One More Drink

One More Drink

A Poem by emma

Just one swig, just one sip,

One more feel of glass on lip.

Slosh it down, drink it up,

Drain all the beer in that cup.

 

Dear friend, why don’t you just stop?

Release the drink, let it drop.

Why must you torture yourself so?

Can’t you just let her go?

 

Her hair, her eyes, her laugh, her smile,

All parts of her he hasn’t seen in a while.

Lives change, but memories don’t,

You can try to forget, but you won’t.

 

She’s moved on, she’s long gone,

She’s no longer someone to dwell on.

She’s happy without you, friend,

For you two, this is the end.

 

Loved her then, loves her still,

She’s left a void he can’t fill.

So he’ll take another drink, another sip,

It’s just the pain he wants to skip.

 

You’ll try and keep her out,

Try and live without.

Drown your misery with a drink,

Block out the time to think.

 

But it won’t stop, it won’t end,

You can’t even stop and pretend.

This has gotten too big, too grand,

She’s become too big a demand.

© 2012 emma


Author's Note

emma
just something that popped into my head. tell me what you think. oh and if you have any better ideas for the title i would greatly appreciate it! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Lives change, but memories don’t,
You can try to forget, but you won’t."
So much truth in this poem - well written, I love the flow - these two lines spoke to me in particular - as hard as we wish and try to forget, whatever measures we take to accomplish the goal of forgetfulness (in this case the destruction of braincells by drinking heavily and/or the brief bliss of oblivion in the state of intoxication), those damn relentless memories will always stick around unchanging.
Of course it can be great to have happy memories of the past to hold onto, but they can be tormenting as well.
An awesome story of a person trying to replace what he really wants (his loved one) with a poor substitute (booze) as well.
Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Cat
I really like the rhythmic balance. The first stanza almost feels like I'm drinking the words as I read them, ver nice.

Posted 8 Years Ago


So real. You connect to your emotions. It's really amazing and something i envy. Even though the feeling might not be real, or something you are really feeling, you are able to express whats on your mind.

Posted 10 Years Ago


The structure of this poem is strangely quirky, yet the poem itself is nothing but that. I felt the despair and desperation in your words. That tiny spark of specious hope a drunken man grasps onto is painfully tragic in the most bittersweet way.

Good Job

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
KT
This poem is amazing. I love the flow and word choices. It sounds like it would make a great song too! Put it to guitar and I bet it would be epic! Awesome work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love this! And I know how it's hard to sometimes get over someone you loved so dearly. Great job on this and the title is perfect. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


"Lives change, but memories don’t,
You can try to forget, but you won’t."
So much truth in this poem - well written, I love the flow - these two lines spoke to me in particular - as hard as we wish and try to forget, whatever measures we take to accomplish the goal of forgetfulness (in this case the destruction of braincells by drinking heavily and/or the brief bliss of oblivion in the state of intoxication), those damn relentless memories will always stick around unchanging.
Of course it can be great to have happy memories of the past to hold onto, but they can be tormenting as well.
An awesome story of a person trying to replace what he really wants (his loved one) with a poor substitute (booze) as well.
Great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

In a vain attempt to get certain women out of their systems, I have seen men drink, drug and w***e for over forty years. They wish to be forgiven; they wish to have forgetfulness; they really wish to die.
"One More Drink" well captures that futility.
Impressive work, ^Emma!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great poem! I enjoyed reading it. The title is great, don't change it. I like the idea of the beer filling up this void she left in him. I also love the verses with the sensible friend (or is it his conscience?) telling him to stop drinking.
I love this poem!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Oh this does match the title perfectly! I just could feel the movement of the poem as it ended with that last stanza. Wonderful job!

~Lizzy~

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think the title matches it just fine!
For some reason, reading this, I thought of Billy's Got HIs Beer Goggles On- Neal McCoy.
"He's on the dance floor yelling Free Bird
Singin' off pitch, but he knows every word.
Grabs him a girl and he holds on tight
He's chasin' everything in sight.
He'll fall apart when he gets home,
But right now his worries are gone.
'Cause life looks good, good, good.
When Billy's got his beer goggles on.*


Haha, but I know this is supposed to be a serious poem.
It's written quite well and the rhyme is efforless, as it seems.
It makes you think that no matter what you do, how you do it; you just can't get someone off your mind once they're in there.

-Marie Riorden-

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

835 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on March 21, 2012
Last Updated on March 21, 2012

Author

emma
emma

Canada



About
i'm emma and i watch a lot of TV and movies and read a lot of books and come talk to me about that i would love to talk with you also: i write things every once and a while more..

Writing
Fly On The Wall Fly On The Wall

A Poem by emma


Inner Demons Inner Demons

A Story by emma



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Greed Greed

A Poem by Tate Morgan