What Could I Expect in 2021

What Could I Expect in 2021

A Story by Jennifer Webster
"

Even though it is an all-new year, it is still a time of uncertainty due to the pandemic; but when the going gets tough, writers like myself keep going...

"

And so it was with this that this happens to be my first piece for the Writer's Cafe of 2021; if you ask me, 2020 was the very worst year that any of us had ever had in all of our lives, and it is so very easy to see why: this country, as well as the world, has been facing and are still facing a horrible pandemic that has begun in March of last year, and the other reason we are still in a pandemic is because our now-former President had failed to take action on a very serious situation, choosing instead to focus on his own needs in the political sense…

       But I really do not want to talk any more about that, because it does not bear repeating anymore. What I really want to write about in this great old writing community is this: An all-new year has arrived, and with a new year comes the thoughts that I would be conjuring up in my mind about what kind of goals I would achieve in this new year; of course, in ordinary times, I would write down plans for any writing/creativity goals that I would very much like to achieve in the new year. But unfortunately, these are not normal times. In fact, these are times of uncertainty, and when you live in these times of uncertainty, it is impossible to write down your goal-making plans without something unexpected that changes everything, be it an illness or a furlough extension. 

       Speaking of which, when the pandemic hit in March in Dover in the state of Delaware, I had been furloughed from my job as a food service at Sodexo for ServiceSource; originally, my furlough was supposed to be from March until late July. However, as the pandemic got worse instead of better, my furlough was then extended until September...and then so on and so forth. As of this writing, my furlough has been extended every month, and I suspect that they are going to continue doing so until the pandemic ends. 


Meanwhile, during my time of furlough, I had been using that time throughout this past year doing what I had wanted to do, but did not had the chance to because I was at work: Do writing and art projects, whether it be for blogs or at online writing communities like this one, the Writer's Cafe. 

       I had spent as much time as I could writing what I know and then sharing it with the people; and now, with a new year dawning, in which it has been three weeks since the new year just started, I plan to try and cram as much time as I can to write good stuff for my audience. And if I am lucky enough in 2021, I just might be able to write another Kindle book! When I became an author, my original plan was to write and publish a new work on Kindle every year. But now with a pandemic still raging, I am thinking that it would be impossible to do something like that without unexpected bad news, whether it is someone in my family or something that happened at my job that would cause me to not ever return to work ever again. 

       It is indeed hard to try and come up with ideas as well as planning to set your goals when there happens to be a pandemic going on; it is even impossible to continue to pursue your dreams of recognition for your writing when you hear news of people getting sick night after night after night. And do you want to know something else? It is hard to focus on your writing when you've got your own family members screaming all around you, and it is surely impossible to concentrate when you worry about your family all the time, and then you make a mistake by misspelling a word! 

However, despite all that I have endured this past year and what I would be enduring in this year, I had to find a way to keep my sanity, and one of the very best ways to do that is with having fun with creativity, and one of the ways to have fun with creativity is to write. And to write on. 

© 2021 Jennifer Webster


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on January 23, 2021
Last Updated on January 23, 2021
Tags: 2021, Pandemic, Creativity, Uncertainty, Thoughts

Author

Jennifer Webster
Jennifer Webster

Felton, DE



About
I formerly lived in Philadelphia but I now live in Felton, DE; I am a writer, author, and cartoonist, and I am currently taking time off as a food service worker for a company called Sodexo at the Do.. more..

Writing