Where the ocean meets the sky

Where the ocean meets the sky

A Story by Jack...
"

A flash Fiction about the sunset

"

 

Where the ocean meets the sky

by jack

 

Six year old Joey and his Grandfather walked hand in hand along the beach. Joey loved the salty smell of the ocean and the sound of the waves slapping against the soft shore. The feel of the sand between his toes tickled his feet as they found the perfect place to sit. His Grandfather promised him they could come here this afternoon during sunset, where the ocean meets the sky, is what his Grandfather would call it. They peered out over the immense ocean to the horizon when Joey asked. "Is it far away, Grandpa?"

 

"Oh yes, it is very far away, but still close enough for us to enjoy," explained his Grandfather.

 

"Like a million miles?" the boy asked excitedly.

 

"Well, not a million miles but very far away." answered the old man with a chuckle as the sun was just now reaching the horizon. "Well, here we go; this is where the ocean meets the sky."

 

"You're funny Grandpa, why do you call it that?"

 

"I don't know, it is just something I used to say to your Grandmother when we would come out here and watch the sunset. She loved the colors on the sky at this time of day."

 

"I miss Grandma," the boy said sadly.

 

"I miss her too, but now we'll just enjoy her favorite colors," he replied.

 

"Red, Grandpa?" questioned the young boy.

 

"Indeed it is, very red Joey," he answered. 

 

"And pink and orange?" he asked with the enthusiasm you would expect from an inquisitive child.

 

"Very pink and very orange," he calmly answered again. A group of seagulls squawked by searching the coastline for food.

 

"They're seagulls, aren't they Grandpa; we learned about seagulls in school?"

 

"You are right again," he said.

 

Some neighbors, Gladys Haver and Margie Willingham strolled by and waved to the two. "Hello Frank, good evening Joey," they said as they passed.

"Good evening, ladies" offered Frank as Joey added, "Hi."

"That is so sad. It makes me want to cry every time I think about it," Margie said to her friend.

 

"I know, I can't imagine any child having to go through life blind," replied Gladys.

 

 

© 2013 Jack...


Author's Note

Jack...
Thank you for reading my flash fiction

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful, piece of flash fiction... here merged with a author who can highly see things, into the beauty of little things....plus, it's like you watch into your own future ;) greatly detailed, and a good imagery here. It is nice to see you write also these pieces my friend, :) so multi-talented you are! And if you can take me into a place, you're good! ;)

- Elisa



Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Elisa, just take care of yourself...this poetry is will be here.

11 Years Ago

I know ;) but I enjoy reading my favorite poets, when I have the time for it :D
Jack...

11 Years Ago

As I always look forward to reading your work.
Your flash fiction is always great. THis one is no exception. I don't think the ending is sad. Gladys and Margie don't percieve the happiness.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Thanks Marie.
Wow. A story teller too and who knows what other talents you posses Mr. Ivy. This was a very good story and sad at the end. I really enjoyed the read. That is what I like , short ones with a good or sad ending and sometimes a moral lesson in it will be great...Pen on and let's reach the stars...:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Jack...

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much Sami. Flash Fiction is one of my passions, I just don't post too many on this site.. read more
Sami Khalil

11 Years Ago

Any time. Good to know. Have a great one...:)
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
3 Reviews
Added on April 4, 2013
Last Updated on April 4, 2013
Tags: sunset

Author

Jack...
Jack...

San Antonio, TX



About
Not much to tell about me, I am just Jack, I am a poet, a writer, a musician, a painter, a builder and a dreamer. I live in south Texas but am originally from New Jersey and miss it more and more all .. more..

Writing