Taking off Ceremony

Taking off Ceremony

A Chapter by Irenic
"

the colors of Pakistani College life

"

Students in rows under the heat of scorching sun in the month on May in white shirt and dark blue pant of uniform were boys and white Shalwar kameez having dark blue strip on collar and pocket and  wearing dark blue dupatta were the girls.

The usual way of standing girls in left boys in right of higher secondary (9-10) section and college in front of stage, secondary(6-8) section in 3 vertical rows but at the corner, primary(1-5) in two vertical rows one grade and two grade students in one row and 3 to 5 grade students in second row but in the corridor of building which was in the right of stage and students could see but not properly and pre-primary(lower nursery and upper nursery) section was standing in horizontal lines very near the stage at right side,  and singing Qaumi tarana took place which made the students bored.

But today I mean on Monday 2nd of May 2007, they didn’t get bored in assembly in fact they were excited and their eyes were opened completely because it was not a normal and usual day for Dafftians.

“Today is very special day for you students”, Miss. Ann walked on stage with delight. “Today, these prefects who splited water on your pre planned moments of joy”. She stopped at left of stage moved her fair hand at left towards the line of prefects of last session who were still in college, gave already spread news to Dafftians with her resplendent smile, expressions and actions. “dear prefects you are waiting for what?”, hand on her waist with fake cute expressions she said on stage to prefects of ex session who were smiling and  still standing “Come on stage, and bring smile!”, she exclaimed, laughing with delight.

Shazia, assistant prefect came on stage looking decent and simple in school uniform and braid. She came in the centre of the stage. The eyes of everyone were on her. The sash of half maroon and half white color worn around the body draped from right shoulder to left hip on which “ASSISSTANT PREFECT” was written from white and maroon thread in cursive, by her was going to be taken off by her with her own hands.

“Our Taking Off ceremony begins from the taking off sash of Shazia”, Miss Ann, standing at the corner of the stage near the giant speaker in black and red Shalwar Kameez. She was looking so pretty that her beauty described in two words was easy “Black Beauty”.

She took out the the pin from it from her own hands sash and put it on the small wooden brown table placed near to her. She took her sash which gave her respectable honour over her head from the shoulder and put it on the table.

“Taking Off ceremony is ceremony in which our prefects, strictness and discipline maintainers take off their honourable sash and gown”, the recalling about Taking off ceremony by Miss Ann was amazing because of her accent.

Jameela came on stage and took off her sash in the same manner.

“the gowns and sashes of prefects maintain our culture, the Dafftians culture and history of Dafftians which we are have been using since 1980”, the information given by her moved thweir eyes from Kamran who was taking off half blue and half white sash to her “Ohhh”, they exclaimed with astonishment.

After 17 female Assistant prefects, it was the turn of male Assistant prefects to take off their sash whch provide them respect and honour.

Kamran who was quiet tall  and used to wear glasses because of which he look nerd, came in the centre of stage took off his sash which he draped from left shoulder to right hip on which ASSISTANT PREFECT was written from blue and white thread. He taking off and everyone were watching him with delight and opened eyes but not for complete moment because Miss Ann’s words moved their eyes from centre to corner at her.

The shocking eyes of students looking at her made her laugh “Ha ha ha” and come in centre “"Look at him!", looking at students and moved her right hand towards Kamran who had took off the sash already, she exclaimed but set smile on her face "he is more important than me!".The students laughed and looked at him. He moved down from the stage.

"Before calling our highly honourable three prefects that is HMP, HFP and HAP, I want to tell you something", she announced in her perfect and formal accent with heart throbbing, but her announcement made Lazy Farhan lazier “Again history”, he yawned, bending shoulders expressing restlessness sleep which he had last day, while standing in a line behind his class fellow, Anthony.

 

“According to the rules and regulations we order our prefects who left the college or have to come but after few months to come and attend taking off ceremony”, She moved her right hand towards the left side where prefects were standing, stated friendly smiling and moving her eyes to express her fun loving personality. Everyone liked to talk and share thoughts with her. Her black curly hair suited on her hour-glass body shape which was prominent very much.

“Because we have to use these respect giving garments for years to keep our culture and heritage alive”, she moved her hands according to the words,  right hand on which she was wearing silver bangles above her head like princess of subcontinent, and stood straight like women used to and blushed heartily.

“Our hourable three prefects please come up on the stage”, she stood in front of the prefects asked three honorable of them to come up on the stage.

 As the line of three prefects stepping forwards the noise of clapping was getting louder. But children did not want to clap they were clapping because teachers were forcing them to do so.

Majority of the students were sleepy. As they came up on the stage finally, the sound or noise students making by hands gradually stopped, but the stopping started by boys.

Under the heat of scorching sun everyone was standing, teachers should try to end the ceremony as soon as they could but they did not instead of Miss Ann started to ask questions to three to extend the ceremony when they were going to taking off their gowns but sudden voice of beautiful and elegant Miss Ann “Wait!”, stopped their hands at once which were at their shoulder to take off the gowns and came on its side.

 

"Let me ask you questions, first!" she exclaimed childishly a bit. 

She was enjoying on that sunny day, opposite to the students, who were murmuring "Is ko sawalon ki pari hai, hamari to pari hi nahi hai" (she is worried about asking questions, not worried about us!), standing in their queue

"Waqar!" she said on mike standing beside the three main prefects standing in straight line in front of numerous queues of students, in side pose.

Waqar, ex H.M.P (Head of Male Prefects), standing at the left side of the line, near the most beautiful and Pakistani looking Miss Ann, looked at her, he blushed. 

"You are so strict with girls", she came near him, put her soft and chubby hand on his shoulder dramatically, saying like as if drama is going on.

Before he say something she moved away from him little by setting shocking expressions on her face "I don't say it they complained me", beside her shocking expressions she moved her hands according to the words. 

He want to tell that he was not strict only with girls he was strict with boys too but he couldn’t until mike was not given to him by a peon who was standing near the stage at right side near the giant black speaker from which mikes were  connected he passed blue mike to Waqar, who shorter than her. He received mike from him, but before getting a mike, before connecting the mike he was smiling with teeth which he was exposing, but he smiling with bowed head because he couldn’t face her. Everyone seeing him some were laughing “What happened to him” so some were using slang languages for him “He is totally barmy, what happened to him, bender”

But when he received mike, he received it kindly with bent back from peon and after receiving he thanked him. For receiving mike he moved few steps forward near the speaker, then he came bak at his actual place or position.

After receiving and coming on place he speak on mike “No, I was  not strict” but no one could hear, in fact students, standing in numerous queues puzzled.

When he noticed such faces and Miss Ann “Beta, no one could hear you” he looked up with little confusing expression, “No I was not strict”, he repeated but quite loudly.

“Okay, but you were”, she was being sarcastic but smiling, insulting him indirectly very much.

She walked towards ex. H.F.P, Sana Imtiaz. She was standing with bowed head straight and respectfully. “Sana!”, she exclaimed, creating suspense.  She was coming near to her. She was coming to stand in front of her. “One of the most studious students in pre-medical section”, she created more suspense, stood in front of her. Her way of creating suspense and tone afraid “May be she insult me”, she thought. She looked up seriously and nervously. She found Miss Ann was looking her too.

“Kuch to garbar hai” (Something is wrong), Many of students were commenting and suggesting.

“According to me”, heart of Sana jumped to mouth when she said this “You performed your duty quite well”, she smiled heartily. Sana’s heart came back on its place. She breathed calmly, placed her hand on her heart.

Her words brought smile on every face but irritated too. She looked her and wished her best of luck. She walked futher towards ex. H.A.P, Sidra Kamal, “Sidra Kamal!”, she exclaimed with joy coming near to her to stand in front of her. She was smiling. “You had done well”, her words made her to look up. She said casually. Sidra smiled heartily. “But we expected a lot from you” she further added. These words lessened her smile. Her words made everyone to look up.

“Otherwise it is gone”, she said while turning towards the students standing on the ground. She was smiling in a way to make others excited. She walked backward. “So take off your gowns within seconds but respectfully ”, she excited other. She spoke in such a way which make others excite and eager.

Three prefects took off their prefects uniformly, made everyone to watch them with opened eyes. They putted their gown on a table placed in their centre.

They went backward to stand against the wall. Miss Ann came in the centre. She ignited everyone with her smile and expressions. “Taking Off Ceremony gone, Predaflections (prefect elections) arrive” she eager everyone especially those who wanted to be the prefect.

(Elections for prefects in Daffty Institution of Learning is called PREDAFLACTIONS by students and staff. Students had given name to their elections. Predaflaction occurred once in a year after two months of new session)

                    ---



© 2016 Irenic


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on August 16, 2016
Last Updated on August 16, 2016

Fard


Author

Irenic
Irenic

Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan



About
World is a painting and I am one of wanderer in it who is known by the name of IRENIC in its tiny piece's another world called INTERNET. more..

Writing
Plain Plain

A Poem by Irenic


Collection Collection

A Poem by Irenic


Compilation Compilation

A Poem by Irenic