The Run Away Wife

The Run Away Wife

A Story by KATHY SUE SILLS
"

Spousal abuse!

"

     As Kaylee stood in front of the mirror watching her husband sleep, she wondered what she ever saw in him.

Love? Yes, he used to show her love and treated as if she were exceptional.  What changed him into the person he is today, she just didn't know. Kaylee winced as searing pain shot through her bruised ribs from the beating that had occurred last night. Everything caused Rich to get angry. She couldn't seem to do anything to please him.

     She'd been in the kitchen, so she could see when Rich pulled in the drive way, so she could put dinner on the table.  The phone had rung.  She had gotten involved talking with her friend she forgot all about dinner and Rich.

Just as, she hung up the phone, he had come through the front door startling her with his entrance.

     "Why is dinner not on the table?" He bellowed.

     Kaylee had tried to explain about her friend calling, but he didn't want to hear what he called excuses. "I'll get it right now," she had tried to reason. "it's in the oven so, it will be warm," she had said.

     Rich had become outraged.  Kaylee had braced herself for the first blow.  He had slung her into the stove causing her to hit her head.  Blood had poured from the cut above her fore head.  She had struggled to her feet only for him to shove her back down. In the end, she had just stayed down as he kicked her again and again. Rich always knew how far he could go with the abuse to keep her from the hospital. He was a doctor and could treat her wounds and breaks that he caused, at home. Once he had broken her right arm, she had begged to go to the hospital. He had just smirked at her, reset her arm and left the room.

     She threaten to leave him numerous times.  Kaylee had gone as for as packing her bags once.  Rich has beaten her until she passed out.  For days he kept her locked in the basement, treating her like a caged animal. Last night was the last straw. She knew if she stayed he would eventually kill her. She walked quietly from the room. The sleeping pills she had slipped in his night cap still had him knocked out. She was leaving him, but had no family to go to. Kaylee thought about her friend Sarah, but didn't want to endanger her life. Kaylee was on her own.

*************************************************

     Kaylee had been drving for two weeks. She only took time to stop for gas, and to use the rest room. She was bone tired and hurt all over. She pulled off the interstate for a bite to eat. She got out the car and immediately felt ill. She walked into the cafe and looked around for the rest room.

      "You ant from around here, are you?" A waitress with too much perfume on asked.

     "I'm just passing through," Kaylee managed to say before she passed out.

     "Take it easy, Doc Howard will be here shortly," someone said to her as a cold cloth was pressed to her fore head.

     Kaylee tried to get up, but the waitress and some other person wouldn't allow it. "I'm fine," she tried to reassure them. "Just the heat got to me," she continued in a quivery voice.

     She managed to sit up on the little cot. She wanted to leave before questions she didn't want to answer was asked.  She stood up, but the room began to spin and she had to sit back down. tears welled up in her eyes.

     "Miss, just take it easy, we're not going to hurt you," the other person murmured. "Lie back and relax."

     "The cop you called is here!" A lady yelled from the door.

     Kaylee paniced. She jumped to her feet ignoring the pain and dizziness. "I dare you call the cops when I've done nothing wrong!" She screamed. "Get out of my way!" She yelled as she tried to make it to the door.

     "Miss, you're not in any trouble, we just want to help you."

     "What is going on back here?" A voice she recognized asked. "Kaylee Currington, what are you doing in Ohio? He stopped and stared at her. "What in God's name happen to you?"

     "Matt," she began to sob uncontrollably.

     "Sh-Sh-Sh- your safe," he soothed.

     Matt had been Kaylee's best friend in the whole world in grade school, and college. She had often wondered what happen to him. "You live in Ohio?" Her voice barely audible.

     Been living here for about four years now." He held her hand in his. "You want to tell me what happened to your head?" He asked as he moved a piece of hair from her eyes.

     "The less you know the better," she told him. "I need to get going," Kaylee tried to stand, but Matt held her firmly in his embrace.

     "I'm a cop, let me help you," he pleaded.

     "I just need to get as far away from Texas as possible."

     "Doc Howard is here," a lady said from the door way.

     "Thanks Shelia, send Doc on back," Matt instructed.

     "I don't need to see a doctor," Kaylee said as she stood.

     "You either let Doc Howard check you over, or we'll go to the hospital," he stated.

     A middle-age man entered the room. "I want bite," he grinned.

     Kaylee gave up and sit back down on the cot. Matt stepped out the way. Kaylee winced as Doc Howard touched her bruised ribs.  Once again she felt dizzy. Doc Howard asked a few questions she reluctantly answered.

**************************************************

     Rich pulled his car into the cafe. He grinned as he saw Kaylee's car, the tracking device had worked.  The detective had earned his money too.

     Rich entered the cafe, gun in hand. "Kaylee, I know you're in here!" He yelled. "Come out come out where ever you are," he sing song.

     She made a move toward the door. Matt stopped her. "Is that the monster of a husband you married?"

     All she could do was nod. Her whole body trembled in fear, not only for her life, but for every one here. "just let me go," she ordered.

     "And have him beat on you some more," Matt said angrily. "I take he did this to you?" He asked as he took his gun from the holster.

     Matt told her to stay hidden. He headed to the front of the cafe. Kaylee could hear a dispute.  She walked out to where her husband stood with a gun on Shelia.

     "Rich, let her go," Kaylee cried.

     He shoved Shelia to the floor and aimed the gun at her. Kaylee saw Matt out the corner of her eye. He motioned for her to duck down. Kaylee was so scared but she did as Matt instructed.  Guns went off.  Rich fell to the floor with a bullet to the chest.

     Matt rushed to Kaylee's side. "Is he dead?" She asked.

     "No, but it's bad," Matt told her.

     Police cars and an ambulance pulled up at the cafe. Rich was taken to the hospital where he under went surgery.  He woul live. He promised Kaylee that she would never be rid of him. She would pay one day.

© 2011 KATHY SUE SILLS


Author's Note

KATHY SUE SILLS
Hope you like! Please tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a very powerfull story, one I hope is entirely fiction!
It can use a bit of editing to fix a few things, none of wich I will pont out. I'm not an editor, just a few things I noticed. Behond that It is a very good story. I was inthrawled and hope to read more. Perhaps of Kaylees revenge upon Rich. He would deserve whatever he gets!

Posted 12 Years Ago


WOAH! Great story, blew me away..

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great story! I noticed a few typos.
I loved the transitions of the story.
Made the story more interesting for me.
Hope to read more of your stories.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Definitely has the hook .... but seemed like a rough ending to me .... how about giving the end a twist and leave it on the reader to guess what happened next?


Posted 12 Years Ago


Wonderful write..!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very suspenseful and the reader can't help but care what happens to Kaylee. I'm like some of your other reviewers, I'm wondering if that human monster will show up in her life sometime in the future like he promised to finish the job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Awesome! Very believable story. It IS very powerful. It ending was rather sinister and scary. I'm hoping she never sees him again. People do get out of jail who don't deserve to. Very enjoyable read. You're a excellent storyteller!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow! That was short, to the point and powerful! You managed to 'hit the nail on the head' with spousal abuse. Bravo!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was a very true to life story. It flowed well. A very engaging read. You write well. Thankyou.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very engaging and emotional story. Too bad the guy lived and will be coming after her again someday. Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

796 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 21, 2011
Last Updated on June 22, 2011
Tags: Husband, Wife, Abuse

Author

KATHY SUE SILLS
KATHY SUE SILLS

Harrisville, MS



About
check out! www.facebook.com/twinoneandtwintwo Hello writercafe friends. I've been on this site for a few years! I stopped writing for a while, and trying to get back into it! When I joined this sit.. more..

Writing