The Golden Cocoon of Fritillary

The Golden Cocoon of Fritillary

A Story by Jane E. Ries
"

The town of Fritillary encounters an evil dragonfly.

"

All the bugs in the kingdom of Fritillary gathered together outside the castle of the Queen and King of butterflies, as there is to be an important announcement.

 

“Here ye, here ye!” yelled the town crier. “Gather everyone once and for all!”

 

The crowd hushed. The Queen and King appeared fluttering their wings nervously. “Friends,” said the Queen. “I have very sad news. Last night someone stole their way into the royal baby crib and kidnapped my precious cocoon. There is a reward of gold coins for anyone who can help bring us back the golden cocoon of Fritillary!”

 

Suddenly, a giant dragonfly came out of the sky, it’s shadow blocked-out the sun as it zipped around. Everyone began to run in all directions seeking shelter. “I have the golden cocoon!” screeched the dragonfly, “It shall be mine forever!” She flew away as quickly as she had come.

 

The Knights of Fritillary, three large army ants, stepped forward and announced that they will bring the golden cocoon back unharmed. The knights commanded their battle bees to come forward, jumped on their backs and bravely took to the sky.

 

All the townsfolk were scared and they ran home, shut their windows tight and locked their doors. The only light to be found was from the window of Adam and Abby Ant. “We could sure use those gold coins,” said Abby. “We always wanted our own farm. The poor Queen and King were so sad. I think we can help them. I was searching for berries one day and I remember a cave. It could be the cave of the dragonfly.”

 

“I have a plan,” said Adam. “Let’s find out if the cave belongs to the dragonfly and then we can tell the Queen and King where it is.”

 

“Good plan,” said Abby. Adam and Abby began their journey to find the cave. The light of the moon helped them stay on a path around the wetlands and toward the berry field.

 

Adam passed a mushroom when something long and sticky tried to grab him. “Petuey! Yelled a giant frog, with a piece of mushroom in it’s mouth. Adam and Abby ran as fast as they could, the frog hopping behind them. They saw a large rock and dove under it. The frog hopped on top of the rock. Adam and Abby were trapped. How were they going to escape the frog and find the dragonfly’s cave?

 

Abby had an idea. She lifted a stone that was 10 times her size. Sure enough the frog saw it move and SNAP! his tongue caught it. The frog could not spit out the stone, it was stuck in his mouth. Abby and Adam ran leaving the frog far behind.

 

The sun began to rise and all the creatures of the wetland came alive. Adam and Abby climbed a tall cattail to get a good look above. “I see it, I see the cave!” Abby said pointing…

 

”DRAGONFLY!” yelled Adam. The dragonfly came out of nowhere and close behind were the Knights of Fritillary on their battle bees. They were flying and spinning through the air, up high and down low. “Let’s get the cocoon!” yelled Adam. Abby was right by his side.

 

They came upon the dragonfly cave. It was dark and wet, but Abby and Adam fearlessly made their way inside and there sat the golden cocoon of Fritillary. “Help me carry it,” said Adam. When they tried to lift it " it was empty. “Oh no, we’re too late!”

 

Suddenly there was a zipping sound. The dragonfly landed at the entrance of her cave. “Who’s in my cave?” She commanded.

 

Adam and Abby were scared. They looked for a way out. Something deep in the cave began to move closer, and closer, and… why, it was a butterfly. “It’s the Princess of Fritillary,“ said Abby, “she must have hatched from the cocoon. We have to get her home.”

 

“Who’s in my cave, answer me!” yelled the dragonfly.

 

Adam and Abby jumped on the back of the Princess of Fritillary. She began to flutter and Abby directed her to fly forward and she did, through the cave right into the dragonfly. The dragonfly lost her balance and fell into the thorny berry bushes.

 

Zigzagging through the sky, the princess carried Adam and Abby back to the castle. The Knights of Fritillary followed them. Word spread that the dragonfly had been defeated and all the townsfolk gathered to see Adam and Abby return with the princess. The Queen and King were in tears, tears of happiness as they had their baby back again.

Adam and Abby walked forward and was presented with ribbons around their neck and a bag full of gold coins. Now they could get the farm they always dreamed of. The Princess of Fritillary bowed to them and everyone joined together singing and dancing happily ever after.

© 2014 Jane E. Ries


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
Added on September 8, 2014
Last Updated on September 8, 2014
Tags: Butterfly story, butterfly, dragonfly, cocoon, kingdom, king, queen

Author

Jane E. Ries
Jane E. Ries

Columbus, OH



About
These stories and poems represent a book in the making. The title of which is still undecided. My goal has been to present animals in ways that are compassionate and often funny. I hope you enjoy and .. more..

Writing