Street Christians

Street Christians

A Story by Kimberly Adams
"

Hazel was once a former drug user. Walter belonged to a gang. Now, they have turned their lives around and are now living their life for God while living on the streets.

"

Chapter 1

 

            Walter and I took our trays of bacon, eggs, and milk and headed over to a table where a mom was sitting with her two little girls.

            “Should I pray or do you want to?” I asked Walter.

            “Go ahead, Hazel,” Walter said.

            Walter and I folded our hands, bowed our heads, and closed our eyes.

            “Lord, I thank You for the breakfast You have provided. I pray that all who are hungry right now will be blessed with food. Lord, I ask that You will be with Walter and me during this meal and help us share Your love with others. I also pray that You will be with us later today as we hit the streets to do Your work. Amen.”

            “Amen,” Walter repeated and then dug into his breakfast.

            “I hope you don’t mind me asking,” the mom beside us said, “but I saw you praying. How can you not be angry at God? You are homeless, aren’t you?”

            “That’s right!” Walter said excitedly. We try to have a conversation like this at every meal. God worked very quickly today. “We call ourselves Street Christians!”

            “So you are like missionaries for the homeless?” the mom asked.

            “That’s what we are,” I said. “Walter and I believe that God has brought us to the streets to share His Word and to do His work.”

            “Hazel works with drug addicts and I work with gangs,” Walter continued.

            “I still don’t see how you aren’t angry at God,” the mom insisted.

            “Hazel and I were sinners, just like everyone else,” Walter said. “Hazel was a drug addict and I was a member of a gang. We actually met in the hospital. While we were there, we met a Christian who told us how Jesus died to forgive our sins. We completely changed our lifestyles around. We dropped the illegal activities and turned to Christ. Now, we are His servants doing His work on the streets.”

            “And you aren’t mad at God because you live on the streets?” the mom asked.

            “This is where God wants us,” I said.

            “I use to go to church. But then, my husband left me and I ended up on the streets with my two daughters.”

            “For I know the plans for you; plans to prosper you, plans to give you a hope and a future,” Walter recited.

            “I know that verse. I used to find it inspirational.”

            “It still is true. God knows what He is doing in your life. Do not deny Him the opportunity to work.”

            “We will be praying for you,” I promised. I took out the small notebook I use to keep track of all I need to pray for and quickly made myself a note.

            “Thanks, guys. I guess I will be praying for you too. I will pray that you will be successful in your work for God on the streets.”

            “Thank you,” I said. “And feel free to join our worship service. It is held in the park on 41st Street at eight thirty every evening.”

            “I guess it won’t hurt to check it out.”

            “Ok, we’ll see you there.”

            “It was nice talking to you. Sorry, but we need to leave now. We have work to do.”

            Walter and I emptied our trays and then headed over to the front desk.

            “Any messages for us?” I asked Zoey.

            “Well, I have a request from the treatment center that you come meet with a new patient that came in just this morning. I also have a request from the police department that you meet with the Hawks.”

            “We’ll do that,” I said. “Thanks for letting us know.”

            “Should we pray before we leave?” Walter asked.

            “Go ahead.”

            “Lord,” Walter prayed, “Hazel and I are about to embark on another one of Your missions. I pray that You go before us. Give us the words and strength so that we can bring more Christians to You. In Your Name we pray, Amen.”

            “Amen,” I repeated.

            “I will see you at dinnertime,” Walter said before he headed out to the street.

 

Chapter 2

 

            As I walked the short distance to Good Christian Hospital, I thought about how God had been able to use Walter and me in the last two years.

            Two years ago, I had a major drug addiction. I had been expelled from my high school for dealing drugs and my parents finally kicked me out of the house because they didn’t want to deal with my problems. Shortly after I had made the streets my home, I was taken to the Good Christian Hospital for overdosing. That’s where I met Walter.

            Walter had also been expelled from high school as well as kicked out of his house. Walter belonged to a gang and ended up in the hospital after being seriously hurt in a gang fight.

            While we were in the hospital, a Christian about our age came to visit. She talked about how everyone messes up in life. Everyone’s a sinner. She told us God sent His Son Jesus to die for our sins. All we had to do to get this forgiveness was to believe and to surrender our lives to Christ. Walter and I spent a lot of time thinking about this. We had both nearly lost our lives due to our illegal and dangerous activities. We wondered why God would choose to save us.

            We both became Christians the same day. We were baptized shortly after being released from the hospital and then we started our crusade to tell everyone on the streets about Jesus.

            I partnered up with the Good Christian Hospital. I mostly work with drug addicts but I occasionally talk to other patients at the hospital.

            Walter works with gangs. Most of the time, he has to go into a gang’s territory, which can be very dangerous. Sometimes he will go into hospitals and prisons to talk to gang members.

            The hospital and prison are able to get in contact with us by leaving messages at the homeless shelter. Walter and I don’t spend a lot there but it is the only way for us to have contact with people.

            We usually try to eat one or two meals a day at the shelter. While we are eating, we make it our mission to talk about God to at least one person.

            Also, we have a nightly worship service in the park. It lasts about half an hour. We sing and sometimes will speak.

            Walter and I know that we were saved so that we can live our lives for God. And right now, God has plans for us that include the street.

 

Chapter 3

 

            As soon as I arrived at the hospital, I checked in at the desk of the drug and alcohol treatment ward.

            “You are going to be working with Leigh,” the nurse said as she led me down the hall. “Leigh just came in this morning. I don’t think she is here voluntarily.”

            “So has Leigh began withdrawing from her drugs?” I asked.

            “Not yet. We think she probably took the drugs a couple of hours ago and her parents walked in and saw her. She was taken right here. She isn’t saying much but we expect she will begin needing her next fix in a few hours.”

            When a patient is detoxing, there isn’t much I can do. I usually stop by and pray for the patient. Then, after their body is clean of the substance, I come in to talk.

            Once we arrived at Leigh’s room, the nurse knocked on the door and entered. I followed right behind.

            “Leigh,” she said to the teenage girl sitting in a chair, “this is Hazel. She volunteers at the hospital. You will be seeing a lot of her.” The nurse left and I took a seat on the couch.

            “So how’s it going, Leigh?” I asked.

            “Like you care,” Leigh said sarcastically. “I am in a drug treatment center and about to detox. I am doing fine!”

            “Things will eventually get better,” I said reassuringly.

            “Like you know anything about what I am going through!”

            “Actually, I do. My room was three doors down from here.”

            “Like I am supposed to believe that after I get done here my life will be better. I mean, look at you! You look like you live on the street.”

            “Leigh, I was a drug addict. It got so bad that I ended up getting expelled from school and living on the street. I eventually ended up overdosing and getting sent here. While I was here, I was introduced to Christ. Once I left here, I took to the streets, working with drug addicts and telling people about Christ.”

            “So all I am is a project to you?” Leigh asked scornfully. “All you care about is my soul?”

            “Of course I care about your soul. I have given my life to Christ and because of that, I know I will go to Heaven when I die. I want the same thing for you. But you are more than just a project to me. I know what you are going through. I know that life is going to get very difficult. I want to help you.”  

            “I know you Christian people. You think you are better than everyone else.”

            “Leigh, I just told you that I am a former drug addict. I am far from perfect. God sent His Son Jesus to die for all sins. I accepted this forgiveness. Now, all the mistakes I have made are completely erased.”

            “Except for you are still living with the consequences. You are homeless. Are you sure God really cares about you?”

            “God has plans for me. He wants me on the streets. I am doing work for Him.”

            “You are very convincing. Why would I want to follow a religion where I might end up homeless?”

            “God works in various ways. Not all Christians are homeless.”

            “Look, Hazel, I appreciate your concern for my soul but I am just not interested.”

            “I am not going to give up though. Your soul is too important to me.”

            “Then you are going to be disappointed.”

            “I will be praying for you, Leigh. I will come visit while you are detoxing but we will have another chance to talk once you are feeling better.”

            “Joy,” Leigh said sarcastically.

            I left the room but stopped right outside the door. Leigh had her back to me and didn’t know I was there.

            “Lord,” I prayed quietly, “Leigh has a difficult road ahead of her. I pray that You will be with her as she goes through the detox process. And afterwards, open her heart so that she will be accepting to what I have to say. I want her to surrender her life to You. Thanks, Lord. Amen.”

            Once I finished praying, I checked in on a couple of other patients that I have been working with. None of them are Christians but I never give up a chance to talk to them about Jesus.

 

 

Chapter 4

 

            While I was at the hospital, Walter was heading down dangerous streets to meet with some gang members.

            Walter was nervous like he always is when he is meeting with a gang. He said a quick prayer and then approached a couple of people.

            “Do you have a minute to talk?” Walter asked.

            “Yeah, right,” one of them scoffed. “You probably just want to arrest us.”

            With that said, all of them took off running except one.

            “I want to talk,” he said. “But maybe we should go somewhere else.”

            “Good idea,” Walter said.

            They walked a couple blocks to a café.

            “Why did you not run away?” Walter asked once they were seated.

            “Because I want out of the gang and somehow, I feel like you are the answer to my prayers.”

            “Are you a Christian?”

            “No, but it is something I am considering.”

            “Well, you are in luck. My name is Walter and I am a Street Christian. I live on the streets, primarily going to gangs, telling them about Jesus.”

            “I am Victor. Do you think you can help me out of my gang?”
            “I will not be able to help you. But God can. He is the one that helped me out of my gang.”
            “If God can get me out alive, than I will live my life for Him.”

            “Let’s pray about this for awhile. Then, we will see what God wants us to do.”
            “Thanks, Walter. I am really glad I met you.”

            “It was God that led me to you. I imagine you are the one that contacted the police?”

            “Yes, I told them I wanted out. They said they would do the best they could and in the meantime, they would try to send someone to me.”
            “If you need to get a hold of me, you can leave messages for me at the shelter. Before I go, let’s pray.”
            “Ok.”

            “Lord, I thank You for Victor’s decision to leave his gang and ask that You help make it possible. Amen.”

 

Chapter 5

 

            That night, we had about ten people for worship, including the mom from this morning. The numbers vary every night based on who feels led to come and the weather.

            “Welcome to worship,” Walter began as he addressed the crowd. “Let us being with prayer.”

            “Lord,” I prayed, “I thank You for the group that has come tonight to worship you. I pray that You will open their hearts to what is going to be said tonight and help them apply it to their lives. Amen.”

            “Let us continue with song,” Walter said.

            We don’t have any music of any kind. We can’t afford musical instruments or recordings.

            “Be though my vision,” I sang loudly. Walter and one other person in the crowd joined in. We have no way to give people the lyrics so every night, music is more like a duet for Walter and me unless anyone else knows the songs.

            As soon as we finished, everyone in the crowd applauded but it wasn’t necessary. We were singing for God.

            “I want to thank you all for coming,” I said. “Walter and I have worship here every night at the same time. You can also find us roaming the streets during the day, doing God’s work. It is our mission to tell as many people as we can about Jesus. At any point, you have any questions or want to talk, you can leave messages at the shelter and we will get them.”

            “Tonight, we want to talk a little about hope,” Walter continued. “Most of us probably live on the streets. It is hard to have hope. It is hard to put trust in God when we are here on the cold streets with not much prospect of a better future.

            “Hope is often born out of adversity. ‘We rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character, and character, hope.’ This is from Romans 5:2b-4. How many of you think you are suffering right now?”

            Several people in the crowd raised their hands.

            “Hope is born out of suffering but it also requires waiting. Isaiah 40:31 says, ‘Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.’ And Romans 8:24 says, ‘For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.’

            “Some of you might have hope for a house, job, or other life necessities. But there is one hope we must all have. That is a hope in God and hope in Heaven. Hope will sustain us through adversity. As it says in 2 Corinthians 4:16-18, ‘Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.’ Hope does not disappoint like it says in Romans 5:5. ‘Hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.’

            “Sure, we live the streets, but we can still put all our hope in God. Someday, we won’t call this place our home. Instead, we will be able to spend eternity in Heaven with God. If you are ready to put your hope in God, I invite you to come forward.”

            Nobody came forward so I sang another song.

            “Lord,” I prayed at the end, “everyone here needs hope. Everyone here has needs that aren’t being met. Give us hope for our futures here on Earth as well as for our afterlife. Give us hope in You. Amen.”

            “Amen,” everyone repeated.

            “Have a good night,” Walter and I called together before we headed off to the area of the park where we normally sleep.

 

Chapter 6

 

            The next morning, I went back to the hospital. I didn’t enter Leigh’s room though because she was going through detox. I stood outside her room and prayed for her however.

            “Lord, I ask that You be with Leigh right now. Give her the strength to get through this. Show her love and mercy. Help her give up this powerful addiction. Amen.”

            After I finished praying, I headed down the hall to Sarah’s room.

            “How’s it going, Sarah?” I asked outside her room.

            “Hi, Hazel! Come on in!”

            Sarah has been here for several weeks. She is very serious about getting off the drugs but she doesn’t really have an interest in God.

            “How’s it going?” I asked again as I took a seat.

            “Oh, I can’t complain. How about you? Who are you trying to convert today?”

            “Well, I had stopped by to pray for Leigh. She is detoxing though so I didn’t actually talk to her. But now I am going to work on converting you.”

            “How many times do I have to tell you that you are wasting your time?”

            “Sarah, how many times did you almost lose your life before you came here?”

            “I overdosed three times. But so what? I am still alive.”

            “Where do you think you would be if you had died?”

            “Hazel, I know you are trying to tell me that I wouldn’t be in Heaven. I already know that. I mean, I am a drug addict. God isn’t going to let me through the gates.”

            “But Jesus died for all sins! Anybody can go to Heaven if they just accept the forgiveness! Murderers, drug addicts, and gang members can all go to Heaven!”

            “But I don’t deserve it, Hazel.”

            “None of us deserve it. In God’s eyes, all sins are equal. So even though you are a drug addict, you are still the same as a person who cheats on a test.”

            “Why aren’t you giving up on me? What do I mean to you?”

            “Your soul is important to me, Sarah. I used to be in your shoes. But a Christian didn’t give up on me and now I know that someday I will spend eternity in Heaven. I want the same for you. You know what the alternative is, don’t you?”

            “Are you going to stop coming if I become a Christian, Hazel?”

            So that was it. She didn’t want to be left alone.

            “I am not going to abandon you, Sarah. We are both former drug addicts. We know what each other is going through. We can encourage each other.”

            “Do you think God has plans for me?”

            “Why else would He save you three times?”

            “Is that why He saved you?”

            “Probably. But it took me nearly dying in order to find God.”

            “God works in unusual ways.”

            “That’s true. But He is God. Who are we to question His motives?”

            “I guess you are right, Hazel. Would you give me a day to think about all this?”

            “Absolutely. I will come back tomorrow and we can talk. Before I go, let’s pray.”

            “Ok.”

            “Lord, I pray for Sarah and ask that You would work on her heart so that she will be able to accept Your love and Your forgiveness. Use her to do Your work. Give her the strength to avoid temptations. Amen.”

            “Amen,” Sarah repeated.

            “I will see you tomorrow, Sarah.”

            “Thanks for everything, Hazel.”

 

Chapter 7

 

            “I’m going to the Christian Church on 39th Street for a few hours,” Walter said when I met him at the shelter for dinner. “Remember that gang member I was talking to? Well, I am going to see if I can get someone at the church to take him under their wing. Would you like to come with me?”

            “Absolutely.”

            We left the shelter without dinner (we would hopefully find a bite to eat outside a restaurant later) and walked the few blocks to the church.

            Outside the church, a guy was waiting.

            “Hi, Victor,” Walter said.

            “Hi, Walter,” Victor replied.

            “Victor, I would like you to meet my friend, Hazel. We became Christians together.”

            “It’s nice to see you changing your life around, Victor,” I said as I shook his hand.

            “Well, should we go inside?” Walter asked. “Pastor John will be waiting for us.”

            Walter led the way into the church and to the office.

            “Come on in, Walter,” Pastor John said when he saw us. “It looks like you brought some friends.”

            Walter introduced Victor and me.

            “So I hear you are trying to get away from your gang,” Pastor John said to Victor.

            “Yes, sir. I have been considering it for quite awhile but it hasn’t been an easy decision. A person can get killed for leaving a gang.”

            “So did Walter tell you about Christ? Are you a Christian? Where does God play into your life?”

            “Well, Walter told me about Jesus dying for my sins. I know I am guilty of plenty. I am just having trouble accepting that forgiveness. But Walter said he wasn’t going to give up on me. He said he wanted to help me get away from my gang and to help me find God. Of course, I need to find some way to get away from my gang.”

            “With God, all things are possible,” Pastor John said.

            “That’s the same thing Walter said.”

            “And it is absolutely true. Victor. I believe you are sincere about getting away from your gang and finding God. That is why I am going to make you my assistant. You can stay with me and my family. You will come to work with me here at the church.”

            “Why are you doing this, Pastor John?” Victor asked in amazement. “You don’t even know me. I also don’t deserve it.”

            “None of us deserve God’s forgiveness. God loves us though and gave it to us anyway. God has blessed me so much. I believe that by helping you, I can give back. Plus, your soul seems like a good investment.”

            “I can’t thank you enough, Pastor John.”

            “Don’t thank me. Thank Walter. If he didn’t go out to gangs, you might never have gotten out.”

            “At least not alive,” Victor agreed.

            “And even if you had gotten out alive, who knows if you would have found a Christian friend. God is already working in your life.”

            “Why would God want to work in me?” Victor asked.

            “Haven’t you heard Hazel’s and Walter’s stories? God is working wonders through them.”

            “I can see there is a lot I need to learn about God.”

            “And you will have a great teacher,” Walter said.

            “Promise you will come back and visit, Walter,” Victor begged.

            “Of course I will. I want to know how God is working in your life.”

            “And I will be praying for both you and Hazel. There are a lot more drug addicts and gang members out there that need your help.”

            “Thanks, Victor. We will see you later. Good luck.”

            We headed out of the church to go to the park for worship.

            “It looks like we might have another success story,” Walter said.

            “It is too early to tell if we have been successful. Only God will know. But I understand what you are talking about. He seems close to making a decision.”

 

Chapter 8

 

            “So how are you doing, Sarah?” I asked cheerfully the next morning. I had just prayed for Leigh and now was ready for a talk with Sarah.

            Sarah responded with a big smile.

            “So what finally convinced you?” I asked as I gave her a hug.

            “I have messed up my life pretty badly,” Sarah said. Tears started streaming down her face. “I know you were just like me though. God forgave you and you had the opportunity to start your life over. I decided that I was ready for my past to be forgiven. I am now ready to start my life over with God. I don’t know what He has planned for me. The only thing I am hoping is that God’s plans don’t include living on the street, like you do.”

            “I don’t know how many times I have to tell people that not all Christians are homeless! Walter and I are homeless because the streets are where we are doing God’s work. Walter and I are actually happy on the streets. We find it easier to relate with people we are sharing God’s Word with. If we were offered a house today, we would probably turn it down.”

            “So what are some of the other addicts you have worked with doing?”

            “Well, not everyone I have worked with here has been successful. I have had patients that I have seen more than once because they relapse. And some that do give up the drugs aren’t always Christians when they leave here. I do have some success stories. One person left here and started here own Christian support group for addicts. Another is now touring schools, talking to students about her struggle with addictions and how God came into her life. Finally, one is actually going to be a pastor.”

            “Wow, there are so many options of what God can do through a person that doesn’t include the streets!”

            “There are a lot of mission fields out there. God will tell you where He wants you. Your job will then be to go make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

            “Hazel, I know you aren’t a pastor, but you are a servant of God. Could you possibly baptize me though? I am ready to have my sins washed away. Baptism seems like it should be the ultimate decision when someone is making the decision to surrender their life to Christ. I would like you to do it because you were the greatest influence on me.”

            Tears sprang to my eyes. Nothing makes me happier than baptism.

            “Of course I can baptize you,” I said. “It doesn’t have to be a pastor.”

            “I really don’t want to wait. Can we do this right away?”

            “I have an idea. Let’s pray really quickly and then I’ll check into it.”

            “Ok.”

            “Lord,” I prayed, “I thank You for Sarah and the decision she has made to surrender her life to You. I pray that You give Sarah the strength not to give into the temptation of drugs. I pray that You will reveal Your plans for her so that she can live her life for You. Amen.”

            “Amen,” Sarah repeated.

            “I will be right back, Sarah. I need to check on something.”

            “Hurry back.”

            I rushed out of the hospital and went to the hotel next door.

            “How may I help you?” the person at the desk asked when she saw me.

            I told her about Sarah being an addict and then accepting Christ into her life and wanting her sins forgiven. “I was wondering if we could use your pool so that she can be baptized. It won’t take very long.”

            “So baptism really is the washing away of sins?” the desk worker asked curiously.

            “Symbolically. A person is baptized after they surrender their life to Christ.”

            “I will let you use the pool under one condition.”

            “What’s that?” I had nothing to give this girl.

            “I want to be baptized.”       

            “Seriously?”

            “I am serious. I may not be a drug addict but I have messed up a lot. I am ready to have Jesus forgive my sins. I am ready for a relationship with Christ.”

            “I can do that,” I said with a huge smile. “Change into a pair of shorts and t-shirt and I will be right back.”

            As soon as I got back to the hospital, I got Sarah permission to leave and then we headed to the hotel. We met the desk worker at the pool.

            “Girls,” I said, “I have one question for you. Do you accept the forgiveness given to you through the death of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord?”

            “We do,” they answered.

            One at a time, I immersed them completely under water. As they emerged, I was given a big, wet hug. I didn’t care though. I was as happy as them.

 

Chapter 9

 

            Going into a prison to speak did not frighten Walter as much as visiting a gang. In fact, he was pretty excited as he stood in front of the small room of prisoners.

            “So far, you have done a pretty good job of messing up your life,” he began. “But thankfully, it is not too late for you.”

            “I am pretty sure it is,” a guy called out. “I killed a man. Nothing I do will ever bring him back.”

            “We cannot undo the past,” Walter agreed. “But we can affect the future. And today, I am here to encourage you to bring Jesus into your life.”

            “I am pretty sure God has given up on all of us,” another guy said. “We have all committed horrible sins.”

            “If you truly believed that, none of you would have come to hear me speak. I think all of you are curious about God. I think all of you have some big questions to ask.”

            “Are you saying it is not too late for any of us?” someone else called out.

            “Everyone on this earth is a sinner. All sins are equal to God. That is why He sent His Son, Jesus, to die for all sins. All you have to do is accept this forgiveness and live your life for Jesus. And one day, you will get to spend eternity in Heaven.”

            “Are you saying that God is able to forgive murder?”

            “All things are possible with God. He is able to forgive all sins, even though none of us deserve it.”

            “Why would God want me?”

            “I asked myself the same question,” Walter said. “I once belonged to a gang. Now, I live on the streets and go around to prisons and gangs, telling people about Jesus. God works in mysterious ways.”

            “I really need God’s forgiveness,” someone said.

            “Me too.”

            “Count me in.”

            “If you are ready to accept this forgiveness,” Walter said, “than pray to God. Tell Him you are a sinner and really sorry for everything you have done. Tell Him you are ready to live your life for Him.”

            Almost everyone in the room, including some of the guards, had bowed their heads and were praying.

            “God will reveal His plans to you in time,” Walter said when everyone had finished. “I will be praying for you as you begin your new lives in Christ.”

 

Chapter 10

 

            Several days later, Leigh was doing better so rather than just praying outside her door, I actually went in.

            “How are you doing?” I asked.

            “How do you think I am doing?” Leigh asked irritably. “You were supposedly a drug addict. You should know what I just went through.”

            “The drug is out of your system at least. And now, you will be able to move forward with life.”

            “I suppose you think my life should include God? I suppose you want me to join you on the streets so that we can tell people about Jesus?”

            “Leigh, I am not saying that you need to be homeless. But you should think about surrendering your life to Christ. Your soul depends on it.”

            “And why should I do that? What has God ever done for me?”

            “God helped you through detox. God has given you the opportunity to get help. And that is just the beginning. God has provided you with so much. And He also gave you the ultimate gift. God sent His Son to die for all your sins. All you have to do is accept this forgiveness and you will be able to spend eternity with Him in Heaven.”

            “I really am just a project to you, aren’t I?”

            “Leigh, I really do care about your soul but I also really care about you. Your addiction will be so much easier to deal with if you have God at your side.”

            “And I suppose that is why you have never gone back to the drugs?”

            “Leigh, I have been tempted several times. It hasn’t been easy. I pray to God every night for strength not to give in to drugs. I have also had to pray for strength several other times because I was tempted.”

            “Hazel, I don’t know about you, but I am not here voluntarily. The only reason I am here is because my parents found out that I was doing drugs. I do not want to give up the habit. I don’t need help fighting this.”

            “Don’t you realize that drugs will eventually kill you? And don’t you realize where you are going unless you accept Jesus as your Savior?”

            “I am not like you, Hazel. I am not going to overdose. I am smarter than that.”

            “I didn’t overdose one purpose, Leigh. And several of the other addicts I talked to said it was an accident. They realize that God saved them from dying and gave them the help they needed for their drug problem.”

            “I guess if I do ‘accidently’ overdoes,” Leigh said as she used her fingers to make quotes, “then God will save me too.”

            “But-“ I protested

            “This conversation is over, Hazel,” Leigh said firmly, interrupting me. “Please leave my room and never come back.”

            I couldn’t do anything. I had to listen to Leigh or she would call security and I would be thrown out and unable to ever return.

            “Lord,” I prayed outside Leigh’s room, “please help Leigh see the seriousness of her actions. Help her not to give into the temptation of drugs. Help her see a need for a relationship with You. Amen.”

 

Chapter 11

 

            Walter could not get over the feeling that someone was following him. He turned around; trying to catch the person in the act, but no one was there.

            Walter continued walking, silently praying that God would protect him and to ease his anxiety.

            “Well, well, well,” a voice said behind him, “if it is not Walter, the Street Christian.”

            Walter turned around and found a couple members of the Hawks.

            “Can I help you guys?” Walter asked nervously.

            “Perhaps you can tell us where Victor is.”

            “I am sorry, guys. I do not know where he is.”

            “We think you do. We know he talked to you recently. Now, if you do not tell us where he is, you are going to regret it.”

            “Victor is ready to put his gang life behind him and to live his life for God. Victor will one day spend eternity in Heaven because of his decision to have Jesus in his life. You guys can have the same.”

            “Victor is not going to Heaven. He has committed to many crimes.”

            “It looks like God is not going to save you either.”

            Walter began running but it was too late. The gang members had caught him.

 

Chapter 12

 

            I looked around the shelter again. It was way past the time that Walter and I meet for dinner. Where was he? I knew I was panicking for nothing. Walter probably got held up and would be here soon. Still, it isn’t like him to be late.

            Suddenly, Zoey came running up to me.

            “Have you seen Walter?” I asked her.

            “Oh, Hazel, the Mercy Hospital just called! Walter has been hurt!”

            “How bad is it?”

            “I don’t know. They just wanted you to know.”

            “Thanks, Zoey! I will go there right now.”

            Walter couldn’t be that badly hurt. God wouldn’t let anything happen to him. God had big plans for us.

            “I’m sorry, but he is in no condition for any visitors,” the nurse said when I arrived at the hospital.

            “What’s wrong with him? What happened?”

            “I’m sorry, but I can’t give you that information.”

            “I’m the closest thing he has got to family!”

            “And what might your relationship be to him?”

            “It’s complicated,” I said.

            “I’m sorry, but I still can’t tell you.”

            “Would you let me see him for a minute? I am the only person that cares about Walter.”

            I knew the nurse thought I was crazy. I am the kind of riff-raff that they try to keep out of the hospital. I knew I had better be careful or she would call security.

            Suddenly, a doctor came out of a room and heard me.

            “Are you Hazel?” the doctor asked.

            “Yes.” I didn’t know how he knew my name.

            “Walter has been asking for you.”

            “Can I please go see him?” I begged.

            “Five minutes,” the doctor said as I rushed into the room he had just left.

            “Hazel?” Walter asked as I entered the room.

            “Walter!” I cried. Walter looked horrible. His face was badly bruised and one eye was swollen shut. One arm was wrapped up and I could see through the blankets that his leg was in a cast. He looked horrible. “What happened?”

            “It was Victor’s gang. They were angry that he had left. They were planning on killing Victor but since they couldn’t find him, they decided to harm me since I was the one that helped him escape.”

            “Maybe our job just isn't worth it,” I said.

            Walter looked stunned. “Why would you say that, Hazel?”

            I told him about my problems with Leigh. “And now this, Walter! We aren’t very successful here.”

            “Hazel, lose the doubt. We are being successful. You got that girl Sarah to give her life to God. I got Victor to do the same. It also isn’t too late for Leigh.”

            “But still, is it really wroth it, at least for you?”

            “I knew when I started working with gangs that it was going to be dangerous. This isn’t going to stop me.”

            “You have had ten minutes,” the doctor said as he stuck his head into the room. “It is time for you to leave.”

            “Don’t doubt what God has been doing,” Walter said as I stood up. “I will be praying for you.”

            “I guess I will be praying for you too,” I replied. “I will pray for you to get well.

           

Chapter 13

 

            After I left the hospital, I discovered I had a message about Leigh. Apparently one of her friends had snuck her some drugs and she had died. I was stunned by the news. I figured I would have more time to get to Leigh and help her find God.

            That night on the park bench, I struggled to fall asleep. I just couldn’t understand what God had planned for us. I mean, sure, I had success with Sarah but Leigh was a different story. Walter had success with Victor but not with the rest of his gang. Maybe Walter and I were making a mistake by being Street Christians. Maybe we would be better off somewhere else.

            I sat up and stared out at the park. I needed something that would help me feel better and help me deal with the difficult world around me. Only one thing did that though.

            I got off the bench and walked to another park close by. Hopefully, he would be there.

            Sure enough, there was my old drug dealer. I pulled out the cash I was going to donate to the shelter and bought the drugs.

            “What are you doing, Hazel?” a voice asked.

            I looked around but couldn’t figure out where the voice was coming from.

            “I said, what are you doing, Hazel?” the person asked again, this time stepping out of the shadows and into the light.

            I recognize the person as someone I had worked with several months ago.

            “Harmony, you scared me,” I said.

            “What do you think you are doing, Hazel?” Harmony asked a third time.

            “Whatever do you mean?” I asked.

            “You know this park has a reputation for being a place for drugs!”

            “Then what are you doing here?” I asked.

            “Hazel, remember several months ago when you told me that God had plans for me?”

            “Yeah.” I had baptized Harmony shortly after that.

            “Well, God has been using me at this park. I talk to potential customers about how Jesus died for my sins and tell them how they can get help with their drug problem.”

            “I am glad God has been doing amazing things through you,” I said.

            “You still haven’t answered my questions though, Hazel. What are you doing here?”

            “I guess I was tempted to do drugs.”

            “We are all tempted at some point,” Harmony aged. “But why give in now?”

            I told Harmony about Leigh and Walter.

            “Hazel, life with God still includes some bumps in the road. Since you are homeless, you should realize that life isn’t perfect. God is still working through you. Don’t give up. Look at all the people you have been able to save. You saved me from eternal death! Hazel, don’t stop your work because of one failure. You have done so much good. God isn’t finished with you!”

            “Thanks, Harmony. You really have helped me feel better.”

            “Come by anytime. I am usually here. I will pray for you.”

            “And I will be praying for you.”

            Before I left, I tossed the drugs into the trash and then returned to my park bench, feeling a lot better.

 

Chapter 14

 

            The next morning, I went to visit Sarah first that way Walter could get a few extra hours of rest before I came to see him.

            “How’s it going, Sarah?” I asked when I entered her room.

            “I am going home today!” she exclaimed.

            “Congratulations for making it this far!” I said.

            “It is now time for me to put God’s plans into action!”

            “Has God revealed those plans to you?”

            “Absolutely. I am going to start a support group here at the hospital. Anybody can come but it will mostly be aimed for drug addicts to talk to other addicts. Everyone will be able to offer each other support and encouragement.”

            “So people like me can come?”

            “You are welcome to come but you don’t need the help.”

            “And that’s where you are wrong,” I said.

            “What do you mean? You are such an encouragement to everyone here.”

            I told Sarah all about Leigh, Walter getting hurt, and how I almost did drugs.

            “Hazel, you work in an area where you might never get to see the results of your work. God knows people’s hearts though. He knows what you are doing. And you have had a lot of successes. And as for the danger, that is to be expected. It was dangerous for God’s people in the Bible. They didn’t care if they died for Him. As for the drugs, don’t feel so bad. You didn’t give in. I am sure you will remember the awful feeling you have right now and will think twice before you give in again.”

            “Thanks, Sarah. I don’t know what I would do without friends like you.”

            “Don’t be afraid to ask for help, Hazel. You help so many people. Give us the opportunity to help you.”     

            “Thanks, Sarah. Thanks for everything. Good luck out there. I will stop in on your support group sometime.”

            “Thanks, Hazel.”

            I headed to the other hospital so that I could see Walter.

            “How are you feeling?” Walter asked when he saw me.

            “You first,” I said. It was just like Walter to put me before himself.

            “I am doing pretty good. I think I might get out tomorrow. They are kind of afraid to let me go because they are afraid the gang will come after me.”

            “You can just tell the gang that God saved you for a reason.”

            “That is a good idea! I will do that!”

            “Walter, I was joking. You can’t go visit the gang in your condition.”

            “Fine, I will wait until I am one hundred percent better and then go see them.”

            “That’s better.”

            “So what is going on with you? You seem to be in a better mood.”

            I told Walter about losing Leigh and buying drugs and talking to Harmony and Sarah. “I am feeling a lot better. I am ready to take on more addicts.”

            “Well, don’t waste your time with me. There are souls that need saving!”

            “I will see you later,” I told Walter with a laugh before heading out to the streets.

© 2014 Kimberly Adams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
Added on January 8, 2014
Last Updated on January 8, 2014
Tags: Christian, street, homeless, drugs, gangs

Author

Kimberly Adams
Kimberly Adams

About
My favorite thing to do is write. After I surrendered my life to Christ and became a Christian, I decided that I would write for God. I usually focus on depression in my writing as well because it is .. more..

Writing
Sheltered Sheltered

A Chapter by Kimberly Adams