A Path of Roses

A Path of Roses

A Story by Joey K

A Path of Roses

He walks slowly through the woods, early in the morning. He looks behind him, seeing the city he lives in. He looks upon the castle within the hold. The flags flail in the wind that shakes the trees above him. The man takes in a deep breathe through his nose and closes his eyes. He feels the wind brush against his face and he slowly opens his eyes. He removes his sword from its scabbard and sits down on a fallen log, setting the sword on his lap. He examines his sword, seeing the sunlight glaze across the shiny metal. He hears a rustle in the bushes and stands up quickly. There’s nothing there, but a rose. The man brings his hand closer to the rose. He keeps bringing his hand closer and closer to the shiny red petal. Suddenly it bursts into flames. The man yells and leaps back, falling to the ground. He looks around, shocked, and grabs his sword.

What the hell,” he says to himself. He slides the sword away into its scabbard and continues down the path. He sees another rose with shiny red petals. He doesn’t dare touch it. He simply stares at it, and carefully moves around it. He continues down the path, crossing between two hills. He looks up, the shadow from the walls of the trench darken his face. He continues through the trench and lands back on the path. He hears someone laughing in the distance. He frantically looks around for the laughter, but he cannot find it. The laughter dances around his ears. Then he sees a woman. His eyes widen, baffled by her beauty. The girl sees him from a distance and they catch eyes for a short moment. The man waves to her and approaches her.

Hello!” he greets. “What brings you to the forest?”

Just walking the land, enjoying the sights good sir,” she says.

Yes it is a pleasant day,” he agrees. “Would you enjoy some company?” The girl smiles, flattered by his offer. She nods her head. The man comes closer to her and they continue to walk through the woods.

Are you from here?” the girl asks.

Ever since I was a boy,” he explains. “Never been farther from home than these woods. How about yourself?”

Me as well, I must’ve seen you before, but I’m afraid we’ve never met,” she says.

Well I’m glad we did,” he says, smiling. We approach the coast of a small creek and stop our feet before the water. The girl looks down at the ground around her and spots a rose. She reaches out to grab it, but the man grabs her arm and snaps it back. She shakes, startled by his arm. She puts her hand on her chest.

It’s okay, it’s just a rose,” she says, she swiftly bends over and plucks the rose from the earth. The man stares in disbelief.

Are you alright?” she asks.

Why, yes I’m alright,” he says, laughing it off. We catch eyes once again. I extend my hand and take hers. We look out to the creek and slowly the sun begins to set. The man’s heart begins to race. He had just woken up. He swore it was still morning.

What the hell,” he mutters to himself. He goes to squeeze her hand a bit, but he looks down to find he’s holding a rose. The rose bursts into fire, burning his hand. The man screams in pain and the sun sets, leaving him in complete darkness. He can only see a path between the fields of roses. He looks down the path of roses and sees the girl singing. He runs to the girl in hopes of rescuing her. He sprints down the path of roses. Suddenly he feels a force push him into the field of roses. All the roses combust into fire, burning him. He looks through the flames to see the girl, waving at him. He extends his hand for help, but she walks away, leaving the man to be judged by the flames.


© 2018 Joey K


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

There's much to wonder and much wonder to feel here. The story is very gentle in how it proceeds, sweeping the mind right in from the start, the pictures, of knights and castle, medieval times, strong essence, the bomber rose is a flicker in the screen, but it's calm again until the switch between first and third person narrative. You think, a typo, or is it intentional, then it happens again. The style in the dialogue adds to the aura of fine fantasy. I thought they were separate scenes so i had to read that part again and decided they probably were, around the water and on the road. The confusion of dreaming, ending in a cruel unfair ending. Or a lesson learnt. Deep impression, fine fine work.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Joey K

5 Years Ago

Thank you! I was definitely was interested how this short story was written. From your review It was.. read more
Rana

5 Years Ago

I couldn't have guessed it was a typo for real after reading to the end, it seemed befitting, like a.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 22, 2018
Last Updated on June 22, 2018

Author

Joey K
Joey K

MN



About
My name is Joey Knisely, I've been writing for quite a few years now, looking forward to becoming a freelance writer/journalist. At the moment, I'm working on a short-novel [email protected].. more..

Writing
Remember Remember

A Poem by Joey K