Style Points

Style Points

A Story by Alice Poppy
"

Just a guy giving props where props are due.

"

They almost charged me with my dad’s death, almost. I told them I didn’t do it, told them that if I did I would have hung him by his toes, craved the name of every person he tortured into his skin, and then set him on fire so he could scream like they did. This guy, this guy decided to be creative, which gets him some style points from me. That dude dragged my dad across the entire country, lopping off little bits and pieces of the monster and leaving them at all the important landmarks. A finger taped to the side of the Seattle Space Needle in Washington, Abraham Lincoln got a big toe in his lap in D.C., and Dad’s nose got to be tacked to the world’s largest ball of twine in Kansas. Somehow, he was alive to the very end, all the way up to his head being chucked through Mr. President's window.


© 2016 Alice Poppy


Author's Note

Alice Poppy
I wrote this for a contest, and it was pretty fun! Remember that anything helps and I hope you enjoy the story at least a little bit!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Whoa! Very graphic. I'd be interested to know what the father did to deserve something like that.

The one piece of criticism comes from the end. When I read "Mr. President" I think of THE President (like, of the US), as I'm sure most people do. I just can't imagine someone being able to run up on the lawn of the White House with a severed head and getting close enough to throw it through a window. Even if it was a car window, he wouldn't get close to the motorcade. If the story was totally ridiculous, that would be fine. The problem is that the murderer's actions, while extreme, are believable up to that point. In other words, for the first five sentences, I can read this and imagine it actually happened. However, when I get to the last, I can't suspend my disbelief anymore. In fact, it's great just up to the last three words.

I know it might look like a negative review, but it was really just a long description of one thing. Overall, I liked the story, and I appreciate the creativity behind it, especially the torture process.

Definitely in the top three contenders for the contest.

Posted 7 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Alice Poppy

7 Years Ago

Thanks a lot, I'll work on picking a more believable closing sentence should I ever do something lik.. read more
Woah im not just saying this because you said mine was good but your is very good. I love the use of description and the back story on how her/his father met their demise. I really like how i can picture the character and get an extensive idea on their personality. Defiantly going to be tough competition in this contest but you may very well likely take home gold.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Alice Poppy

7 Years Ago

Hey, thanks man! I was really worried I used too much description and not enough story here, good lu.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 27, 2016
Last Updated on August 27, 2016
Tags: contest, death, six sentences

Author

Alice Poppy
Alice Poppy

Lebanon, OR



About
I'm a pretty young person, going into my sophomore year now if that counts as young, but I've wanted to be an author for ages. I've never really had people who could help me out with that, though, of .. more..

Writing
The Day The Day

A Story by Alice Poppy


Young Love Young Love

A Story by Alice Poppy


Jackie Jackie

A Story by Alice Poppy