Beneath the Mask

Beneath the Mask

A Poem by A poet's heart

You thought you were hard, you thought you were strong,

How could you not have known it all along?

That everyone’s weak, everyone cries,

Underneath your facade, emotions will lie.

 

I see why it hurts you to know that you care;

It’s the reliance on others that you fear.

You want independence, you want to be free,

But how long will it take you just to see?

You can’t always be hard, you can’t always be strong;

To not feel a thing would only be wrong.

 

So wipe away those tears, pick yourself up,

Friends are friends no matter what.

Turn to them, like they turn to you,

For with them you know you’ll always get through.

 

And you may have been weak, you may have cried,

But now’s not the time to think about pride;

Because nobody’s hard, nobody’s strong;

You should have known that all along.

© 2011 A poet's heart


Author's Note

A poet's heart
Ideas for a title?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have read 3 of your poems so far and I am going to read the rest and then go back and write a review on each. I think you write about things that many can relate to and this one stood out to me and really made me think. For you to write in a way that someone may really think about and possibly make a change in there life for the better is a gift. As far as a title. I would call it " All Along "

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I have read 3 of your poems so far and I am going to read the rest and then go back and write a review on each. I think you write about things that many can relate to and this one stood out to me and really made me think. For you to write in a way that someone may really think about and possibly make a change in there life for the better is a gift. As far as a title. I would call it " All Along "

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very lovely poem. So many times I myself and my friends have tried to be emotionless, "strong'. But it's the strong man that has feelings and knows when to show them. it's the callus and misguided man who shows no emotion. Emotions are necessary, otherwise, we wouldn't have them. A really great write. Good job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


firstly wanna say i like the message an awful lot,too many people hide behind masks to avoid facing the truth and getting help to move on.secondly well done for the flow and meter on this write, reads beautifully.As for a title,may I suggest ..' Dropping The Mask' ,great write : )

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

441 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 22, 2011
Last Updated on September 21, 2011
Tags: hard, strong, weak, pick yourself up

Author

A poet's heart
A poet's heart

United Kingdom



About
Hey! I'm a university student in the UK and write poetry as a way to clear my head and figure out what I'm thinking. I think that most of my poem titles could do with a great deal of improvement! S.. more..

Writing