View from The Tree-house

View from The Tree-house

A Story by jen -- JG
"

written for the "Disturbia Right! contest" I have never seen the movie or the trailer this contest is based on but ...

"

 

View From The Tree-house

 

Eight-year-old Billy Jarvis wanted to be a doctor when he grew up and began early by making a stethoscope out of bottle tops and an empty cola bottle by trying them together with string.

 

His neighbour Wendy Carter, two years younger than he, was usually his willing patient, only this time they were caught in the tree house together when they both should have been sound asleep in their beds.

 

Trust Wendy to giggle when the cold cola bottle touched her naked back.

 

Wendy was sent home with a scolding and Billy was grounded for a week.

 

It had only been a day and he was bored silly. He’d read all his books, filled in all his colour sheets and was sick of watching telly.

 

He was grounded, but his mum did say he could go into his tree house, he just wasn’t allowed to leave the yard.

 

So off Billy went, armed with his binoculars, toy sword and pirate hat.

 

For awhile he just swished his sword around and called out to his pirate friends. Then he petted the imaginary one-legged parrot on his shoulder and dozed.

 

Some time later, strange noises woke him from a deep sleep. He rubbed his eyes and grabbed his binoculars and pointed them towards where the sounds were coming from.

 

Two houses down, people were having a party. And what a party that was.

 

There were dogs and cats dressed up in coats, dresses and hats. A small pony wore a pink frill around its neck and had a monkey sitting on its back. Even the people looked weird with funny looking colours on their faces and in their hair. Some were much taller than usual as well. Their heads almost reached the treetops in their yard and one of them was putting fire in his mouth!

 

Billy shuddered and turned his binoculars to the house next door. Not the house where his friend Wendy lived, but the one on the other side of the yard.

 

Old Bill Turner lived there He kept a goat in the back yard and often led it around like a dog. He was little man, only about five feet tall and very skinny and usually wore long trousers and a check shirt. Today was different though, because Old Bill Turner came outside in a pair of tight shorts and a lady’s top. Then he climbed onto the goat’s back and rode it round and round the yard. When he got off, Billy could see he was also wearing high-heeled shoes.

 

Billy giggled so much that he almost fell right out of the tree house.

 

Then Billy looked into Wendy’s yard next door and saw Wendy trying to get her pet rabbit to eat a hotdog she had just dipped into mustard. "I must tell her that rabbits much prefer carrots" Billy muttered to himself as he swung his binoculars further around and caught movement from a house up on the hill behind him.

 

"Whoa, what’s this, the people are naked!" His first thoughts were to look away but his interest in being a doctor kept him looking. "They don’t look anything like Wendy and me without clothes on," he grumbled to himself.

 

He couldn’t help but giggle because all the naked people were having so much fun, jumping into the pool and playing piggyback rides. Some of the ladies were even playing piggy front rides! Nothing much else seemed to be happening and Billy soon got bored with looking at the naked people.

 

Not long after, Billy’s mum called him inside for his dinner and told him to watch telly until it was time for his bath and bed.

 

Just before he went to sleep that night, Billy wondered if Wendy would play piggyback or piggy-front rides with him, next time she came into his tree house when they both should be sound asleep.

 

ã Copyright jen-JG 15th July 2008

 

 

 

© 2008 jen -- JG


Author's Note

jen -- JG
anything you wish to say honsty is good.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this made me laugh so hard it was funny...Just a magine if this little on would ask his mother to look out the window. I could just see her face now...lol great writing peice
chow
sara

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow! What a great story! Good luck in the contest! Shoot, I don't know which one to root for now! Both great stories and I do hope you win!

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like the general idea here, the story has a definatly disturbing conclusion. I got the feeling that this was more of a rough draft, needing a little fleshing out (no pun intended -lol). Thanks for the read, though, I always enjoy your work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Now I know why I needed a tree house! From down on the ground, I could see none of that. Bored with looking at naked people? This is quite an entertaining tale. Thank you, Jen.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is... strange. Strange is what you're going for, though, right? I like the innocence that you capture in this piece: Billy sees a lot of weird, "grown up" things that don't make sense to him, and it's interesting reading about them from a little kid's perspective. It's a good idea and you execute it pretty well. I would just say that it puzzles me how you spaced it out so much - why not have longer paragraphs?

Nice job with this - it was entertaining.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 15, 2008
Last Updated on July 15, 2008

Author

jen -- JG
jen -- JG

Melbourne, Australia



About
I enjoy reading, writing and watching movies. There are two adorable cats in our household who give us much pleasure. i enjoy writing poetry of most kinds, rhyme - open verse - and often anything a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..