Prologue: The Flashback

Prologue: The Flashback

A Story by Kayla
"

Everything seemed normal for Jenna Carsh, until after a tragic incident happened, weird things began to happen.

"

     It was the summer right before senior year, I was at a party, but I wasn’t exactly enjoying the party. I sat on a low tree branch, swaying my legs back and forth, avoiding everyone. Loud Kesha music blared as my classmates drank more than their body could handle, I guess you could say I wasn’t the party type. My best friend Ashley dragged me to this stupid party, she was too afraid to come by herself because her parents are wicked strict. I took out my cell phone, 9:30 PM, it was only just a little after 9?

“Why are you out here all by yourself?” said a voice behind me. I glanced over my shoulder; it was David, and a boy I’d been crushing on for a few years. But he was also my best friend.

“Just not in a party mood,” I replied. I kept looking straight ahead, butterflies in my stomach.

“Why not?” he asked. He now stood in front of me; I could see him now, his short black hair and his smile.

I shrugged, “Why does it matter?”

“Calm down, you’re too tense,” he said. I rolled my eyes, not replying, but then he did something that surprised me. He hopped up on the branch beside me, but I didn’t make any eye contact with him. If I did, who knows what stupid stuff would slip from my mouth?

“Have you applied to any colleges yet?”

I shook my head, “No not yet. Have you?”

He laughed, “Yeah right.”

“Okay then.”

“I want to give you something,” he said.

I looked at him as he pulled out something in his hoodie pocket, but I couldn’t tell what it was in the dark. “What is it?” I asked.

“Just look the other way,” he said. I sighed, but I did, I just saw trees from the woods.

His hands lifted my hair and he pushed it off to the side and wrapped something around my neck, I felt the chain on my skin and then touched the pendent that rested on my chest.

I shifted my body towards him, confused; he never made gestures like this, at least not to me. “What’s this for?”

“To know we’ll always be best friends, I know it’s cliché, but even when we’re in our separate ways for college I want you to know I’m always here for you.”

I felt my face all hot, thankful for the darkness so he couldn’t see me blush. “Thank you, this means a lot to me.”

He chuckled, “Jenna, I,” he began to say. “YO DAVID, UP FOR A ROUND OF BEER PONG?” shouted Jimmy just a few feet away, causing us both to jump.

“YEAH, COMIN!” David yelled.

He hopped off the tree branch, not saying another word, but now I was curious to what he was going to say.

CNN BREAKING NEWS scrolled across the bottom of the television screen early the morning after the party. Ashley was hung over and I was making coffee for the both of us. I wasn’t paying attention to the news, but my dad was.
            “Oh my god,” said my dad. I put the toast in the toaster and looked at the screen. That’s when everything stopped, my mind, my world. It was like a reoccurring nightmare, I wanted to scream, to cry, but nothing came out of my mouth.

“A boy, David Greene, found dead last night in Hartville from a car driving into the lake. The other boy with him in the car, Jimmy Fields was under the influence of alcohol, still alive, and checked into the Hospital at one in the morning last night,” said the reporter.

My mind couldn’t wrap around this, David, dead. That’s when it hit me, I began to scream in anger, my dad rushing over to me and holding me. Then I began to cry and that’s how I spent most of my days until some really weird things began to happen…

© 2013 Kayla


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
Added on January 9, 2013
Last Updated on January 9, 2013
Tags: story, ghosts, haunted

Author

Kayla
Kayla

Hogwarts, OH



About
I'm really bad at writing these, funny thing for a writer to say, right? I guess the basics are all you really need to know. I'm Kayla, a college student and a writer. I think everyday a person should.. more..

Writing
Innocent Innocent

A Story by Kayla