THE BEAUTY!

THE BEAUTY!

A Story by jen -- JG
"

something that came from a 'what if' thought

"

 

The Beauty!

 

 

 

It all began long ago and far away in another place and time. No one understood that we could speak and no one cared one way or the other. Just because we were different and didn’t speak out loud, didn’t mean we were stupid! It just meant we didn’t speak if there was no reason to do so.

 

For a long time nothing much happened and it was so quiet. Even the air was still. We couldn’t hear a single sound anywhere. Then it began, a soft crackling sound, and short spiky things appeared, and before you could say " What in the world is happening to the wonderful peace and quiet we had here before any of this carry on?" they were every where. And they were so NOISY.

 

They never shut up. Talk, talk, talk! That’s all they did all day long. We were most angry about it and decided to keep to ourselves but that only made it worse in some ways, because it gave them a reason to say "Don’t bother about them, they’re stuck up" and they crowded up real close to us, just to annoy us even more.

 

We persisted and their ploy to annoy us further didn’t last for very long because after awhile they all got browned off and the annoyance sort of died out.

 

Unfortunately after a time of peace and quiet they returned with friends and the chatter, chatter, chatter continued.

 

We did everything we could think to get rid of them, but nothing worked.

 

We even stopped talking, except for the occasional whisper to our nearest neighbour, hoping they’d get the message and stay quiet. Did that work? Not on your Nellie! They continued their constant chatter, and more and more turned up until the consistent babble became a roar.

 

Oh, how we longed for some peace and quiet.

 

Quite out of the blue one day, a massive rush of red roaring came, and the annoying spiky things disappeared in a cloud of black. So did a lot of our neighbours. At long last there was quiet all around. Nothing was happening.

 

There was no sound. From the stillness a neighbour suddenly called out "I’m bored!" A sudden ripple of excitement shivered through us.

 

Another voice called "Who said that?

 

No reply and there was silence again for a long time.

 

Time passed, but a thought had been generated, "I’m bored!" What in the name of all that was anything at all did, ‘I’m bored’ mean? Surely this peace and quiet had to be good, after all the noise and confusion we’d gone through in the past.

 

Then one day everything changed. Buzzing sounds startled us, the screams erupting from our neighbours, and loud crashing sounds filled the air. Then as suddenly as it began, it stopped.

 

Blessed silence again, but everything wore a heavy coat of choking dust.

 

The few neighbours remaining grumbled about the dust and being bored but after a while they became quiet, the dust settled and peace reigned again. Time passed and then one by one the neighbours began to disappear.

 

One dark misty morning I realized I was alone! "What has happened?" I called in vain. No reply came back..

 

How I wished I’d taken the time to get to know all my neighbours. It was so quiet now that I began to yearn for the chatter of the short spiky things.

 

There was nothing to do. I felt, I felt … Suddenly I knew how I felt. "I’m bored! I shouted. I shouted it as loud as I could. "I’m BORED!"

 

Suddenly a roaring sound began and something sharp tore into my side.

 

I felt myself falling and screamed. I just lay there, numbed with shock as my beauty was stripped bare. I couldn’t even call for help!

 

The last I remember was a faint voice sounding over the blazing roar "This SURE is a beauty. We’ll get a lot of floor boards out of this one."

 

 

©Copyright jen-JG 2005

© 2008 jen -- JG


Author's Note

jen -- JG
anything you wish to say here - honesty is good.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Clever~ I enjoyed the ride through your words. Very creative! Keep writing~

Posted 15 Years Ago


Beautiful, funny, and sad. How cool. I will have to favorite this. I like to write with this twist too. This is awesome.

Posted 15 Years Ago


You're a tree! Wow! This was great! I didn't have it at all figured out until the last line. You made it so mysterious, sounded like something from outer space. Highly creative! And the chattering things are birds! How clever you are. I think I'll have to share this one.
Thanks for writing this!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Jen, this was fanastic, HAAAAAAAAA!!!!! I had to read this twice, the first time around, I thought you were talking about the WC sight, about the things that have happened here over the last few years, the gossip, the chatter, people leaving, then the silence, the bordom, the little whispers amongst friends. I am cracking up at this point, I thought it was clever and the metaphor was perfect, I went to read it again and then I realized you were talking about the forrest, which was as clever as my first thought. Excellent work Jen. I believe you can write about anything, amazing.
Antony

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 14, 2008

Author

jen -- JG
jen -- JG

Melbourne, Australia



About
I enjoy reading, writing and watching movies. There are two adorable cats in our household who give us much pleasure. i enjoy writing poetry of most kinds, rhyme - open verse - and often anything a.. more..

Writing