Just The Way We were

Just The Way We were

A Story by jen -- JG
"

Something just that came to mind for the contest

"

 

Just the way we were.

 

Short story by jg-JG

 

Here we are then, at the end of the road. Who knows what will happen from here on? You know, my love, we lived through some pretty good times and of course some pretty bad ones as well, but we stood tall together, stayed strong and faced whatever happened, fought all the battles and brought sun into the shadows. We faced life head on! We couldn’t have done anything else, ‘cause that’s just the way we were.

 

I remember how blinkered we once were, trusting too much and living on hopes and dreams. We were deceived over and over, just innocent lambs waiting for the experienced wolves to lead us to slaughter. Still, we struggled, and survived, we learned the hard way, but we learned, ‘cause that’s the way we were.

 

We lived a full life didn’t we love, went on adventures, had children, travelled the world, made and lost a fortune or two along the way, we had our ups and downs, survived floods and fire and whatever else was tossed our way. We kept our heads up a smiled our troubles away, ‘cause that’s just the way were.

 

Now, look at you love, that half smile on your face that tells me you know exactly what I’m thinking and what I want to say. You look so good, almost good enough to eat, I can hear you say, but I have to stop thinking this way, don’t I. The others are waiting to say goodbye, my love, so I have to leave you here in this beautiful, silent room and go on alone. We were so good together, we fit each other like two peas in a pod, and life with you was never dull. I’ll miss that, love, I’ll miss you... and the way we were.

 

I stand beside your grave my love, everyone has gone now and the clouds are scudding madly across the darkening sky. I think the angels are weeping, my love, for you ...for me ... and     for the way we were.

 

ã Copyright jen-JG 22nd July 2008

© 2008 jen -- JG


Author's Note

jen -- JG
anything you wish to say - honesty is good

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Brought tears to my eyes. At the beginning, I thought it was going to be a breakup type story. But it wasn't. Death does not tear us apart. You will meet once again and continue to be 'the way you were'. Writing is meant to instill emotion in the reader and you have done that in me. Thank you. Well Done.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
1 Review
Added on July 22, 2008
Last Updated on July 23, 2008

Author

jen -- JG
jen -- JG

Melbourne, Australia



About
I enjoy reading, writing and watching movies. There are two adorable cats in our household who give us much pleasure. i enjoy writing poetry of most kinds, rhyme - open verse - and often anything a.. more..

Writing