Chapter 29 - Penelope and Dean

Chapter 29 - Penelope and Dean

A Chapter by emma

-Skye-

 

I paced the length of the small room I shared with Penelope. She was my roommate in my witch training school, and my closest friend here. But she didn’t even compare to Drey. She was the best friend I’d ever had, and always will be.

 

I glanced at the clock. Only 4:10. I wasn’t supposed to meet up with Andrea until five. We needed to sort out all of our Chase issues, and we needed to do it the way best friends do: break down and cry, and let out everything in hysterical little bubbles of speech. That’s the way to do it.

 

Penelope entered our room and groaned. “Ugh, I have a huge test tomorrow and I’ve been too lazy to study.”

 

“Story of my life,” I muttered under my breath. “What’s your test on?”

 

“I have to perform a serious of spells in under ten minutes.”

 

“How many spells?”


“Six.”

 

“Oh.” Six spells was a lot for less than ten minutes. Penelope was a year ahead of me, so she was constantly scaring me with the things I’ll have to do next year.

 

“Wanna help me practice?” She gave me puppy dog face, and pouted her lips.

 

“I can’t. I’m meeting someone soon.” Too bad “soon” was just under an hour.

 

She perked up. “A new man? I cannot wait for you to stop crying over Chase.”

 

I sighed and looked away. “No, its Andrea.”

 

“Oh, well, have fun.”

 

I looked back over at Penelope. She had the curliest hair ever. It framed her face nicely, even the colour, which was a pale blonde. Her eyes were a faded blue, but they suited her. There was nothing outstanding and eye-catching about Penelope, except maybe her laugh. But nothing physical. She was an average girl, with an above average sense of humour. She laughed at all my jokes, and was witty. Her laugh was loud an obnoxious, but adorable at the same time. It stood out.

 

“I will, thanks.”

 

I grabbed my jacket and decided to leave early. Maybe get a snack from the cafeteria or something. Study for my own tests in the library. Sit somewhere and think about Chase. I started to make my way down the long hallway, watching my feet hit the carpet as I went. I almost bashed in Christi Hawn, but managed to dodge her before we collided. I went down all the way to the library, sat in of the big bean bag chairs, and just stared into space.

 

Thoughts tumbled through my jumbled mind, all revolving back to Chase and Andrea kissing. I wondered how long it lasted. I wondered if she kissed back, or if he was doing all the work while she stood there uselessly. I wondered if she liked it. I even wondered if he still tasted like mint, like he had last time I’d kissed him. My stomach ached when that line popped into mind. The last time I’d kissed him. That had been so long ago, back when we were innocent and didn’t know the meaning of the term “heartbreak.”

 

Someone pulled up the other beanbag chair beside me and dropped into it. I turned and smiled at Dean just as he was flicking his brown hair out of his eyes.

 

“Hey, Dean,” I said.

 

“What’s up, loner?” he asked me jokingly.

 

I rolled my eyes, but smiled. “Just thinking.”

 

“About?”

 

“Stuff.”

 

“Thanks for trusting me, Blue. Means a lot.”

 

I punched his arm and laughed. He started calling me Blue the second he learned my name was Skye. He said that whenever he heard anyone say sky, his mind flashed blue, and since my name was Skye, it only fit that I be named Blue. I didn’t mind. I thought the nickname was quirky enough to fit me.

 

Dean’s been another close friend of mine for a few months now. We have broomstick lessons together, which is where we met. He’s the joking friend I need when I’m down, and since Andrea’s not there, and Chase isn’t an option, he’s my lifeline. I would be a hell of a bigger mess if it weren’t for him. I’ve been trying to set him up with Penelope for a few weeks, since it seems like he has some sort of thing for her. He denies it every time I bring it up, but he’s always smiling and blushing.

 

“You’re welcome, Deany.”

 

He groaned. “Please stop calling me that.”

 

I laughed, and gave him a smirk. “But its so adorable!”

 

He growled playfully and pretended to slash my neck and kill me. I played along and fake-died. I was laughing hysterically when the librarian came up to us and shushed me. I muffled my giggles, but it was hard.

 

I pulled out my phone to check the time and was surprised to find it was already ten to five. “Crap. I’m late! I gotta go, Dean. See you tomorrow.”

 

He grabbed my arm as I was getting up. “Where are you going?”

 

“I’m meeting my friend Andrea,” I explained. “She’s my best friend, the one I told you about.”

 

“Can I come with?” he asked me.

 

I hadn’t ever imagined Dean and Andrea meeting. They existed in two different worlds to me, and it felt like they shouldn’t be allowed to meet. I’d vaguely told Andrea about Dean, but not in detail. She only knew we were friends and hung out a lot on school grounds. But I still shrugged and nodded at Dean.

 

“I don’t see why not.”

 

Dean smiled at me. “Good, because I was coming anyways. I’m tired of only hearing about the amazing Andrea. I want to meet her.”

 

“Hopefully she’s not possessed tonight,” I said and crossed my fingers, then held them up for Dean to see.

Yes, Dean knows Andrea’s a ghombie whisperer. Yes, he believes me, despite what all the teachers say. I tell this kid everything, and I mean everything. He knows my menstrual cycle down pat these days.

 

We started walking out of the library when I saw Doug, that guy I pretended to like when I was still in my must-win-back-Chase phase. He stared at me with hateful eyes, and I put my head down in shame. I’d heard rumours that I had basically torn him apart with my fake date with him. I had apologized dozens of times, but not once has he accepted it. Dean noticed him too and leaned down close to my ear.

 

He whispered, “Don’t make yourself feel worse: ignore him, Blue.”


I nodded and kept going, forcing myself to look straight ahead. Dean’s body brushed against mine as we walked, and I breathed easier knowing he was there. 



© 2011 emma


Author's Note

emma
Dean is one of my new favourite characters. i just love him! anyways, first in Skye's POV. i think i'll do a lot in Skye's, just because i like writing in Skye's world. okay, i'm going to continue on to writing the next chapter now, so stay tuned and enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

“I have to perform a serious of spells in under ten minutes.”
I think you meant series.
Yay, I like the new POVs because they answer some of my questions and they're just really good!

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
KT
Love this chapter. :) Dean's great, I hope he shows up more. Excellent job! :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like Skye, I like her world, I like Dean, and I like this chapter!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Loving this view into other people's lives! Excited to see Andrea and Dean meet.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Kay I can't wait to see more of dean, I love him already ! Yeah so many new chapters, loving it. Can't wait for more.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Skye's world is amazing!!!!! I love it!!! I want to read more in Skye's pov. It sounds like she has a lot to say it seems. She is a very very amazing girl!! And I like Dean.... He's interesting...

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

590 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 25, 2011
Last Updated on December 25, 2011

Ghombie Whisperer


Author

emma
emma

Canada



About
i'm emma and i watch a lot of TV and movies and read a lot of books and come talk to me about that i would love to talk with you also: i write things every once and a while more..

Writing
Fly On The Wall Fly On The Wall

A Poem by emma



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


101 101

A Poem by paparapapa


Boy and Girl {2} Boy and Girl {2}

A Story by emma