Lifeline (True story)

Lifeline (True story)

A Story by Anita B Jacques
"

My son Troy didn't have much time to think, he'd already slipped into the Stillwater section of a swollen river twice, he was soaked and exhausted.

"

 

        My son Troy didn't have much time to think, he'd already slipped into the Stillwater section of a swollen river twice, he was soaked and exhausted. The day had started at about 8 a.m. Troy was competing in the one fly event, a local fishing  tournament.



        The river was high and movement fast because of the large amount of rain in recent days. It was very cold, despite the conditions I was having a good day fishing and already caught four nice Rainbow Trout.
        Wearing chest -high wader's and boots with carbide cleats,  I was standing on a familiar piece of rock ledge that stretches out underwater near the bridge. 
        Usually, at that spot I can see the bottom but on that day the water was high,  I was going by memory, since I had fished at the same spot for over 20 years. I misjudged my position because of the high water,  I slipped of the ledge.
        When I fell in, it actually took my breath away I hadn't realized how cold the water was. I made it back to shore OK, a little wet and a lot colder, but still up for more fishing. I considered calling it a day but decided to stick it out a little longer.

        Around 11:00 a.m I returned to my fishing spot, eventually walking a little further out, I shouldn't have done it, but I did.  I fell in again, much closer to the center of the river this time,  my feet could not touch bottom..... I struggled to get back to shore, I  saw the land getting further away, when I turned  to start swimming I was actually getting pulled away from shore by the current, it terrified me, I had  so much fear in me I was close to saying, I'm going to drown.
        There were some air pockets in the waders that helped keep me above water. I choosed not to unstrap them because I feared they would tangle my legs, and prevent me from being able  to kick toward shore. I spent a lot of money for that fly rod and didn't want to let go of it, I was at the point to let go. Luckily I didn't.
        In a last ditch effort,  I just rolled over onto my back and kicked with my feet , it worked....and I started to make progress toward shore until my feet touched bottom. Once on shore I was wet and sore, I had used all my strength to get out.....away from the current. I was standing under the Stillwater Bridge trying to regain my breath when I heard a girl yell...

        Earlier, I had noticed a few young people in a popular swimming area north of the bridge. They had large tubes, which had no holes in the center. I thought it odd that they were in the water on such cold day, but it seemed like they were staying on top of the tubes, and not getting wet.
       
At first, I didn't pay much attention to the yelling, assuming that the teens were just playing. It really never dawned on me that there was a problem. But then I noticed the boy..... He was in the water.....fully clothed......holding onto the handle of the tube, being swept down river.
         They weren't intending on going in the water. They were going on tubes like someone would go down on a boat. The boy was holding onto the tube, trying to pull himself back on, I saw that
he was getting tired. I yelled ,  "are you OK?" and the girl yelled over, "he's deaf".

        At this point, I was wiped out. I couldn't go back in,  I'm not afraid of water, but that water scared the hell out of me. I worried that once the boy got by me he would reach faster moving currents down river. What scared me was that he was losing his grip on the tube, the current was so strong that there was no way he could swim to shore.

        The only thing I could think of was my fly rod.  I had a floating orange fly line on the rod, I've cast that thing so many times that I could land it in a paper cup at a distance, so it was pretty easy to get it to him. I just casted my fly line further than him and laid the line down on the water. The boy saw it, he held onto the tube with one hand, and onto the line with the other, I ended up reeling him in with my fly rod.

        The boy was about 16 or 17 years old. Once I pulled him ashore, I tried to speak with him but I don't know sign language and the boy couldn't understand. I helped carry the tube up toward upper road. The people the boy was with, including the girl who yelled from the opposite shore, had parked a car in a parking area on Stillwater Road on the other side of the bridge.

        I never got the boy's name, I know it was stupid of me to have waded back into the water a second time, yet if I hadn't, I would have left and not been there to pull the boy from the water, at the right time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    

© 2009 Anita B Jacques


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

wow..!!this is really wonderful......
great work..!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

What a wonderfully written story� the truth is always a breath of fresh air

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

It's simple to see what Troy did here. He put it in God's hands. A leap of faith if I ever saw one.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I love true stories, because most of them are so unbelieveable, such as this one. It was very very brave of your son to go back into the water and help that boy. I would've been terrified after almost drowning myself. This is truly incredible!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is indeed a remarkable story, thanks for telling me about it. I have been involved in a few situations like this myself. Was working for the YMCA in my home state of Utah teaching kids to ride horses. A group of kids went on a camping trip. They were told before they went not to chop trees down, but to leave that kind of stuff to there guide. A young boy didn' listen, he chopped down a tree, it fell on his leg and broke it. Myself and a freind went in on horse back to get him out, but he couldn't be put on a horse. We had to pack him out by hand. It took us 5 days. So this brought back some memories, thanks for sharing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow! This is indeed a gripping story of how God will use ALL things for good when we let Him. If Troy had not fallen in the second time, he may not have realized just how strong the current was and may have thought the boy would be able to get himself to shore without help. Jesus said, "I will make you fishers of men" and until now, I never thought of taking it literally. lol

Thanks for sharing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh My!
This is indeed a "true life miracle"! It is amazing how God uses us when we allow Him to! Praise to Him that your son was in the right spot, at just the right moment! God does indeed work in mysterious ways.
It certainly was not this boy's time to die!
Thanks for sharing this accounting of a life changing event!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

God sometimes sends us in directions we can't understand. He sent one, keeping him safe, in order to save another. If we follow our heart we are usually where we are meant to be. I'm glad your son was ok and in the right place at the right time.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The story is amazing n just goes what faith can do. things do happen for a reason n this just goes to show what quick thinking can do many kudos I give to him for his quick thinking n saving the boys life n being his lifeline.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1423 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 23, 2009
Last Updated on April 29, 2009

Author

Anita B Jacques
Anita B Jacques

Greenfield, MA



About
I'm just a novice in poetry. English is my second language, I was born and educated in France. My paintings are on the back burner for the moment. I love this site and enjoy writing (If I can call it .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


He is My Son He is My Son

A Story by Rain