Police Tape

Police Tape

A Story by Julia

   When I was a little girl, my uncle dropped snow down my back when we were playing outside. A small shiver began at the base of my back and worked its way up. It lasted months, a feeling I couldn’t seem to shake. To this day I don’t know what it was. But I haven’t played in the snow since. When I passed the yellow tape, blocking off a crime scene on my way home, I had no idea that I would soon associate tape with a tragedy like no other. When I got the call, I stood at the window and looked out. Policemen stood at the end of the block, guarding bright yellow tape with shiny belts and badges, the passive look on their faces a friendly reminder that they were still human. But at the moment they weren’t human. None of them were. In fact, they didn’t exist. I stared into the bright clear sky and imagined myself floating up towards the clouds and avoiding life all together. What did I need it for anyway? Up in the clouds everything is soft. It is like jumping up and down forever, nothing to hold on to, completely free. That is how I should have felt; free. Because in a sense, I was. I jumped up and down a few times on the hard wood floor, feeling heavier each time I landed. A weight settled right on the surface of my heart and even as I leaned this way and that, it refused to slide off. I had always assumed the heart had a slippery surface but apparently I had been wrong. If I were up in the clouds, there would be no weight. It wouldn’t make it up that high. There would be no tape, no policemen with shiny badges and soft faces. I would be alone but I would be happy. The world sat on my shoulders like a heavy paper-weight, one that jumping couldn’t get rid of, as much as I tried. The world was like a snow globe, everything shaken and now I sat upside down. But the clouds remained high above it all and if I could reach them I knew I would be safe. I walked outside, slowly and deliberately. As I walked down the block, I reached out and tore at the police tape. I was headed for the clouds, where there was no snow, no police tape and no death.

© 2010 Julia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have great imagery with your stories. Its really easy to feel like you're a part of whats going on and it flows very nicely. Keep up the good work.

~Cattie

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
1 Review
Added on April 4, 2010
Last Updated on April 4, 2010

Author

Julia
Julia

New York, NY



About
Closet writer. Young. Cynical. Intelligent. Blunt. more..

Writing
Crushed Heart Crushed Heart

A Story by Julia