Bookends

Bookends

A Story by Jack...
"

A story about love, loss, hope, challenges and positive thinking

"

Bookends

by

Jack Ivey

 

 

 

            This is a story about two bookends. One named Paula and the other named Pete.  They were beautiful gold bookends, very ornate in their design and considered one of the prize possessions of the household. These two bookends were made for each other. Their job was to support each other in keeping several books erect and straight on an antique Early American bookshelf. For many years they worked together to hold their books upright and oh what books they were. There were blue books and red books, tall books and short books, old masters like Moby Dick and some from newer authors like the Harry Potter series. There was a book on gardening and one on being positive and staying focused. They were proud of their books and looked forward to showing them off each day.

 

            Years and years had passed when Paula noticed Pete was slipping.

           

            “Pete,” she said. “You’ve got to hold up your end of the books, they are beginning to lean.”

           

            “I am sorry, I will try harder.” answered Pete as he pushed his hardest and stood his books up again.

 

Each day it seemed that Pete slipped a little bit more and Paula had to constantly remind him to hold up his end of the books. She also noticed that he was beginning to tarnish ever so slightly. He didn’t seem to shine like he once did.

           

Once again she mentioned to him about the books slipping on his end and this time he answered her, “I am too tired to hold these books up, besides the owner of the house won’t mind.”

           

            “Oh yes she will. You have got to try harder; I don’t want to lose you.” she replied.   But Pete just didn’t have the strength to do his job properly. Every time the owner of the house would walk into the room and see the books falling on Pete’s end, she would become upset and push him back until the books were straight. This went on for quite some time, every time Paula would ask Pete to hold up his end of the books and he couldn’t, the owner would come in and push him back. Till one day when the owner walked into the room, saw the books leaning over and said, “I’ve had it with this bookend!” Upon saying this she grabbed Pete off of the shelf.

 

            “Paula, help me!” he pleaded. “I tried my best.”

           

            “I know you did,” she replied but there was nothing she could do.

           

            “I’ll be back, you just watch. I will get my strength back and be right by your side again real soon,” he cried as the owner, with Pete in tow left the room.

           

Paula felt sad and helpless and to make matters worse the owner of the house had leaned all of the books slightly towards her side. She wasn’t sure she could handle the strain of the many books by herself. Without Pete they were very heavy.  This went on for a long time. For several weeks she struggled under the weight of all that had been laid upon her until she finally felt herself giving in to all of the pressure.

           

“I can’t take this anymore,” she said. “I wish Pete were here to help me.” But she kept remembering what Pete had cried to her as he left the room that day and used all of the strength she had to keep going.  Then one evening, the owner of the house walked into the room carrying a huge book.  This had to be the biggest book Paula had ever seen, it must have been six inches thick.

           

“Oh no,” cried Paula. “I’ll never be able to handle all of this pressure and weight by myself. What am I going to do?”

 

The owner of the house walked up to the shelf and placed the book at the end of the row of books that Paula was supporting.

           

Well, here it comes, she thought to herself. But much to her surprise, the gigantic book stood erect on its own. Not only that, but the owner of the house stood the rest of the books upright, relieving Paula of the burden she had endured all of this time. The weight of the books was off of her now and she was happy, sort of. She still missed Pete but the help and support of the new book made it much easier for her to deal with her day-to-day duties.

            Many months had passed and Paula happily did her job. This new book was a godsend and she was happy to have it aboard. Just then the owner of the house walked into the room again, this time carrying something else. Paula looked to see what it was and much to her surprise and joy, it was Pete.  He was shinier than she had ever seen him. The owner placed him at the end of the books right next to the new one. “There, it should be easier now for you to hold up your end,” she said to Pete. 

           

            "Pete, Pete, I am so happy you are back,” rejoiced Paula

           

            “I told you I would be back. The owner of the house polished me up and made me better than brand new.” he replied. 

           

Paula was ecstatic as once again they were a team and worked together to proudly display the wonderful collection of books. Then she realized that through all of this she had never once looked to see what the title of the new book that had helped her through the tough times was. She leaned up slightly so that she could read it. The title was, “Friends, Faith and Love.”  “How appropriate,” she said to herself. “I couldn’t have made it without you.”

 

They lived happily ever after…

© 2013 Jack...


Author's Note

Jack...
A story written for a friend who felt the walls caving in on her

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Encouraging message, and fun to read. well done my friend.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much my friend. I actually wrote this for a friend who was in a bad way.
Lovely write and great sentiments.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much.
This is so sweet and so easy to read, I enjoyed every minute of it and I love the message behind it. Well done on another great write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Carolann Dowsett

11 Years Ago

Oh you are more than welcome, your work is a joy to read. I should of got to it all earlier but I've.. read more
Jack...

11 Years Ago

I understand busy, which I have been this week. I see 4 new chapters waiting for me and i will read .. read more
Carolann Dowsett

11 Years Ago

Oh cool I hope you enjoy them :)
What a precious story, creatively unique, just wonderful, I'd add some drawings to this and make a fortune as a children's short story. refreshing and fun to read, well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I am happy you enjoyed it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 18, 2013
Last Updated on January 18, 2013
Tags: Love, Loss, Hope, Challenges, Positive thinking

Author

Jack...
Jack...

San Antonio, TX



About
Not much to tell about me, I am just Jack, I am a poet, a writer, a musician, a painter, a builder and a dreamer. I live in south Texas but am originally from New Jersey and miss it more and more all .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic