The Rise of Man

The Rise of Man

A Story by inksword
"

A reluctant solider is forced back into battle when the Xeno take the only thing he cares about. His family. Will he be able to stop them in time or will this once hero's tale be a tragedy?

"

The cold wind blew into the mountain side cabin as Kael huddle around the table with the others. The only light coming from the flicking flames in the fire place. The cold both attacking them and protecting them.

                “Sargent, we need your help. We need someone with your skills.”

                “I told you General I’m not going to go back to that. I’m not a solider anymore. So don’t treat me like one”

                “And I’m no longer your General but here we are having this conversation. Face it, after the Xeno landed everyone is a soldier. We need soldiers like you. We need someone that we can count on Sargent.”

                “Don’t call me that. I’m not going to go back. That life took everything from me I’m not going. Besides were safe here. They won’t come near the cold we all know that. So what do you need me for? To get back they what they have destroyed? I don’t see a point in it and you can’t change my mind.”

                “This is everyone problem Kale. I thought you of all people would see that. They are still making raids on the survivor’s camps. There not killing them. They are taking the hostage and experimenting on them. It’s only a matter of time until they find a way to the battle the cold. Then what Kale. Where are you going to hide then?” General Addams slammed the door behind him as he left Kales cabin.

                Kale stocked the fire for the night and curdled up on his coat. Pulling the blankets up high on his face and gripping the neck of his rife. Some habits just don’t go away I guess.

                Gun fire to the left. Kale spins around to check on his squad. It’s so hot he can’t see straight. The fairing continues as he counts. Only five. Where are the other two? Where is Timmions and Meeker?

                “Corporal Makov where are Timmions and Meeker?”

                “I don’t know Sarge. They were right behind my when we were in the building. Now there gone.”

                “God damn it Corporal. Radio them figure out where they are. Rod, Kemper you to wet up behind that roof over there. I want you on over watch. If it moves shoot it. Klein you’re with Makov. Malheim you’re with me. “

                The shots grew louder as Kale worked his way back threw the building they were just in. He kept his weapon on the ready. Going as fast as he could without putting Pvt. Malheim in danger. Shouting out for Timmions and Meeker.

                “Wayne over here!” PFC Timmions yelled out from a distance. “They have us pinned down. Meeker was hit, but he’s alive. I don’t know how much longer he will last though.”

                Kale started looking around trying to find a way to his men. Malheim go back to Rod and Kemper tell them to move to the north east side of the building and draw their attention.

                “What about you Sarge?”

                “I’ll be fine. Just go quick.”

                Kale started running up the stairs trying to get to the roof of the building. Flack vest bouncing with every step gear putting extra strain on his already tired body. He bust through the roof top door and run to the front of the building.

                 They men were now shooting on another direction, but it wasn’t where he told his men to be. Where were Rod and Kemper? Why weren’t they drawing the enemy fire? Kale dropped to one knee behind a small section of wall at the corner of the roof. He took aim at the closet enemy waiting for his team to help. The hail of gun fire riddle the building with holes. As every second past his men’s lives seamed closer to an end. Help or not he had to do something.

                He open fire, single shots. Calm, calculated, and precise. Each projectile finding its target without hesitation. Kale held his position tell the dust settled. Once he knew all the enemies were dead he proceed back down to check on his men.   

                “Rod where the f**k where you. I gave you an order.”

                “Sarge, you need to come over here quick.”

                Private Malheim was laying on his back just barely breathing staring straight into the sun. Kale ran to him and tried to help him. He had been shot three times in the side while making the run for the other building. His shallow breathing was beginning to slow. He was dying and there was nothing Kale could do about it.    

                As Kale held his hand Private Malheim whispered “Did you save them Sarge?”

                “You did Raymond. You saved them. Thanks to you they got out alive.”

                Right after he finished his sentence Sargent Kale Wayne felt the life go from Private Malheim’s young body. He tried to hold back the tears as he help the 19 year old now lifeless body.

                Kale sapped awake. Gripping his rife as he tried to contain what he felt. No matter how much time passed he couldn’t ever forget that feeling. He endlessly blamed himself for what happened that day and he could never forgive himself.   

                Kale up and stocked the fire again. He really hated the cold, but it was part of staying alive. He went outside to some water from the well. The sun was just starting to peak over the ridge. It was really a beautiful site, which is crazy to think about being as they lived in such and ugly time.

                Today was Thursday, or fishing day. Kale put on his pack slung his rife over his shoulder and started walking for the lake.

                Before he could make it 30 feet he heard footsteps running up behind him. He spun around to see his nephew running up the hill fishing pole in hand.

                No matter how bad things were Kale could never help but smile when he saw Dylan. He was his sister’s oldest son and Kale’s biggest fan. You would think Kale was superman the way he talked about him. About how he protected his country and is always there for him. Even when Kale came back from the war different Dylan still saw the good in him.

                “You’re not leaving me behind this time.” Dylan exasperated out of breath trying to catch kale before he took off with the morning sun. “

                “We’ll good to see you made it out of bed this time. I was starting to think you didn’t like me anymore.” Kale said with a smirk on his face.

                “Ha you’re so funny Uncle Kale. Sorry I’m not crazy like you and think I need to beat the sun up.”

                “Well there’s a lot to do in a day. Maybe the sun should wake up earlier.” Kale giggled as he handed his nephew his rifle. “Here it’s your turn to be on guard duty.”

                As they started out for the lake Dylan filled Kale in on everything that had been going on in the village. Dylan informed him that some of the men were creating army to protect the village. They wanted to build walls to try to keep others out. Dylan seamed annoyed at the idea.

                “What is wrong with the walls? If they think it will help people feel safe why not?” Kale asked Dylan.

                “Safe, from what? They only real threat is the Xeno. I don’t think a couple of wooden fences are going to keep them out.”

                “Your right, but it’s the idea that helps people feel better. It helps them believe they are safe. That’s important in times like this.”

                “Then why don’t you come talk to them. You could teach them. They could be just like you.”

                “Dylan being just like me isn’t such a good thing. It isn’t something I wish for anyone else to have to deal with. There are a lot of things you are still too young to understand.”

                “I’m 15 most the boys my age are already joining the fight. I’m not too young. I do understand that sometimes there is a need for people to fight and protect themselves and others. So why won’t you teach me?”

                “Haven’t I taught you? Didn’t I teach you how to track, how or fish, how to hunt?

                “Well yeah but that doesn’t teach me how to fight.”

                “No it teaches you how to survive and that all we can do these days Dylan.”

                “But

                “No Dylan I’m not going to condone you joining in on a fight that is going to end with everyone in it dead.”

                “You went to war and you came back fine.”        

                “No I didn’t Dylan. War changes a man. You see and do things that you never should have to. Some day when you’re a little older I’m sure you will understand. Until then drop it.”

                “I’m going to help protect my family Kale! No matter what you say.”      

                “Enough Dylan!”

                “I’m sorry Uncle Kale I just thought if you taught me I might be able to make a difference.”

                “Look Dylan I understand you wont to help protect your Mom and the kids, but your still a kid. I’ll make you a deal. I will start to teach you what I know, but you have to promise me you will stay out of the fight. You will only use it to protect the ones you love.”

      Here is a small part of what im working on. I only have about 15 pages so far. tell me what you think       


 

© 2013 inksword


Author's Note

inksword
very rough raw draft

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on November 25, 2013
Last Updated on November 25, 2013
Tags: Alien Invasion, Army, Fallen Heros, Redepmtion

Author

inksword
inksword

SD



About
I'm a father to be and a former soldier. i would like to point out to everyone before you read my work. I'm dyslexic so some times things are a little jumbled. more..