I'll bury you in the soil where I lied.

I'll bury you in the soil where I lied.

A Poem by Roxanne Aponte

The mess is I as I lie. I never go to bed before 4am and I always unconsciously sit near the emergency exit. Could I be willing to lie under the dirt further beneath the sky of our promised land? Choose hell over heaven, though maybe you were hell all along, and I never really completely made my home within the fire. I've checked into a blue room in purgatory where I stay still for a while. The manager has no face because nothing breathes here. Time has stopped until we may be free to burn or fly. It hurts more to be in eternal sameness.

When I get home I'm going to mimic the waiting ward and wallpaper my little house with flowers. There will be weeds in the garden. I will greet them with my bare feet after I grow my home myself. These flowers will never die unless they peel in the time of our lives and after another hundred lies. My wallpaper has a lot of secrets, because after all it's a mask! I have to make these walls look pretty so they're less threatening though it's hard not to hide things inside the creases.

My garden of weeds is the only thing that is real and they eat everything in sight. They aren't beautiful but there aren't words between the lines either; only truths in their roots.

If he touches me you die.

© 2010 Roxanne Aponte


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The inner world is often more beautiful and vibrant than the outer.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dang! This is emotionaly raw and to the bitter core. You withhold power.
I enjoyed your last three lines. Very powerful write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


"I never really completely made my home in the fire" that was prob my fav line. This comes dangerously close to prose (albeit good prose, but then u insert great lines like that, rewarding the reader. I also dig "only truths in their roots" (excuse the pun0 and the ending was great, even tho initially I thought "heaven, purgatory,hell - weeds?" the theme changes suddenly, but somehow it works.
The lines I thought were a little cheezy "choose hell over heaven" "free to burn or fly" and u had some grammatical/punctuational oddities, which I'm not sure that ur doing on purpose ";only truths in their roots" is a fragment" for example...and PLEASE don't tell me poetry's too sacred for grammar,punctuation and spell check lol If it's done intentionally, that's just another layerer for the reader to ponder - if not - fix them. Well, that's my 2cents...it was a good read.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

440 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2010
Last Updated on February 26, 2010

Author

Roxanne Aponte
Roxanne Aponte

Brooklyn, NY



About
I've been writing since I was a child: stories, poetry, much of it personal as I've been an avid journal writer for many years. I write mainly for the cathartic release. My love of words is a passion .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..