Smudging After a Cemetery

Smudging After a Cemetery

A Chapter by Jenny Leigh
"

The whispers have ceased for now. Then after a cemetery investigation, Draven notices something strange going on with one of his team mates.

"
     After the EVP, I consulted a friend of mine. He was a priest I used quite often when I needed someone with an expertise in the demonic. He listened to it and said that he thought that I had brought something back home with me from the hospital. I asked what I needed to do, and he said a house blessing. When I told Ryan that a priest was coming to bless the house and why, he passed it off as I was just being extremely paranoid. He then stated that he was going out for the evening. That was fine with me, he'd been acting weird ever since we had investigated the hospital.
     Around five in the afternoon, the priest arrived to perform the blessing. He went through the entire house- with the exception of one room. Ryan had apparently locked his bedroom door before leaving, and only he had a key. We had agreed to have our own bedroom locks and keys when we moved in together. I found this to be odd, because we'd had the house blessed at least twice in the four years we had been living there. In both of the other blessings, he hadn't ever locked his door, or left the house. Then as the blessing was completed, the priest wished me well and departed. I decided that since the house felt calm now, I would relax with a game of Call of Duty. I mean nothing like video game sniping to relax your paranoia. I felt calm for the first time in little more than a week, and could fully relax.
     The Saturday after the blessing, the team met at the house to prepare for a "fun" investigation of a cemetery. This particular cemetery was rumored to have head stones in which the names would change, or the stones would move. Sam suggested this investigation because she thought it would be interesting if the phenomena actually happened. So we got everything ready, and headed out to do our usual routine. When we arrived to get food, however; Ryan said he wasn't hungry. I asked if he wanted anything at all, a drink, some fries, even a salad...which made me giggle. To picture Ryan eating a salad is like picturing T-Rex himself eating one. He didn't look at me, "I said I'm not hungry.", he snapped. He had been having these mood swings lately.
     We arrived right at sunset, performed our equipment checks, got our flashlights ready, and made our game plan. Since we were just in a cemetery in a small town, we decided not to use the walkie-talkies. Tyler and Ryan went to one side of the cemetery, while Sam, Emma, and myself went to the other. As we were walking across the cemetery, I was making casual conversation with the girls. I was trying to think of a way to ask Emma if Ryan had been acting strange without sounding like an a*****e. Just as I had worked my courage up and opened my mouth to ask her, Sam cut me off. She blurted out "So what the hell has been up Ryan's a*s lately? I mean has he got his period or something?" Emma just shrugged. I looked at the ground and then asked "Is he doing more hard core drugs than just weed?" "NO!" she snapped. I stopped walking. Sam and Emma stopped and looked at me. I looked at Emma and asked "Do you know why he's been acting so secretive, and so unlike himself this past week?" "No. He acts like he always has when we are together. I have no idea what you both are talking about." she said, with anger growing in her voice. I apologized for the interrogative behavior, and told her I was just concerned. She accepted my apology, and we continued to our side of the cemetery.
     We performed our usual questions, took some pictures, and took some video. We started hearing leaves shuffling around us, even though there wasn't any wind blowing. We were sitting in front of a stone that read, Mary Thompson May 20, 1912 - Feb. 14, 1999. I remember I kept thinking how odd to die on the day known for love. It's like when I see people who die on Christmas, or their birthday, I think of how sad it must be for the family of that person. Now they have to look at these gifts to the person that is no longer there. Then suddenly Tyler was running up behind us; "Draven, Draven I can't find Ryan. We stopped by a tree, I looked down to turn the camera on and start filming. When I looked up, he was gone." I was still trying to wrap my head around what he was saying. "What do you mean he was gone?" I asked, confused. "Just what I said. I looked down and when I looked up...no Ryan." he repeated. We all dropped what we were currently doing and took off to try and find Ryan.
     The whole way I questioned Tyler asking if he had looked for Ryan. He stated he had to no avail. I claimed Ryan was probably just playing a big practical joke on all of us. I was trying to put everyone's fears, including my own, at ease. When we got back to the old oak tree where Tyler said they had stopped, I looked for signs that Ryan had maybe climbed the tree. There were none. No limbs were low enough for him to have grabbed onto. There was, however; a strange symbol carved into the tree. Under the strange looking number four with a connecting cross, and what could only be described as the female symbol with antenna, was an arrow pointing in the direction of the rear of the cemetery. I started to follow the direction of the arrow when Ryan emerged from the shadows of the tree lined edge of the cemetery. I questioned him extensively on what the hell he had been doing and why he had just left Tyler the way he had. He just gave me his usual cunning smile, and answered "Had to take a piss man." I could tell something was off though, he looked different. I couldn't put my finger on it, but he was definitely different.
     That night after we got back home, I decided that since Ryan had acted so strange we would do a smudging of ourselves and the house. This would cleanse anything that possibly followed us home away before it could cause any damage. I lit the sage bundle, ran it over Sam, Emma, Tyler, and started toward Ryan. He grabbed my hand and said "Nah man. Not me. I discovered I'm allergic to that s**t. So keep it out of my room to, kay?" "When did you dis___", I just let it drop and said, "OK. It's your room." I Got Sam to smudge me, then we went through the house-except Ryan's room. 
     Later I was getting ready for bed and heard Ryan talking to someone. He was speaking loud enough I could hear him through my bedroom wall. I went to his door, knocked and asked if he was alright. He didn't answer, so I leaned my ear against the door to listen to what he was saying. I couldn't make out anything but mumbles. Next thing I knew there was a loud blunder up against the door, followed by him yelling "I know you're standing there Draven. Be careful what you eavesdrop on." Then he yanked the door open, I could smell candles immediately, but saw none. He then leaned in close to my right ear and whispered "You might not like what you hear when you listen to closely." Then he slammed the door in my face, and locked it. I was both pissed off, and hurt. So instead of acting on impulse and busting down his door, kicking his a*s, and reminding him of who had been there for him over the past ten years; I just went to bed.  
      


© 2016 Jenny Leigh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm enjoying it very much. There's one line you wrote that gave me pause: "I remember I kept thinking how odd to die on the day known for love. It's like when I see people who die on Christmas, or their birthday, I think of how sad it must be for the family of that person." It reminded me of an anchorman I worked with in Illinois. After a management change he was miserable at work. He had been at the station for his entire professional life and wasn't interested in moving on to someplace else. He wanted to suck it up and stick it out, hoping things would get better. They didn't. I moved on to Pennsylvania. He decided to retire at last. A few weeks after I started my new job in Pennsylvania I got a call from the woman who ran the assignment desk at the station. Just a short time after my friend retired there was a snow storm. The next day he went out to shovel the snow. And died of a massive heart attack. There is something just so sad about a life ending that way. Makes you think....... Again, good work, Jenny.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jenny Leigh

7 Years Ago

Many thanks Stanley. I have very much been enjoying you work as well.
Okay, so I've decided to split my review into constructive criticism and praise (since you deserve it):

I have a question. When you wrote this sentence: " I remembered it because she died on Valentine's Day"
Are you implying that Draven is narrating this story in the present? I didn't realize he was telling the story. If that's not your intention, I suggest you re-word that a bit.

"Now they have to look at these gifts to the person that will..."
I'm probably just dumb, but that was weirdly worded. What did you mean to say?

Another suggestion would be to explain HOW exactly Ryan is acting strange. From the previous chapters, I sort of know how Ryan usually talks and acts, but you didn't describe much of his actions throughout this chapter except for the fact that he was "strange." But, how so? Did he start eating healthy? Started smoking twice as much? Get what I mean? Maybe describe some things in the beginning so that we can also starts thinking "Huh... Ryan IS acting strange." I'd rather see it for myself that just take Draven's word for it, you know?

One final suggestion (and then I promise I'll stop being annoying):
Maybe space out your chapter a bit? Unless you're intentionally grouping them up like that for a reason. If that's the case, then ignore my pesky complaint!

"...rumored to have head stones in which the names would change"
Uh, even I would be interested in investigating that, and I'm not very keen on 'ghost hunts' haha. That sounds awesome!

Overall, this chapter was very well-written (like usual). That last paragraph honestly creeped me out a bit, especially "Next thing I knew there was a loud blunder up against the door, followed by him yelling ..." That was honestly creepy and Ryan is definitely acting sketchy as hell. If I were Draven, I would've totally slept over at Tyler's house. No way in hell am I staying in the same house as the Ghost Whisperer. Nu-uh.

But again, great chapter! I hope the creepiness continues.

Well Jenny, it's about that time. I think I've rambled long enough now. Keep those chapters coming! I'm thoroughly enjoying this story and the characters. Take care, my dear!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jenny Leigh

7 Years Ago

No once I read over it, I realized it could use a little more explanation. and as to why Sam might h.. read more
Poopewpachoo

7 Years Ago

I just read it again.

That's so much better. Not only did we get to see how strangely.. read more
Jenny Leigh

7 Years Ago

Thank you. Thank you. Gonna send you a message explaining something to you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 9, 2016
Last Updated on September 16, 2016


Author

Jenny Leigh
Jenny Leigh

AL



About
I love to write a variety of genres. Especially within the horror/thriller line. more..

Writing
Mother Dear Mother Dear

A Chapter by Jenny Leigh


Best Friend Best Friend

A Chapter by Jenny Leigh