Whispers In The Dark

Whispers In The Dark

A Chapter by Jenny Leigh
"

After an investigation at a very haunted abandoned hospital, Draven begins to hear whispers in his house. Maybe he's just crazy.

"
     It was Saturday night, our usual hunting night, and the team had gathered at my house. Well, I guess I should say our house. Ryan and I share a two bedroom house in the small town of Patience, Illinois. On that night, we had all decided to check out an abandoned hospital Ryan knew about in the next town over. It was supposed to be haunted by some kind of bad spirits that would chase you down the halls. Ryan said that the rumors were that you could hear children playing, people talking, see people walking from room to room, and hear foot steps running straight toward you. I was always the one that had to see it to believe it any way. 
     On our way to the hospital, we stopped for a quick bite at the local Wendy's. We usually stopped for food before any investigation. The last thing you needed on an EVP is someones stomach making growling noises. That can make you think you've heard a demon in a heart beat. Once we arrived at the hospital, we did an equipment check. Since there wasn't any power in the old, dilapidated building, we wouldn't be needing our big camera unit. Besides, the building wasn't very large in itself. In the end we decided to take a couple of hand held video recorders, our digital voice recorders, regular camera, digital infrared thermometer, and an electro-magnetic field meter. We call the electro-magnetic field meter an EMF meter. We also took walkie-talkie's, to help keep in touch with each other, and flash lights to see where we were going. The building was only two stories tall, but you never know what could be inside. Sam and Emma always had pepper spray on them. I had taken martial arts, and taught it for a while, during high school. Tyler carried a small pocket knife with him. Ryan didn't have anything, and when Tyler offered his knife to him once, Ryan politely refused saying "Look at me. Do I look like someone that gets messed with often?" He then turned and walked off and didn't get to hear Tyler reply with, "Point and match. Satan 1-Tyler none."
     Inside we divided up and went two separate ways. I took Emma and Tyler and we headed to the second floor. Ryan and Sam stayed on the first to investigate it. The second floor had mostly just patient rooms, a nurses desk, a couple of rooms that I believed to be operating rooms, and a nursery that still had a few of the old baby beds. In each room we explored, we filmed, ran an EVP with the usual questions, and took some readings with the EMF meter. It was becoming a pretty dull investigation. Then around eleven pm, we started getting some activity. It started very subtle with just the slightest of noises. At first it sounded like Maybe Ryan was walking down the hall toward us. I stuck my head out of the door, looked in both directions, and saw no one. We could still hear the foot steps getting closer. Then as suddenly as they had started, they stopped. Emma asked "What was that?" I just shrugged as I had no logical explanation at the present moment. Just as I asked the question "Is there someone here with us now?", there came a loud crash followed by a scream. We searched the whole floor for the source of the crash, and found nothing. There was no need to search for the scream, it was Emma, the noise had startled her. That was the most exciting thing to happen to us on the second floor. We then headed down stairs to meet up with Ryan and Sam.
     We found them settled into the old emergency room. I asked if they had gotten any activity, and they said nothing much. I suggested we moved to the main corridor and ask questions, use our video cameras to film in two different directions, and take readings. Just as I turned to exit the emergency room area, there was an old lady standing there staring at us. She was wearing an old hospital gown, and she looked to be in her seventies. I jumped back about three foot, everyone looked up at see what had made me jump. Emma gasped, Sam was just wide eyed, and Tyler just stood there. Ryan was the only other one to really react. He held up his right hand that had some kind of medallion in it, yelled a strange word at her, and her eyes went black as coal. She let out a horrifying screech and vanished into thin air. I looked at Ryan with my mouth agape, and yelled "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?" He just smiled, gave me a wink, and calmly said "She's the bad spirit, and I just banished her back to her domain. Now let's go to the main corridor shall we."
     We were able to investigate the corridor with just minor incidents. The usual snaps, pops, and foots steps. When we were getting ready to leave around one in the morning, I noticed a door I hadn't seen when we had first arrived. It was a door that led to the basement. I was a little nervous after my run in with the screaming banshee, but the explorer in me wanted to see what was down there. So I consulted with the team to see if anyone else wanted to go with me to the basement. Tyler, Sam, and myself wanted to go see what was down below. Ryan had a very strong objection to doing so, and Emma said she didn't want to go down there if Ryan felt it wasn't safe to go. The three of us went and left the two of them up near the exit of the hospital. We had promised to not be more than five minutes. Once down there, we discovered that it contained the boiler room, maintenance, and the morgue. Upon opening the door to the morgue, we were hit with the odor of candle wax. Shining our lights around we spotted why. In the middle of the morgue, drawn on the floor, was a large pentagram. Black candles sat at each point, and a red one in the center. I turned and told the others that we needed to get out now, and felt something hit me in the back. I looked behind me and saw one of the black candles at my feet. We got out fast, and didn't look back.
     We decided to wait a couple of days to review the evidence and see if we had captured anything. By the time we got back to our house, it was very late, and we were all really tired. Tyler and the girls left immediately, Ryan decided he was going to play his XBox for a while before going to sleep. I was exhausted, and ready to to just collapse. I went straight to my room, stripped down to my boxer briefs, and just dropped onto my bed in the pitch black room. I don't even remember falling asleep that night.
     I was awakened a little before dawn by what I thought was Ryan in my room asking me something. I opened my eyes, and asked him what he had said. I didn't get an answer. I passed it off as possibly dreaming, then rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. About that time I heard whispering again, and it sounded like it was coming from the other side of the bed. It could only be described as someone whispering so lightly as trying their best not to be heard. I turned my lamp on and inspected the room at this point. I looked inside my closet, under the bed, and outside the window. Then I presumed that Ryan was still playing his games. So I went into the livingroom, which was dark, and empty. Ryan was asleep in his room. I just began to think that the whispering was due to the stress of the investigation.
     Three nights went by, and every night between 3-am and 4-am, the whispering voice would start. It would continue until dawn. On the forth night, after we had reviewed all of the evidence from the case at the hospital, I left our voice recorder running on my night stand. The evidence from the hospital only caught the crash, the lady's screech, a few foot steps, and one questionable picture. On this night when I went to bed, I made sure to turn the recorder on, state that I was going to bed, what had been happening, the date, and time. Just like clock work, at 3:10 am, the whispering started. I started asking questions like "Who are you? What do you want? Can you tell me your name?" Then at about 5:30 the whispering stopped. After I got off of work at the auto-body shop, I listened to the EVP. What I had captured frightened me to my soul. 
     It seemed as though the whispering had been going on for about 5 minutes before I woke up and heard it. The words were something in another laguage. "Nos sunt hic ad vos. Trem te sunt." Then once I awaken and begin to ask questions, the responses I got were that his name was David, he was 34 years old, and he was lonely. There were some other things on the recording, but they were mostly inaudible. Later I searched what the other language was online. It turned out to be Latin, and the words turn out to mean; "We are here for you. You are the summoner." I had no idea what that meant, but I knew it could not be good. 

     


© 2016 Jenny Leigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Jenny, I posted my review as a comment on your profile because, for some odd reason, it wouldn't let me post the entire thing on here. I tried twice and it would only post the first few words.
Sorry about that! Take care ^_^

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jenny Leigh

7 Years Ago

Got it, and commented back. Thank you.
I'm enjoying the mounting tension. I'm interested... why did you decide to write in the first person from a male perspective. Do you find it challenging?

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jenny Leigh

7 Years Ago

Yes and no. I have a son and a husband...lol. Plus I grew up with a lot of male friends.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
4 Reviews
Added on September 6, 2016
Last Updated on September 16, 2016


Author

Jenny Leigh
Jenny Leigh

AL



About
I love to write a variety of genres. Especially within the horror/thriller line. more..

Writing
Mother Dear Mother Dear

A Chapter by Jenny Leigh


Best Friend Best Friend

A Chapter by Jenny Leigh