Chapter 43 - The Choices We Make

Chapter 43 - The Choices We Make

A Chapter by emma

-Skye-

 

Andrea, please wake up,” I cried.

 

She didn’t budge. Just laid there on that floor, in the hallway, her face crumpled in what seemed to be pain. Unmoving.

 

I toppled to my butt, threw myself across her middle section and then I cried. I cried for my best friend, and how it was so awful that she was here and this was happening and life was unfair and I was so scared and I didn’t want to lose her again, but that’s what seemed to be happening. I missed her. I missed her smile and her laugh and her advice and her teasing and her support everything else that came with best friend. But here she was, unconscious and not moving. Breathing, yes. But that wasn’t enough to give me hope.

 

After awhile, a hand touched my back. I looked up into Dean’s eyes. He was scared, I could tell. He seemed to be begging me with his eyes to get going, that it wasn’t safe here. I’d totally forgotten him and Chase were even here.

 

“I can’t leave her,” I said, my voice cracking.

 

“We aren’t going to, Blue,” he said and smiled the tiniest smile.

 

And that coupled with my nickname (which I haven’t been called in a while) made me feel slightly better. But only slightly.

 

“Yeah, we are not leaving her. Ever again,” Chase piped up.

 

I sent him an annoyed look, but didn’t say anything. Dean helped me to my feet, and then Chase grabbed hold of Andrea and slung her into his arms.

 

“I don’t like this arrangement one bit,” I muttered. It was only after Dean raised his eyebrows at me that I realized I’d said it louder than intended.

 

Chase gave me an angry look. “Oh yeah? Why not?”

 

My nostrils flared “Because you--”

 

Dean interrupted me. “Can we fight later? Chase is going to carry Andrea out, Skye, whether you like it or not.”

 

I pouted but didn’t object. And so we walked down the hallways, past all these closed doors until we stumbled upon an open one. And I saw Nate lying on his back in the cell that girl had been in.

 

“Oh, God, Nate!” I shouted and rushed for him.

 

He was still unconscious. Still bloody and battered. But still Nate.

 

“Dean?” I called out weakly.

 

He was there in an instant, scooping up Nate from the bloodied stone floor and hoisting him into his arms. I squeezed his arm.

 

“I owe you, Deany,” I whispered to him.

 

He smiled at me and grunted, “I know.”

 

And onward we went. But we made it about ten paces before there was a cold presence hanging over us, and I shivered. I looked to Dean, who was chattering his teeth. He felt it, too. And then, oh God then something started to materialize from the nothing in the hallway. A man, but in a very blue hue. I watched, fascinated, as his face and hands and body began to take on a sharper shape right in front of us. Then he was standing right there, fully formed and grinning.

 

“Hello there,” he said in a deep, raspy voice. “I see you’ve got two of my little friends.”

 

“And we’ll just be taking them now, if you please,” Chase said. To me, it sounded like he was speaking through gritted teeth.

 

The man laughed. “I don’t think so.”

 

“Are you a ghombie?” I asked, terrified of his answer.

 

He turned to me and I gasped when I saw the complete and utter white of his eyes. White and only white. “Why, yes. But I already know you’re next question.” He grinned, then began to imitate my voice. “How can we see you if we aren’t ghombie whisperers?”

 

I swallowed the lump in my throat.

 

“Well, my dear, the answer is simple . . .” He paused for dramatic effect and took a few steps forward so he was directly in front of me. A little scream escaped my lips as I hopped back, knocking into Dean. “I am just that powerful.”

 

Right then, the girl that Nate had been laying on came thrashing into the room. Except she was struggling against something I couldn’t see. More ghombies. There was a crazed panic in her eyes, and tears streaming down her face. Her hair was in disarray, and there were scratches all up the lengths of her arms. We made eye contact, and I swear she mouthed, help me.

 

“Camille!” boomed the ghombie.

 

She cringed and made a sound in the back of her throat.

 

“I’d like you to meet your deciding fate.” He gestured to Dean, Chase and I.

I wrinkled my nose, confused.

 

The ghombie picked up on it. “Dear Skye--”

 

I had no idea how he knew my name.

 

“--there is no need to be confused! I’m simply telling Camille that you and your two friends will decide what happens to her.”

 

“What do you mean?” Dean asked, hesitant.

 

The ghombie smiled. “I mean that you three shall decide if Camille here lives or dies.”

 

My mouth dropped open, but I still sputtered, “Lives! She lives!”

 

Again, the ghombie smiled. “You may want to rethink that answer when I tell you what the catch is if you save her.”

 

We all patiently waited for him to explain.

 

“If you save Camille, Andrea will be killed. If you keep Andrea, Camille will be killed. It’s that simple.”

 

I shook my head. “No. No, that’s not--no.”

 

The ghombie’s laugh was so loud I swear I’d be able to hear it miles away. “Oh, but yes, Skye, yes.”

 

I looked up at Camille. She chose this moment to speak.

 

“Please, dear God, please don’t let him kill me! Please! I’ll do anything you want, just don’t let him kill me!”

 

She was crying, she was screaming, she was ripping my heart in two. Because the choice really was not a choice at all. I wasn’t leaving Andrea.

 

“I . . . I’m so sorry,” was all I said.

 

Dean yanked my hand, pulling me backwards and sending me tumbling into him. He had set Nate down behind Chase, who was still holding tightly to Andrea.

 

“Skye, listen to me. I know she’s your best friend, but she may never wake up and Camille is alive and well. We cannot abandon a living person for someone who might very well die at any moment.”

I growled back, “Dean, I am never losing her again. Don’t even try to stop me.”

 

I turned back to the ghombie, then glanced at Camille. “Kill--”

 

“NO!” Dean shouted and grabbed my hand again.

 

But it was too late. The words were already soaring out of my mouth. “--Camille.”

 

“No! No, no, no!” She screamed, and just then I started to regret my decision.

 

I couldn’t just kill an innocent person. Like Dean said, Andrea might never wake up. But I didn’t say anything at all when the ghombie grabbed Camille’s wrist, despite her furious thrashing, and stared directly into her eyes. Within seconds, she was collapsing into the invisible arms, which then set her down gentler than I would’ve expected. She was dead, and by my command. Dead.

 

Dead.

 

Dead, as in no longer living.

 

D-E-A-D.

 

Dead.

 

I gasped, horrified with myself, and tripped as I stumbled backwards. I fell onto my butt and sat there, staring at the dead body of Camille, which was alive just seconds ago.

 

The ghombie grinned and I cried. “Now,” he said loudly. “About that Nate fellow.”



© 2012 emma


Author's Note

emma
intense, i know. but long! yay! alright, thats two chapters out tonight, lets see if i can get a third! thank you for reading! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh my gosh! I was NOT expecting that! Oh Camille, may you rest in peace~ Please don't come back :( That would be too sad!

Posted 11 Years Ago


OH MY GOSH. OMG OMG CAMILLE DEAD BY SKYE'S COMMAND?! OMG OMG OMG *READS ON*

Posted 12 Years Ago


No.you are horrible Emma!! YOU DEVIL I DON'T LIKE THIS. IM MAD NOW. THANK YOU FOR THAT.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Camille is DEAD? NOOOO!!!!!! What about Nate and Andrea? :''''( MUST READ ON

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Oh dear! Poor Camille:(
Couldn't they fight him and Skye and Dean use some magical powers or something? Something's telling me this mystery man wants to kill someone else!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AWW, Poor Camille.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

504 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 23, 2012
Last Updated on March 23, 2012

Ghombie Whisperer


Author

emma
emma

Canada



About
i'm emma and i watch a lot of TV and movies and read a lot of books and come talk to me about that i would love to talk with you also: i write things every once and a while more..

Writing
Fly On The Wall Fly On The Wall

A Poem by emma



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..