SAFETY FIRST: Women’s Guide in India

SAFETY FIRST: Women’s Guide in India

A Story by jaslyncea
"

India is placed on the hot seat right now after incidents of sexual assaults against women, including foreigners, were reported. This generated so much fear among tourists that trips were cancelled ri

"
India, despite all the negative issues surrounding it, is still a beautiful country to be explored; and it is a waste to sacrifice all that because of some safety threats.

Actually, it is possible to claim that people pursuing their travel to India just have one thought: It’s about how you stay away from danger. While it is true that what is bound happen will happen, it doesn’t hurt to practice caution to get away from the possibilities. Thus, here are some tips, especially for the women:


1. Do not travel solo.

Solo traveling is fun but it’s better not to try it India as it does attract evil elements, knowing that the victim is alone. As much as possible, tour around India in pairs or join travel tour packages with groups.


2. Don’t be afraid to make a commotion in public places.

Sexual assault is not just about rape. It can be as subliminal as touching or groping. If it makes you uncomfortable, speak up. This usually happens in crowded areas like in public transportation so if you can’t avoid these places, prepare to create a commotion. Chances are your offender will just stay away in shame.

 
3. Book your hotels prior to your trip.

This will give you an exact destination to go to right after you got out of the airport. Roaming around with your luggage looking for a hotel can attract criminals.


4. Don’t show too much skin.

Despite the heat, don’t wear revealing clothes as this usually triggers sexual assaults. Dress accordingly so you won’t attraction unwanted attention. A pair of not so skimpy shirt and jeans will be okay against the humid weather of India. A scarf may also be added. When going for a swim, wear white tshirt over your bikinis, as this is the proper custom.


5. Pay more for better privacy.

This may not be a good idea for budget travelers, but it is a must if you want to assure your safety. Airconditioned taxis and more expensive train sections tend to have less people, so there is less possibility of you being violated.


6. Put the police on your speed dial.

The number is 100. Put it on your speed dial so you just have to press the key even behind your back when you feel like there’s danger. It’s best to alert them as soon as possible.


7.    Stay in the hotel after dark.

Darkness is where evil elements lurk. It is their greatest ally. So better stay in the hotel after dark. Choose a hotel where there are shops, dining venues, or bars to keep you entertained.


8. Always lock your door.

Sometimes, criminals can take things to extremes, so better lock your doors. Make sure it has bolts or rubber stoppers. That would give you enough time to ask for help should the unexpected happen.


9. Never accept alcoholic drinks from strangers.

You can always buy your own as alcohol is quite cheap in India. You don’t need to trust strangers because there might be additions in your drink and you wouldn’t want that.


10. Stop being too friendly.


While it is good to meet new people during your India tours, it is best not to be too friendly. You don’t have to divulge everything about you to people you just met. That’s like opening your doors to danger.


Take the issues in India seriously as you go there for trips. Never let your guard down. Follow the tips, and be very vigilant. For better safety, it is best to book your tours with a group.  

© 2013 jaslyncea


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

991 Views
Added on September 11, 2013
Last Updated on September 11, 2013
Tags: India travel, India tours, India travel guide, India travel tips, India, travel

Author

jaslyncea
jaslyncea

Singapore, Singapore



About
Jaslyn Lim is a Bachelor's Degree Holder of Business and Commerce in a university in Singapore. She loves blogging, social networking, and traveling. On of her blog, Top 10 Travel list, is focused on .. more..

Writing