Jury Duty

Jury Duty

A Story by sue

I got my notice to appear for jury duty one day. Now I have trouble with the idea of judging people even in the privacy of my own mind and find the idea of judging someone so they can be punished is beyond anything I wanted to involve myself with. But nevertheless I found myself in a court room listening to some person up front telling us the responsibilities of being a good juror. But when he came to the part which asked if anyone here had any reason to feel he or she would not make a good juror, I raised my hand. Well the person up front was not happy with me and asked me to join him for a little talk. I told him it was against my religion to do this juror number. So he made me follow him to the middle of the courtroom where the judge was talking to the defense attorney and the prosecuting attorney. My new friend reluctantly interrupted the judge and started to whisper to him while pointing at me. Finally the judge came over to me and asked me what the problem was. I told him I didn't think I could handle the karma of this situation. He said, what do you mean karma? So I started to spell the word out for him but half way through the spelling his face started to turn red and I could tell he figured out what I was talking about because he was having a difficult time controlling his temper. He pointed at the chair I came from and told me I'd better get back there. He didn't seem to want to hear anything else I had to say so I went back to my chair in the jury box. Then before the trial the prosecuting attorney was asked if he thought there was anyone on the jury who was unfit. Well he looked at me and then he looked at the judge and said be thought everyone was fine. I just shook my head and mumbled, Oh brother. But finally the defense attorney was asked the same question and he didn't look at anybody, he just pointed to me and said. your out of here. I got up and mumbled under my breath that I would like it if God didn't always wait till the very last second to make his move. I did not look at Mr Judge on my way out.
 

© 2009 sue


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really funny! An interesting write too. It kept my attention.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Well this was interesting.......wow. You seem to have some talent for making the mundane interesting! I'm serious. I liked reading this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


An interesting and colourful read,can't say i have any experience of these matters in middle age i find the idea of having to do jury service a horror amongst horrors, i think i would have gone to my doctor and said something like "i am not mentally cut out for this can you write me a note to explain to the court that i am unfit ".But then again sometimes we are not blessed with options in life we just have to make the best of it.
I like the photo with this poem but wondered what it had got to do with the story unless you just wanted to promote some dizzy mare who wasn't sure what day it was.

Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

God this is so nice dear ,how i loved reading this,you surely know how to make a story..
how you take a simple matter that the she jury did so believe in ,which is as she thinks she could never judge anyone
even in herself ,in her own mind so how will she judge someone in court in front of everyone,an action that may cause his demise
and may cause him injury..
i loved how those responsible for justice never for a second did understand her wonderful feelings about it ,and her justified point
in not standing as a judge against anyone.no one really understood her,and in the end she was told to leave and that was her utmost pleasure
how wonderful this was how so poetic you are my friend ,what a dreamer ,what thoughts ,what imagination,you will never know how i enjoyed this
lovely write..

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 19, 2009

Author

sue
sue

oil city, PA



About
I live and work on my parents' dairy farm. I'm into metaphysics and spirituality and sometimes think of myself as a cosmic dairymaid more..

Writing
Continuing Saga #2 Continuing Saga #2

A Story by sue



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..