Silence and Dark- A Tale Of Twinge

Silence and Dark- A Tale Of Twinge

A Story by Irfan Bashir Shah

Silence and Dark- A Tale of Twinge

 

 

A cold buffeting wind echoed around the empty streets as the January leaves bid their stems bye. The mercury had dipped below minus and there were no signs of life anywhere. Little drops of rain kissed the ground and the muddy water reflected a blurred aura of a frightened little girl.

The diminishing light couldn't hide her white pale face and her dark black eyes, which streamed down tears that passaged through her dense black lashes and disappeared with the fading sunlight.

Her hair locks were like dark shadows of the night and her hair the night itself. At the very first glimpse one could guess that the girl was barely 7 years of age yet the forlorn look in her eyes revealed a tale of ceaseless misery. She was dressed in a pink skirt and a top which read: “1+1= 11 ;)”.

Her laced white sandals splashed the water every time she put forward a step. She held a handkerchief in her hands with which she frequently dabbed her teary somber eyes.

The air she exhaled rose to the skies and formed different shapes of fear, pain, anguish and a raging pandemonium. Her name was Kaifa!

 

Kaifa entered her home through the kitchen backdoor and clumsily walked to her mother,

“Mom”, Kaifa stuttered, “I need….. to talk to you”.

Her mother noticed her melancholy voice and her eyes flashed over to meet hers. She replied, “You go upstairs we will talk soon dear, I promise.” 

She puffed a moment and without muttering anything, she lifelessly walked upstairs straight to her room.

Minutes passed as did hours but fate had something else up its sleeve. Kaifa’s mother was held busy by some guests whom she had invited for dinner.

At the dinner table Kaifa sat motionless as if the tyranny of the world had rooted in her sorrows so deep so as to last forever. She took a gulp of water which for her tasted like hemlock. After a while she stood up and staggered back to her room but her mother, Mrs. Nisa was too busy to notice what was going on.

Outside, the nocturnal trysts of silence and dark had begun.

 

 

For the world time raced by, but for Kaifa every second measured like an eon.

Months passed by to give way to years, they too passed. They say that time is the best healer but for Kaifa every morning brought with it, waves of pain that rubbed brine against her never healing wounds.

Time made no sense and soon the world learned nothing of Kaifa.

She waited and waited; with the time faded, faded into the vastness of eternity.

 

It was a very dull morning as the bleak sunlight filtered through the windows of a house whose glee had been sucked out a decade ago. Outside, the land quenched its thirst from the golden rays of sun and the tall Chinar trees voiced to life as the insects inside made a buzzing sound. The mountains as usual stood tall with snow crowned over their heads. The leaves resting on the ground were swiped by a swift gentle breeze.

Nothing about the morning seemed to be enthralling.

Back in the house a little calm voice said, “Mumz we’ve a play at our school, didi’s friends have organized it. They said they would be pleased if you would show up for a while, plus I too want you…..umm... to be there!”

“Yes sure, love!”, Mrs. Nisa promised.

There are some secrets which the time blurs, the soil engulfs, the sun burns and the night hides, but one day they rise from the ashes and unveil a truth which changes our lives and what we live for, and this was the day, past had chosen to ruffle its feathers.

 

As curtains slinked to the walls the crowd roared to life.

A girl appeared on the stage and the play began. She was wearing a pink skirt and had a very cheerful look on her innocent face. She was heading to her friend’s house and held a notebook with both her hands. When she reached there, the door was opened by her friend’s father. “Good morning Mr. Ashai!” the girl’s voice greeted.

“It’s evening, my dear”, a raspy voice replied.

The girl flushed tomato red but somehow mustered back her courage and mouthed, “I wish to see Faika, sir!”

The man summoned the little girl in and in brooding voice mumbled, “She is out with her mother, but she will be back soon. Till then you sit on the sofa, maybe we can play a game.”

“What game?”, the girl enquired naively.

The man didn’t reply. He glared at her with his scorching eyes and then grabbed the little girl by the scruff of her neck and the poor little creature writhed with pain.

The standby curtains drew out; screams of an innocent soul were heard behind them. The brutal animal to satisfy his lust had consigned the little girl’s life into flames.

The curtain backed away and this time the girl was shown fumbling back to her home where she met her mother. In a painful voice, her lips recited, “Mom, I need to talk to you.”

 

As these words echoed around the auditorium, Mrs. Nisa felt a stupor. Her head spun in answerless circles. Bleakness started to mount over her and time ceased to exist.

Fate had exhibited some old dark cards. A bead of sweat formed just below her hairline. Things had started to become lucid.

 

In the play,

The girl was now shown as a grown up but nothing had changed for her. She still seemed to be lifeless and the look on her face endorsed the very fact.

She was walking in the middle of a road where vehicles rushed by. Sunlight pierced into her dense black eyes and revealed a tale of twinge. The girl then did what was least expected of her after she had breathed so many excruciating years of her forlorn life, she jumped in front of a speeding truck and ended her miserable life.

 

Silence deepened- and changed. Everybody in the auditorium applauded and clapped but Mrs. Nisa sat there lifeless and stunned.

Her red face turned chalky as she regurgitated the old pain. She found herself trapped in an abrupt bedlam as if she were falling deep in an abyss. Guilt kicks torched her into a trance as she let her world crumble down.

All these years she had learned that her daughter died in a road accident but today the sword of time had stricken its final blow and the reality had crashed upon her.

If only she had known what she knew today, her loving daughter would have been alive.

If only she had talked to her. If only she had noticed the grave look she always wore on face. If and only if…

Mrs. Nisa Gulped down her sorrows and a sudden surge of remorse took over her as she got visions of Kaifa smiling upon her. She tried hard to scream but her voice would betray her. The aura of Kaifa faded before her eyes and she felt like dying but then it dawned upon her that she had another daughter whom she couldn't afford to lose. She had to take care of her. She had to live for her. She had to mother her.

She stood up, her feet trembling and took a deep breath. She looked at her younger daughter whose black eyes reminded her of Kaifa; she caught hold of her hand and embraced her. Separating her stitched dry lips, she murmured in a trance, “Let’s go…. Kaifa!”

 

                                 And one more book of pity fate itself wrote

                                 A story told but untold

                                 Heard but unheard……

 

© 2014 Irfan Bashir Shah


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Starts out promising, exceptional descriptions.You have clearly cut out all unnecessary words and created a well edited piece. It might benefit from the odd comma or two.
Barley?....(Barely)...an almost mystical write in its purple prose.
You have mastered dialogue extremely well! You have animated the whole piece with imaginative body language.
Outside, the nocturnal trysts of silence and dark had begun...(Superb!)
You have managed to capture pearls of wisdom, expressing them unintrusively, and very cleverley.
I loved the way you blended the house into the days weather so deftly!
It is also written beautifully and padded with amazing snippets of nature's wonders.
You managed to change scenes very easily, almost without the reader noticing!
You have described bravely and sensitively, the more distasteful scenes.
You half-surprise the reader with the tragedy of it all, when one might have hoped of a better outcome, you hit us with the grim reality of it all, as a writer should.
It was brilliant the way you described the mother's denial breaking.
A professional write. A privilege to review. Should be in the shops already! Thankyou.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The narration of this story is beautiful, it is a harmonious balance between the vivid, yet elusive, imagery a great poet can weave and the implementations of character that a story often possesses. Your story poses a question I have often pondered on: 'could there, perhaps, be experiences so traumatizing and so defiling that living with one's self is painful?'-->"They say that time is the best healer but for Kaifa every morning brought with it, waves of pain that rubbed brine against her never healing wounds."

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Writer #00

11 Years Ago

(For some reason, Writer's Cafe only posted part of my review, so... continuation): The above quotat.. read more
I really enjoyed this. And as others have said, your poetic prose is beautiful to read. For me, some of the writing I enjoyed mist came in the paragraph that begins, "for the world time raced by..." Loved that entire passage--Just wonderful. Thank you!

Posted 11 Years Ago


AnastasiaBetts

11 Years Ago

*most. (Not mist)
Very poetic, you are great at setting a specific mood for your characters.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Carlos Castaneda, the UCLA anthropologist, wrote the book ' A Separate Reality ' sometime back that taught the Yaqui Indian ways of understanding and looking at the world. This was in respect of a warrior. Yours brings the story home to family and stage in a revelation of the same truths between cooking and ironing the clothes. Well done Irfan.

Posted 11 Years Ago


From the beginning to the end, this story exudes poetry. You have a wonderful way of translating your imagery to the page, especially in the following passage:

"There are some secrets which the time blurs, the soil engulfs, the sun burns and the night hides."

Other than some mechanical errors (which I'm more than guilty than others of violating) your story was very well written. I look forward to more of your work.


Posted 11 Years Ago


oh wow, this was amazing. :) i enjoyed reading it. thanks for sharing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


It brought tears Irfan. I will not say anything further.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love the eerie, that's how I write

Posted 11 Years Ago


Great flow, unique style. This should be published

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2082 Views
57 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 9 Libraries
Added on December 8, 2011
Last Updated on February 14, 2014


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


DAMNED DAMNED

A Poem by Muse