What it's like being a Christian in 2020

What it's like being a Christian in 2020

A Story by Jacob Dzik

We are one week away from the presidential election. Both sides are screaming why you should vote for them and the consequences of what will happen if you don't. There's more division than I've ever seen in my lifetime, and 2020 has been a year, I think most people have never experienced. As Christians, the bible tells us to take heart, because Christ has overcome the world. So why am I and so many others still anxious and scared? I've had many nights where I wake up in a sweat and it feels hard to breathe. I go on social media and my heart starts racing seeing all the arguments and terrible news in the world. I hear so many different things ranging from the pandemic, to why you are an idiot if you think a certain way that differs from someone else. I fall into the trap of wanting to please the world and not offend anyone instead of sticking up for Christ and what the bible says. I want to tiptoe around everything and stay quiet. This has been a hard, hard year. I've questioned many things and wondered what I'm supposed to do with all this. 
I think it is very important, but at the end of the day, this is NOT my home. I love America. I love living here and am more than blessed. But this is just temporary. Heaven is my home. God tells me not to be of this world. And yet, I am one of the most guilty of being of this world. I want material possessions, and things the world screams at me that I should have. But Heaven is where my true treasure is. I have to tattoo that in my mind more than anyone. The world is chaotic right now, and the only thing that will bring us true peace is Jesus. I think it's important to get involved and vote, but ultimately, Jesus is and always will be in control. It might not seem like it, but we have a limited perspective, and he is working. If you don't already and think you need to talk to someone about your mental health, I would highly recommend it. It has done many great things for me. There's NOTHING weak about it. It takes courage. 
The last thing I'm going to say is something I read in a devotion. When Jesus was on the cross, he was SUFFERING for the world. He was PERFECT and taking our sin. Another man who was being put to death, cried out saying he was a rightful prisoner, Jesus didn't deserve this, and to remember him when Jesus arrives at his kingdom. Jesus tells him that today he will be with him in paradise. At this moment, Jesus is facing his darkest moment carrying the weight of OUR sins, and going to die. Yet, he chooses to comfort a sinner in the darkest time of his death on the cross. So if you're anxious now about America and the future, remember that Jesus comforted a sinner. 

© 2020 Jacob Dzik


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on October 27, 2020
Last Updated on October 27, 2020

Author

Jacob Dzik
Jacob Dzik

TX



About
I love movies, tv, reading, and just coming up with stories. more..

Writing
Cash Cash

A Story by Jacob Dzik


Alone Alone

A Story by Jacob Dzik


Untitled Untitled

A Story by Jacob Dzik