The Frog

The Frog

A Story by Jack...
"

Ever have one of those pesky flies that just won't leave you alone...beware!

"

The Frog

 

The frog sits on a lily pad in the middle of the swamp sunning himself when along happens a fly. He is hungry so he waits until the fly gets a little bit closer. He assumes the position of striking and just before his tongue leaves his mouth the fly says, “Please don’t eat me, Mr. Frog.”

 

“And why shouldn’t I?”

 

“You are fat and plump and I am a little fly. There is no way I could satisfy your appetite.”

 

“But I am hungry and you are only one of many flies I will eat today.”

 

“I am sure that is true, but please I beg you, do not eat me.”

 

“This is ridiculous,” croaks the frog.

 

“Look, let’s make a deal. We both know that I am too close now to ever get away from your quick tongue, no matter how fast I can fly, so please, just hear me out and if you still choose to eat me, then you can,” pleads the fly.

 

“Oh very well, speak fly.”

 

“Well you see, frogs have already eaten my Father and my two brothers. My older sister ran away with a wasp; can you believe it, a wasp? My Mother has a broken wing and four young flies to take care of. I am the only one who is able to provide for my family and if you eat me, what are they to do?”

 

“I don’t care about your family,” answers the frog.

 

“I am sure you don’t, but just put yourself in my place, would you want to be eaten if you were the only one who could provide for your family?”

 

“It matters not, I have heard enough.”

 

The frog prepares to strike as the fly winces in fear. Without warning, despite the quickness of the frog's tongue, a huge set of alligator jaws rises out of the water from behind the frog, and chomps down, swallowing the frog whole.

 

The fly says, “How’d I do?”

 

The alligator replies, “Perfect, just perfect.”

 

© 2013 Jack...


Author's Note

Jack...
This is a very short Flash Fiction story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh, I liked that one, Jack!!!! The moral of the story--chew your food first and then ask questions.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much Pryde. I thought you might like this one.
Ha, this is great Jack, for some reason I feel like that fly today, where do I find a nasty old alligator?!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

he's right here my friend.
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

:-D My HERO....
I am cracking up the others were different then this write all are good but dang I wasn't expecting that and my sister flew off with a wasp...trashy girl hope she can sting hahah
thank you so much for taking the time to show me really and truly your friend Holly

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

I just wanted you to see the different sides. they don't have to be scary, they can be funny or tend.. read more
Jack...

11 Years Ago

OK, I sent one more. Last one today. This one is humorous as well.
Jack,

You did it. I swallowed this story: hook, line and sinker.

I love your similitude to human behavior: "My sister ran away with a wasp; can you believe it, a wasp? Etcetera. It gives the story latitude.

How'd you do? Perfect, just perfect. I love it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I am happy it made you smile.
Jack, that was so funny! I read it to everyone out loud here. Excellent!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Wow, thanks. I am glad you enjoyed my little story
Ha! Good stuff.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Thanks, it was fun to write. I out myself in the role of the fly as I wrote it (go figure)
I like the fly's persuasive tactics (even though the frog is steadfast).

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Thank you
Your mind is a wonderful playground. It is kind of you to let us play there with you. I could feel the selfish hunger of the frog, the peril of the fly and the wiles of the alligator. The trap was set and the unsuspecting reader becomes the meal.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Hey there buddy, thanks so much for the kind words.
THis is very good. I had to laugh at the end. I like to write flash fiction myelf and I wish I could have written a piece this good. And I don't say that lightly.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Thanks Marie, if you laughed then I obtained my objective
Loved it, would love to read a longer work of fiction of yours you have a great story telling style.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Thank you Carolann, I am happy you liked it.
Carolann Dowsett

11 Years Ago

Welcome :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

488 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 8, 2013
Last Updated on January 8, 2013
Tags: Humor, Fly, Frog

Author

Jack...
Jack...

San Antonio, TX



About
Not much to tell about me, I am just Jack, I am a poet, a writer, a musician, a painter, a builder and a dreamer. I live in south Texas but am originally from New Jersey and miss it more and more all .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Old House Old House

A Story by Jessi