Chapter 24 - My Best Friend

Chapter 24 - My Best Friend

A Chapter by emma

I pretended to be asleep at first, but before long she just opened the door and walked in on me lying on the couch, my eyes wide open. Huh. Guess I hadn’t locked the door . . . oops. Skye looked really pretty. Her golden hair was tied in a loose bun, and a few strands of hair had fallen out. Her lips were coated heavily in shining lip-gloss, and her eyes were framed with mascara and eyeliner. Her shirt was frilly and had sparkly beads around the collar, and her skin-tight jeans hugged her legs perfectly. I was so jealous. I knew I looked bad. I’d slept on the couch, fighting the urge to roll over and kill myself. I probably had vomit on my clothes, if I was unlucky.

 

Skye stood beside the couch, her hands on her hips, poised to begin yelling.

 

“Hi, Skye,” I said weakly.

 

She opened her mouth to say something, when she jerked. She plugged her nose. “Drey, have you been drinking?”

 

Tears rolled onto my cheeks before I had the chance to stop them. “I . . . I just tried it.”

 

Skye leaned down and hugged me tight. She began crying, too, and just held me for about five minutes. Then I sat up and we leaned into each other, the way best friends do.

 

“Skye,” I sniffled. “What did Chase tell you?”

 

She squeezed her eyes shut. “You guys kissed?” I could tell she was straining not to cry more because her voice was really, really high. She always did that when she was struggling with something.

 

“I’m so sorry, Skye, I promise I’ll never do it again.” I needed to her to be my friend right now more than ever.

 

She nodded. “I know . . . but how could you?”

 

“He kissed me.”

 

She nodded again. “I know.”

 

I hugged her closer. “Skye, please don’t hate me.”

 

A sob escaped her lips. “I don’t hate you. I hate myself, for losing the only boy I’ve ever really wanted.”

 

I don’t know how much time we just sat there on my couch, crying and hugging. But the whole ordeal made my forget about my hangover, and by the time I remembered I was supposed to be in pain, I wasn’t.

 

“Skye, why aren’t you mad?” I asked when we were both done crying.

 

“I don’t know. I was. But I guess seeing you helpless and hungover made me realize you’re my best friend, and I needed to put away my stupid feelings for yours.”

 

I choked on my reply, “You are the best friend ever.”

 

She smiled. “I know.”

 

“So what about Chase?” I asked.

 

She sighed. “I guess I’m just going to pretend he ever told me anything. I think that’s the best way to go.”

 

I squeezed her hand. “Good job, Skye.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

 

When Skye left, I threw away the bottle that once held alcohol. I swore to myself I’d never take another sip. Ever. I cleaned up the entire downstairs area, because there were lots of puddles of vomit everywhere. I couldn’t let my grandma know I’d been drinking . . . she’d kill me. I cleaned up any evidence of my night of shame and then decided to take a nap. Exciting, I know.

 

When I heard the door unlock, I rushed to meet my grandma.

 

“Hi, Grandma!” I said cheerfully, trying to make it seem like I hadn’t been drunk twelve hours ago.

 

She hugged me. “Hi, Andrea.”

 

“How’s mom?” I asked.

 

My grandmother sighed. “She’s alright. She’s still bitter she was sent away . . . but she’s apparently responding to the treatment.”

 

“That’s good news.”

 

She nodded. “Yes, I think so.”

 

An unusual awkward silence settled between us. I rocked back on my heels, desperate for her to say something, but she never did. She just stared at me, as if she knew I’d tried the horrid liquid that had ruined my mother. And maybe she did. She always had had good intuition.

 

Someone knocked on the door. I rushed to it, and my heart sped up when I saw who it was. Nate. His hair was clinging to his face, and he was breathing heavily. His eyes were wide and scared.

 

“Nate?”

 

“Andrea, I need to talk to you.”

 

He grabbed my hand and pulled me outside, yanking the door behind me.

 

“What’s going on?” I asked.

 

He ran a shaky hand through his hair and sighed nervously. “I . . . I got possessed today.”

 

Oh. Flashbacks of my first time rush back. I hadn’t understood what anything meant, but I had been scared. That awful pull when the possession was starting and ending was scarring. It was the worst part. I shivered. Nate looked shaken, and I sympathized with him. I noticed our hands were still joined.

 

“Are you okay?” I asked.

 

He looked at me, hidden fear in his eyes. “Not really.”

 

“What’s your favourite thing to do?”

 

“I don’t know . . . eat?”

 

Typical. “Where’d your favourite place to eat?”

 

“Uh, any fast food place.”

 

I sighed. “Okay, well we’ll go to the nearest one.”

 

“What? Why?”

 

“It’ll make you feel better. That’s normally what I do after a possession.”

 

“Eat fast food?” Smart-a*s.

 

“No, do my favourite thing. And since eating fast food is your favourite thing to do, we shall do that.”

 

His eyes lit up. “Really?”

 

“Why not?”

 

I didn’t give him a chance to reply and opened the door again. “Grandma, I’m going out, okay?” I yelled.

 

She was standing just around the corner, I suppose, and grabbed me. She pulled me inside the house, and shut the door behind me. Much like Nate did.

 

“Who’s that boy?” she asked, clearly excited.

 

“A friend,” I said neutrally.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Out.”

 

She made a disgusted noise in the back of her throat, one that said “I can’t believe you won’t tell me!”

 

“Well, be home before dark.”

 

“I will.”

 

“And be safe.”

 

“Grandma, I will.”

 

“Use protection.”

 

“Grandma!”

 

She laughed to herself, and I knew I was blushing. I grabbed my purse from the hook near the door and stomped back outside. Nate was waiting for me, a huge grin plastered on his face. I hoped to God he hadn’t heard any of what was said between my grandma and I. 



© 2011 emma


Author's Note

emma
Skye's awesome...can we all agree? i love that I end almost every chapter on a semi-cliffhanger. anyways, sorry its short again. next one will be good. next one will be interesting...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am such a cheerleader, but d****t! I really am trying to be a very fluent and substance filled writer, just as you are, you make simple things become very touching and meaningful. Good job...

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ahh I love SYke. SHes amazing. Also that joke Grandma made was also amazingg

Posted 12 Years Ago


This made me smile :D YEAH SKYE IS AWESOME!!! she really IS the best friend ever! Sorry I haven't been commenting on every chapter. I just REALLY REALLY LOVE reading it! LOL
~Jasmine thousand~

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
KT
Awesome! :) Loved this chapter. :) Skye is a good friend and I'm glad she forgave Andrea. And NATE!! haha Really starting to love him!! ;D Keep up the excellent work, m'dear!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


"Use protection" you make her sound like Celina lol XDD love the chp.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Skye IS awesome! She seems like the genuine best friend. And ohh lala!!! A date?!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Laughing so hard at the last part. Your chapters brighten up my whole day! :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


loving the humor!!:D "use protection" that was a good one. also thought in most of your chapters Skye was usually the one crying, and lets say more on the fragile side. here she also cried, but i see a stronger Skye! she finally let go of Chase and realized she should be worried about her friendship with Andrea, not Chase. cant wait to see whats to come!! :]

Posted 12 Years Ago


OMG!! FINALLY!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


oh yeah by the way LOVE Nate !

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

762 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 16, 2011
Last Updated on December 16, 2011

Ghombie Whisperer


Author

emma
emma

Canada



About
i'm emma and i watch a lot of TV and movies and read a lot of books and come talk to me about that i would love to talk with you also: i write things every once and a while more..

Writing
Fly On The Wall Fly On The Wall

A Poem by emma



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..