Fly On The Wall

Fly On The Wall

A Poem by emma
"

When we don't help people in need we become the flies and the world becomes our wall.

"

I watch, I see, I listen.

I watch as the drunken man recklessly drives.

I see the car he is about to hit and know he will end lives.

I listen as the cars collide, a sound like clashing knives.

But I do nothing, for I am a fly on the wall.

 

I watch, I see, I listen.

I watch as the boy opens the bottle and takes the pill.

I see that he has taken too many, enough to kill.

I listen as he retches and cries, and then he goes still.

But I do nothing, for I am a fly on the wall.

 

I watch, I see, I listen.

I watch as the man hits his wife in their own house.

I see the blood soaking through her ratty blouse.

I listen as begs for her life to her angry spouse. 

But I do nothing, for I am a fly on the wall.

 

I watch, I see, I listen.

I watch as the girl pulls out the shining blade.

I see her cut her own wrist, her misery displayed.

I listen as she sighs happily, welcoming the pain she made.

But I do nothing, for I am a fly on the wall.

 

I watch, I see, I listen.

I watch as the girl compares herself to the model’s perfection.

I see that she is struggling to keep away her peer’s rejection.

I listen as she cries about her own reflection.

But I do nothing, for I am a fly on the wall. 

© 2011 emma


Author's Note

emma
To me this poem is not about actual flies, but people who act like them. If you don't help someone when you see them in need, then you become a fly on a wall who just watches.

Please be truthful when reviewing because I'd like to know what you really think of it.

**awarded Made Me Think Poem ♥ in the Your Best Poem contest**
** awarded 2nd runner up in the Just some poems contest**
**awarded 1st in the Poetry contest contest**
**awarded Why aren't you famous yet? in the "Writing is my passion" contest**

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This poem is a true eye opener, definitely with how you kept repeating I am the fly on the wall and I completely agree with what you said. This is beautifully written and very good imagery played in my mind. I must read more of your work and congrats on all your winnings with this beautiful piece

Posted 9 Years Ago


I really like this poem. Very much my style. It's because we al watch as people do things and it bothers us that we can't help. Or change their minds for making bad decisions. For people whom we don't care and even more so for the ones we love.

Thank you Emma.

Posted 10 Years Ago


A splendid read and write...Congratulations...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Congratulations on your recent second place win the "death" contest. Your message is relayed to the reader in a way that makes a poignant statement. At first, I questioned the "duplicate" lines, but then read it again and have come to the conclusion that in my opinion, the repetition actually helps reinforce the message.
We must each do what we can to help others!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


this is a wonderful write thank you for sharing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sadly, this reflects exactly on how some humans will choose the path of least resistance-
It seems to be human nature for one to live up to, or live down to, their own particular choices for their personal expectations of life. I believe your poem demonstrates -with crystal clarity- the ability for human beings to show exactly what their own morals are worth, or in this case, their valueless ethics~ Excellent topic, exceptional writing. pat

Posted 11 Years Ago


You are very inspiring, your work should be more out there you seem as though you are coming from a deeper interest far more than just creativity and a lot of the youth should know about you and your work. Keep doing you!

Posted 11 Years Ago


You did a great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow, this is an amazing and thought provoking piece. I really like this. Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


this was a nice piece:] love how you repeat the "I watch, I see, I listen" it adds a nice flow to it! overall, this was a breathtaking piece! it was very touching and gave a wonderful message that was displayed everywhere here very beautifully! nice write, i enjoyed reading this one! (also enjoyed the rhyme!)

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2970 Views
48 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on September 6, 2011
Last Updated on December 23, 2011

Author

emma
emma

Canada



About
i'm emma and i watch a lot of TV and movies and read a lot of books and come talk to me about that i would love to talk with you also: i write things every once and a while more..

Writing
Inner Demons Inner Demons

A Story by emma



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My God My God

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Lies Lies

A Poem by Robbie~xoxo~