Various Mosques in Beijing

Various Mosques in Beijing

A Story by jaslyncea
"

Although most Beijing locals are Buddhists, the mosques of the Islam religion has become important parts of the Chinese culture, and are often the primary destinations of many people...

"
Although most Beijing locals are Buddhists, the mosques of the Islam religion has become important parts of the Chinese culture, and are often the primary destinations of many people who travel from Singapore to Beijing. These religious structures are commonly highlighted in tour itineraries offered by many travel agencies; thereby giving further importance to the roles it play in the heritage of the city.


Definitely, finding a mosque or masjid in Beijing is never an issue. There are so many of these sacred edifices around the city. Here is the list of some of the most popular:


1) Niu Jie Mosque �" Located in Xuanwu District, this mosque is the most famous in Beijing. It is also the oldest, and is therefore the most historic and important of all. Flaunting a mixture of Chinese and Arabic influences on its architecture, this mosque is a delight to the eyes. It was originally built in 996 and was renovated in 1949.


2) Dongsi Mosque �" A renowned masjid in Beijing, the Dongsi Mosque was built during the Ming Dynasty. Since then, it has been known as the Imperial Mosque. It is famed for its De Fu Library that holds a lot of Islam treasures, including the copy of Koran which was handwritten by the prophet Muhammad himself. The said treasure is now considered as one of China’s most important cultural relics.


3) Nandouya Mosque �" First built during the Yuan Dynasty, the Nandouya Mosque features a traditional Chinese style architecture which appeals greatly to pilgrims and tourists alike. Relocated in the Nandouya Hutong on 2003, this mosque boasts of a main hall, prayer rooms and courtyards.


4) Madian Mosque �" Located in an area that measures 3,800 square meters, the Madian Mosque has a typical Chinese courtyard, a prayer hall, and teaching rooms. Female Muslims are given a separate female prayer hall for them. This mosque has been in existence since Qing Dynasty.


5) Dewai Mosque �" A famous mosque in Beijing that features classic Chinese design, this timeless religious edifice has been a favorite destination for many pilgrims and tourists. It guarantees a dignified vibe that is exuded by its gates, halls and rooms that reflects the typical Ming and Qing Dynasties’ architectural styles.


6) Haidian Mosque �" With its three-entrance courtyard, it is easy to say that Haidian Mosque occupies a large space. Its prayer hall has three Baoxia houses, setting it apart from all others. It was built during the Ming Dynasty and since then, this mosque has become an important part of the Muslim culture in Beijing. In the north of the temple can be found a vegetable garden and a cemetery.


7) Jinshifang Street Mosque �" An attractive structure located in Jinshifang Street in Xicheng District, this mosque is definitely one of the most famous of its kind in Beijing. It boasts of a magnificent temple style that was first built in 1429 during the Ming Dynasty. This temple houses 150 Arabic classical lections and 100 volumes of Persian classical lections. It is the center of the Islamic Association in the said district.


8) Changying Mosque �" First built during the Zhengde Period of the Ming Dynasty, the Changying Mosque is definitely one of the most beautiful masjids in the city. The layout is imposing, sending off an elegant vibe which tourists would surely love. It sure exudes the appeal of modern and ancient times.


Listed above are just some of the most important mosques in Beijing. Finding it one by one could be a little daunting, though; so if planning to visit these religious places, it is best to book for a Muslim tour package which itineraries include stops to these temples. This way, travelers would easily be able to reach these sacred venues.

© 2013 jaslyncea


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
Added on July 5, 2013
Last Updated on July 5, 2013
Tags: Beijing travel, Beijing tour, Beijing travel guide, Beijing travel tips, Muslim travel, mosques

Author

jaslyncea
jaslyncea

Singapore, Singapore



About
Jaslyn Lim is a Bachelor's Degree Holder of Business and Commerce in a university in Singapore. She loves blogging, social networking, and traveling. On of her blog, Top 10 Travel list, is focused on .. more..

Writing