Veins

Veins

A Story by Jansen Duncan
"

Sometimes you need to shed the bad, and grow some good. This is dedicateto anyone who's picked me up when I have fallen. Leigh Edwards, Tyler Fields, friends, Grandma Linda, and my parents. I love you

"
In the beginning there was nothing. But there soon came to be something. An unexpected growth hiding beneath the weeds that would cause our veins to intertwine, so our blood could run through each others bodies. Maybe that was the warmth I felt. That something, that came to be. I never thought a tree could grow from a weed, but now I see I was mistaken. I never thought growing was going to be such a difficult journey. I never thought staying young would be so hard. 

That something. That something behind your smile when I made you happy. That something behind the sparks that would fly when your hand rested on my forearm. That something behind the laughs and giggles when we were in class trying to avoid learning. I could never find it, that something, but I knew it was there. I just knew it was there. 

It hid in the flames of the fire, and in the gasses of the atmosphere. It hid in the strands of hair I'd pull from my t-shirt knowing it was yours. It hid in your fingertips that ran across my scalp as I lied paralyzed in the pool of comfort I had been floating in. Never, not even once, did the thought cross my mind that I would drown in this pool. Not even once did I think that our pores would rest against each other without a flaw. Our fingerprints branded onto each others hands... and phones. That something was out there, but it was lost, or was I? 

The shoestring that tied our fingers together was starting to wither away, and I couldn't sew them together if I wanted to. This is when the wrinkles in my face began to fall. My lips begin to quiver. I'll hold this in. At least for now. That something is in my heart now, but I don't see it in you at the moment. The cheer in your eyes, and the extra-widened smile. The giggles that slip out when you think I'm not listening. I heard. I heard your contentment. I heard your commitment. 

Where'd the shoestring go? The one that tied us together? The one that kept us as one. The one that kept us connected. My feet has sprouted roots, and your feet are resting in the soil. I'm submerged into the ground, and you are resting upon it. You've seen me buried, and you've seen me worried. So now we're here, our fingers are no longer tied together by the string that kept us united. We're broken, and we're scared of what's ahead. Dead, lying on our beds, with our hearts held in one hand and an eye in the other, because we can't bear to see what we've done to each other. 

The eye in my hand is yours, and the eye in your hand is mine. Our souls bounce off the walls and hit the ceiling. They haven't left us because we aren't physically dead, but because we're alive but not living. What was once living inside us wasn't just our own souls, but each others.Your blood ran through my veins keeping me warm, and your soul protected mine from the storms to come. My feet remain planted into the soil, and blood leaks from my roots and I refuse to believe. I refuse to believe that my bark is aging and I am becoming weak. Hollow, and fragile I stand. 

My palms still remember you, and so do my eyes. I may be fading, but my memory is still as bright as the future we had imagined since the first day. You're now holding both eyes, as what I was holding dropped but our retinas were knotted. I'm facing the floor, and you're facing the sky. Just like it always was... just like it always will be. 

You could shoot for the stars and make it there, your universe has no limits. I have difficulties trying to reach my confidence on the top shelf. 

Destruction. This forest has been burned. Cold and horizontal I lay. Blind and lost. My half of the withered shoe string hasn't yet left my finger, and your half has remained on yours as well. My leaves have fallen but my remains endure. Visible and vulnerable. My leaves sink into the soil where my feet were planted. The land is bare and exposed. There will be a future, my leaves made sure of it. 

In the beginning there was nothing. But there soon came to be something. An unexpected growth hiding beneath the weeds that would cause our veins to intertwine, so our blood could run through each others bodies. I see the sun, and feel the heat. We're growing. 

"Your world's not falling apart, it's falling into place" 
-Casting Crowns

© 2017 Jansen Duncan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

451 Views
Added on May 31, 2017
Last Updated on May 31, 2017
Tags: Alone, Nature, Trees, String, Leaves, Remain, Veins, Retina, Vein, Roots, Bark