Twice a Paraplegic

Twice a Paraplegic

A Chapter by Kimberly Adams
"

Heather has been paralyzed in a car accident-again. This is the second time in four years. Will she walk again? And how does God fit into all this?

"

Chapter 1

 

            I could hear voices but they sounded really far away. I wanted to open my eyes but they felt like they weighed a ton. I would like to go back to sleep but I was finding it difficult. Everything hurt. Everything hurt except-

            “My legs!” I cried out.

            I opened my eyes and looked around. I was in the hospital again. Doctors surrounded my bed.

            This had to be a nightmare. The odds of this happening once to a person are pretty low. There was no way this had happened to me again.

            “Please tell me I am dreaming,” I begged Dr. Ramirez. “Please tell me that I will walk again.”           

            “You walked last time even though we told you it would never happen. Maybe you will defy the odds a second time.”

            I did not want to say it but I needed a definite answer. “I am paralyzed again?” I asked.

            Dr. Ramirez nodded and patted my hand.

            Tears streamed down my face as I processed this information. There was no way I could go through this again. What were the odds anyway?

            “What happened?” I asked.

            “A drunk driver struck your car and pushed you into a lot of incoming traffic. You were very badly hurt. You have several broken bones as well as internal injuries. You are very lucky to be alive. We actually thought you would not make it.”

            “And what about the other drivers?”

            “Only one fatality.”

            “The drunk driver?” I asked hopefully.

            “No, it was a college girl.”

            I felt bad for the girl and her family. She had her whole life ahead of her, just like me.

            “I will let you get some rest, Heather,” Dr. Ramirez said. “If you need anything, just push your button. Your family will be here in a little while.

            “Or what is left of my family,” I muttered.

            Tears came to my eyes again as I thought about all that I had endured in the past. And I was going to have to go through it again.

            When I was sixteen, my family’s car was struck by a drunk driver. My parents were killed instantly. My brother died a few days later. My eighteen year old sister Sarah broke her leg.

            I was very lucky to be alive. I had broken several bones and had some serious internal injuries. I had also received spinal damage and was told that I would never walk again. I spent several months in the hospital.

            I defied the doctors though. I did manage to walk again. I also went on to college to study nursing.

            I never thought that it would happen again four years later. I had been on my way home for fall break to see my sister when it happened. How many drunk drivers are there in the world that I had to be struck and paralyzed by two of them?

            I remembered how difficult it was to learn to walk again. There were several times that I so badly wanted to give up. I never in a million years thought I would go through this again. I did not want to go through it again. But I also did not want to be confined to a wheelchair the rest of my life.

            I burst into tears as I thought about my life and how awful it was.

 

Chapter 2

 

            Sarah burst into tears when she entered my room. She looked like she wanted to hug me but was restraining herself.

            “Thank goodness you are alive!” she cried. “I did not think you were going to make it. I cannot imagine my life without you.”

            Sarah is twenty two years old. When she was eighteen, she temporarily gave up her dream of college so that she could become my legal guardian. It was not easy for her to raise a paralyzed teenager. She had to work a minimum wage job to support us but she did it. Only when I got financial aid to go to college did she decided to go to school too.

            “Did they tell you the bad news?” Sarah asked hesitantly.

            “I knew it before they told me. I have been through this before.”

            “Heather, I am so, so sorry.”

            “It is not your fault. There is nothing you can do.”

            “Still, I wished it had not happened. Especially not right after you just learned to walk again. I guess I know you will defy the doctors again though.”

            “You seriously believe I am going to walk again?”

            “Yeah, don’t you?”

            “It was not easy the first time. I do not believe that it is going to be any easier now. In fact, I am betting it is going to be even harder.”

            “I guess if you want to spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair than that is your choice.”

            “What is the rest of my life going to be like?” I wondered. “I will not be able to do anything.”

            “Where are these thoughts coming from, Heather?” Sarah asked angrily. “Last time, you were full of hope. You decided you were going to pursue nursing despite the wheelchair. You also knew that you were going to try your hardest to walk again. You never gave up on your dreams and you have come far because of it. What is different this time?”

            “I pursued nursing and for what? I cannot exactly finish school when I am in the hospital. And it is not going to be an easy job in a wheelchair. And even if I do go back to school in a few months, when am I going to have time to learn to walk again?”

            “I called your school and told them what happened. They said they would work with you online so that you can finish your classes this semester. And it just so happens that you are surrounded by doctors and nurses that can help you with the practical parts of your classes.”

            “You expect me to be a paralyzed nurse?”

            “I expect you to become something. I do not care if you want to try to walk again or if you want to spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair. I do want you to make something of yourself though. You are not going to let this accident stop you from living your life to the fullest.”

            “It is not that simple, Sarah.”

            “You think I do not know about complicated situations? I put my life on hold so that I could take care of you. I sacrificed a lot for you. You owe me this.”

            Sarah did have a point but it was not going to be easy to do what she wanted.

            “I am not going to make any guarantees,” I warned her. “But I promise that I will at least put forth the effort to make something of my life.”

            “That is what I want to hear, Heather,” Dr. Ramirez said as she entered my room. “The wheelchair should not stop you from doing what you want. You can do anything if you set your mind to it.”

            “I have heard all this before,” I reminded her.

            “Now you just need to believe it,” she said.

 

Chapter 3

 

            Later that day, an unfamiliar man entered my room. I knew that he was not a doctor or a nurse because I knew most of the hospital staff from my last stay here. And, this guy was also not dressed like a doctor or nurse.

            “Who are you?” I asked.

            “Heather, that is not very polite,” Sarah hissed.

            I was in too much pain to be polite.

            “Excuse me, sir; can I help you with something?” I asked as I glared at Sarah.

            “Actually, I am Clint Rider, a reporter for the Johnsonville Herald. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?”

            “I do,” I said. I remembered this guy. He had wanted to do an interview after the first accident. When Sarah and I refused, he had gone to other people that we knew and talked to them. Then, he published several articles with information that was wrong.

            “Come on, Heather, this is not going to hurt. Besides, after your first accident, you picked up a lot of fans. They are going to want to know about this new development.”

            “And how do you plan on sharing this information with them? Last time you wrote about me, you got everything wrong!”

            “Tell me what was wrong and I will tell the readers about it in my next article.”

            Sarah had her laptop with her so she pulled up the articles that she had saved to her computer.

            “Our parents’ dying wish was that we would stick together as well as make something of ourselves,” she read.

            “How can that be true?” I asked Mr. Rider. “Our parents died on contact!”

            Sarah continued reading. “The only thing that kept me alive was the thought of my sister. I knew that she would need me to take care of her once she got out of the hospital.”

            “Sarah did not nearly die in the accident,” I said. “She broke her leg but other than that, she was fine.”

            “There is plenty more,” Sarah said.

            “I do not need to hear any more, girls. I had to write that stuff to make your story a little more interesting. I have to write what the people want to hear.”

            “But you told them a bunch of lies! Besides, what is boring about a drunken driving accident in which three people die, a teenager is paralyzed, and another teenager becomes the legal guardian of her sister?”

            “I needed some quotes and you would not give them to me.”

            “I wonder why,” I said sarcastically. “Sarah and I had just lost our family and we had a lot to deal with at the time.”

            “So does that mean that you will allow me to ask a few questions now?”

            “We actually do not need any more lies told at this time,” Sarah said.

            “Get out!” I yelled.

            “What is going on?” Dr. Ramirez asked. “Who are you?”

            “I am Clint Rider,” he said as he held out his hand. “I am a reporter for the Johnsonville Herald. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?”

            “Please leave, Mr. Rider,” the doctor ordered. “Heather needs rest.”

            Mr. Rider left the room but I knew that we could expect something about us in the morning paper.

 

Chapter 4

 

            I was not in a good mood when I woke up very early the next morning. I was in a lot of pain and the doctors would not give me anything. I wanted to go back to sleep but because of the pain and constant stream of doctors, I was finding it very difficult.

            “What do you want?” I exclaimed when Dr. Roberts entered.

            “Heather!” Sarah exclaimed. “They are just doing their job. You owe your life to them.”

            “It is ok, Sarah,” Dr. Roberts said. “Heather has been through a lot already and there is plenty more to come.”

            “Still, you need to mind your manners,” Sarah said.

            “We will see how well you mind your manners the next time you are badly injured by a drunk driver,” I retorted.

            “Let us hope there is not a next time,” Dr. Roberts said with a weak laugh.

            “You know,” Sarah said as she turned to me, “I may not know the physical pain you have been through but I have been through my share of problems. Do you think it was easy becoming your legal guardian at eighteen? Do you think it was easy taking care of both of us at minimum wage?”

            I opened my mouth to say something back but Dr. Roberts held up his hands.

            “Girls, stop it. You have both been through a lot because of the accidents. But you are all each other have. And if anyone is going to even try to understand what either of you have been through, it would be your sister.”

            Maybe Dr. Roberts had a point but I was not really in the mood to hear it right now. I was about to say something else to Sarah but was interrupted again by Nurse Kelly coming into the room.

            “Mail call!” she said as she handed me the Johnsonville Herald. “Guess who made the front page!”

            “It had better not be me,” I said as I unfolded the paper.

            Sure enough, there was a front page story from Clint Rider about me.

 

Twice a Paraplegic

 

By Clint Rider


           


            Heather Wilson was sixteen when her family’s car was struck by a drunk driver. Heather’s parents were killed instantly. Heather’s brother died a few days later. Heather’s sister, Sarah, sustained mild injuries and would later become her sister’s legal guardian at eighteen. Heather was very badly injured and ended up in a wheelchair.

            Heather was told she would never walk again but she decided not to listen to the doctors. One day, she was able to walk once more. She never thought another accident would happen again, but it did.

            Four years later, Heather was on her way home to visit Sarah when she was struck by a drunk driver and paralyzed again.

            Heather is keeping a very positive outlook on life though.

            “I am thankful to be alive,” she said. “I know I will walk again and then I will continue studying nursing so that I can help patients like me.”


 

            “I do not remember saying that to him,” I said when I finished.

            “At least he got all the other details right,” Sarah said.

            “There is more,” Kelly said.

            “What do you mean?” I asked. “There had better not be more to the story by Mr. Rider.”

            “Oh, it is nothing like that,” she assured me. “You picked up a lot more fans because of the accident.” She put a large post office box on the bedside table. It was filled with letters.

            “Just leave them there,” I said. “I will look at them later.”

 

Chapter 5

 

            “I really think you should start a blog,” Sarah said later after I had woken up from a nap.

            “Why?” I asked.

            “You have a lot of admirers,” she replied as she gestured at my mail. “They would probably like to hear how you are doing. Besides, you need something to do.”

            I grabbed one of the cards.

            “Dear Heather,” I read.” Sorry to hear about your accident. Get well soon. Sincerely, Riley.”

            I grabbed another one that said pretty much the same thing. The third one was not that much different.        

            “Why should I start a blog for these people? They just feel sorry for me.”

            “This person is not like those people.” Sarah handed me a card she had sent aside.

            Dear Heather,

                        I was in a really bad car accident a year ago. I nearly died. As I began to recover, I was very angry because I was going to be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of my life. But then, I read your story online and knew that I was going to walk again, just like you. While I am not walking yet, I am not going to give up, because I know you were successful and I know I will be one day too.

                        I am really sorry to hear about your second accident. But I know that you will walk again because you have done this before.

                        Good luck!

                        Angelina

 

            “I bet she would love to hear about your progress,” Sarah said as there was a knock on the door.

            I turned to find Sage and Sidney, two of my college friends standing in the doorway.

            “Thank goodness you are alive!” Sage cried as they both rushed to my bed.

            Sarah held out her hand to stop them before they could hug me.

            “She is still in a lot of pain,” Sarah said.

            Sarah left the room and Sage and Stacey took seats close to the bed.

            “How did you know I was here?”

            “We saw the story on the news. They did not mention any names but we recognized your car. We tried calling you but you did not answer your phone.”

            “I think it must have been destroyed in the accident,” I said.

            “After that, we just called all the hospitals in the area until we found you.”

            “You should change your major from nursing to detective work,” I said with a laugh.

            “It is good to see you laughing, Heather,” Stacey said. “I cannot believe that this had to happen to you again. I know you will walk someday though.”

            “Who says I am going to walk again?” I asked.

            “You are at least going to try, aren’t you?” Sage looked shocked.

            “It is not that simple.”

            “Heather, you walked before even though you were told it would never happen. You know it is not going to be easy but you should at least try. You never know what is possible.”

            “That is easy for you to say. But you have no idea what I went through during the first accident. You have no idea what I am going through now.”

            “You have changed, Heather,” Sage said sadly. “You have always been positive. You have always worked hard for the things you wanted. You never gave up.”

            “This accident changed me.”

            “I suppose you are just going to give up on nursing?” Stacey asked bitterly.

            “I am going to at least finish out this semester online. I need something to keep me busy.”

            Dr. Ramirez entered the room and my friends decided to leave. I was pleased to see them go. I really did not need them telling me how to feel or what to do.

Chapter 6

 

            Sarah soon had to return to school and I was left alone (if you do not count all the doctors and nurses that would not leave me alone). When they were not in my room, I had my classes to work on.

            One day, a girl about my age knocked on the door.

            “Come on in,” I said. I did not know her but I really wanted some company (my friends would not even talk to me after the time they came to visit me).

            The girl was carrying a Bible and wearing a large cross necklace.

            “Oh, no! I am dying!” I exclaimed. Why else would a religious person come to see me?

            “Why would you think you are dying?” the girl asked curiously.

            “Why else would you bring your Bible?”

            The girl laughed. “My name is Alicia and I am from the Hope Community Church.”

            “I am Heather,” I said.

            “My church often comes to the hospital to visit with patients,” Alicia said.

            “Patients who are dying?” I asked. I was still not convinced.

            “Actually, I was told that you were pretty much alone since your sister went back to school. Hope Community Church started these visits to offer company to patients that do not have any family or friends.”

            I was still a little suspicious but I decided I would like to have Alicia stay.

            “Does it make you feel awkward to visit sick people?” I asked.

            “A little. But when I first heard about this idea, I felt God was calling me to do this. And really, it has been very rewarding.”

            “God calling you? What do you mean?”

            “God has given us so many gifts and blessings to use for Him. I am very friendly and God has called me to visit patients and tell them about Jesus.”

            I should have known Alicia had an ulterior motive even if it did not involve telling me that I was dying. She was trying to convert me.

            “Has God called you to do anything, Heather?”

            “I think God is against me. I was paralyzed by a drunk driver when I was sixteen. I did learn to walk again but then I was just recently paralyzed by another drunk driver.”

            “I have heard your story. You have a lot of followers.”

            “But it does not look like God cares about me, does it?”

            “God is trying to get your attention, Heather. There have been two accidents already. You could very well have died. When are you going to wake up and let Him into your life?”

            “Why should I? What has He ever done for me?”

            “Where do you think you would be right now if you had died in the accident?”

            “I imagine I would be in Heaven. I am a pretty good person. I do not drive drunk. I have never killed anyone.”

            “Heaven does not work that way,” Alicia said seriously.

            “What do you mean?”

            “You asked what God has done for you. God has given you the ultimate gift. We are all sinners. It does not matter whether we drive drunk or not. We are all to die for our sins. But God loved us so much that He sent His Son, Jesus, to die for all sins. Whoever accepts this forgiveness and lives their life for Jesus will one day spend eternity in Heaven.”

            “Are you saying that I would not be in Heaven right now if I had died?” This was news to me. And even though I was not really into religion, it was kind of scary.

            “If you are a Christian today, you are as close to hell as you will ever be. To a non-Christian, you are as close to Heaven as you will ever get.”

            “You mean my life could get a lot worse than this?”

            Alicia nodded grimly.

            “Why would God choose to save me twice?” I asked. “It is not like I even have anything to offer Him.”

            “Of course you do. You have a lot of fans after the first accident. I imagine you have a lot more now. Imagine the impact you could have on them.”

            “I do not know,” I said hesitantly. “This is all so much to think about. I need some time to process all this.”

            “That is ok. This is a decision that you should not rush. But I also encourage you not to wait too long. You have already been gambling with your soul. How many more chances do you think God will give you?”

            “If I do decide I am ready for a relationship with Jesus, than what do I need to do?”

            “You just need to pray and tell God that you are a sinner but you are sorry and ready to accept His forgiveness. Also, tell Him you are ready to now live your life for Him.”

            “That seems too easy.”

            “It does, but it is the most important decision you will ever make.”

            “Thanks, Alicia. I promise I will think about everything you told me.”

            “I will come back to see you, Heather. In the meantime, I will be praying for you.”

 

Chapter 7

 

            I thought a lot about what Alicia had told me. I understood why I needed to give my life to Jesus. But I could not understand why God would allow me to be involved in two different drunken driving accidents. And why did I need to be paralyzed again; especially since after I had just learned to walk again? And why did God feel the need to take away my family?

            God may have given me the ultimate gift of forgiveness (after I accepted it, that is) but I still was not ready to have a relationship with Him after all the things I had been through.

            I planned on asking Alicia my list of questions the next time I saw her. But in the meantime, I busied myself with school and reading my fan mail.

            Surprisingly, not all my mail was sympathy for what I had been through. Some of the letters were from people who had recently been paralyzed and were looking for support and encouragement.

            “There is no way I can respond to all these people,” I told Kelly when she entered my room with my daily mail. “I have school and walking to think about.”

            “And you should put a lot of effort into those things,” Kelly agreed. “If you are interested in addressing your fans, you should think about starting a blog.”

            “My sister said I should do that.”

            “It would be a great way to tell everyone at once what is going on,” Kelly said.

            So that night, I got on my computer and created my blog, “Twice a Paraplegic,” from that article that Clint Rider wrote. Then, I posted about everything that happened.

 

A Crazy Four Years

 

When I was sixteen, my family’s car was struck by a drunk driver. My parents were killed instantly. My brother died a few days later. My sister, Heather, and I survived.

           

Heather broke her leg but I had very serious injuries. I was also paralyzed from the waist down and was told that I would never walk again.

 

Heather, eighteen at the time, put her dreams of college on hold to become my legal guardian. It was not easy raising a paralyzed teenager on minimum wage.

 

Despite what the doctors told me, I did walk again and went on to college to study nursing. I never thought it would all happen yet again though, four years later.

           

A few weeks ago, I went home to see my sister and was again struck by a drunk driver. And again, I was paralyzed from the waist down.

 

It has been a very rough few weeks. People assume that I will walk again because I have done it before. My friends got angry at me when they heard all my doubt.

 

Right now, I am going through a lot. I have a long way to recovery. On top of that, I am trying to finish out my college classes. Plus, I am presented with ideas of walking again and religion.

 

I hope this blog will satisfy all of those that have sent me mail. I promise I will write again, but right now, I need a little break.

 

            With that finished, I published my blog and signed off. I would write again later.

 

Chapter 8

 

            My blog became popular over night. When I woke up the next morning, I was surprised by the number of comments. I was not even going to try to read them all. I had school to focus on.

            Friday though, I decided to write my next blog. Sarah was coming for the weekend and I needed something to help pass the time.

 

Will I Ever Walk Again?

 

When I was sixteen, I was told that I would never walk again. I did not want the doctors to have the final say though. Doctors have been wrong before. Besides, I had heard miraculous stories of people walking again after spinal injuries. I was not sure if it would be possible for me, but I figured I should at least try.

 

The journey to walking again was very difficult. I had numerous physical therapy sessions. There were times when I was discouraged and close to giving up. And then, finally, I took my first steps and all the hard work was worth it.

 

Many people assume that I am going to try to walk again. I have not actually decided if I am going to try. When people hear that, they are shocked. They think I am capable of pulling off another miracle. If I do not try, they say, than I will be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

 

I will try to make a comparison for walking again with high school to make it a little easier to understand what I am going through right now.

 

High school can be a very difficult time for some people. The classes can be stressful and there can be so much drama. For some, it is tempting to give up, but they do not, because they know in the end, they will be rewarded with a diploma.

 

But these people are not sure if they should even make an attempt at college. They have an idea of what college will be like after finishing high school and they are not sure if they really want to go through all that again. They really want the rewards of a college diploma but they are just not sure they are up for the hard work.

 

The same is true of me walking again. I am just not sure I am up for college.

 

            About an hour after I had published my blog, Sarah came.

            “I see you have just written another blog that is setting the internet on fire,” she said.

            “I am not looking at people’s comments,” I said. “There are too many of them. Besides, everyone has their own opinions.”

            “I am not sure I agree with your opinion but you are the one that has to live with your decision.”

            And that is why I like Sarah so much. She does not tell me what to do. She will offer advice when I want it but she has always let me live my own life, even when I was just sixteen.

            “So how have you been?” she asked.

            I told her all about the visit from Alicia and then about starting my blog.

 

Chapter 9

 

            “How are you doing, Heather?” Alicia asked one day when she entered the room.

            I was not having a good day. I had been feeling very lonely ever since the weekend ended and Sarah had to go back to school. On top of that, I had failed a quiz because I had suddenly gotten sick and the doctors had to come into my room to help me. I still was not feeling that great.

            “I am wonderful,” I said sarcastically and turned away from Alicia so she would not see the tears forming in my eyes.

            “Can I pray for you?” she asked gently.

            I knew if I said anything, any comment at all, I would start crying. I guess Alicia did not need an answer though.

            “Lord,” Alicia prayed out loud, “I pray for Heather. So much has been happening to her and it is a lot for her to take. I pray You be with her and help her through it all. Heal her body as well as her heart so that she can see You working through her. Amen.”

            “Do you really believe God will do that for me?” I asked curiously.

            “First of all, you have to ask. Second, you have to have faith. Even then, God might say no. God has plans for you. He knows what He is doing.”

            “How does losing my family, being involved in two accidents, and being paralyzed twice fit into God’s plans?”

            “God’s plans do not always make sense, Heather. But who are we to question what God is doing?”

            “You want me to have Jesus in my life but yet you are saying bad things are still going to happen?”

            “But someday, we will leave this earth behind. And as long as we have Jesus in our heart, we will go to Heaven where there will be no more hunger, thirst, death, or sickness.”

            “I will I could go there now,” I groaned. More pain had just hit me.

            “Should I go find a doctor?” Alicia asked in concern.

            “No, they already know.”

            “Heather, we all wish Jesus would come and take us to Heaven. But first, God has plans for us on earth. He is not finished with us yet. And in the meantime, you need to bring Jesus into your life. Otherwise, you will not be going to Heaven.”

            Alicia decided to leave since I was not feeling that great. But I wanted something to help distract me from the pain so I got on my computer to write another blog.

 

Jesus

 

I have been told that if I had died in either of my accidents, I would not be in Heaven right now. I have been told that all I need to do is accept the forgiveness given for all sins through Jesus’ death and then promise to live my life for Him. It is not that simple though. So much bad stuff has happened to me. I am finding it difficult to let go of my anger at God for taking away my family and causing me to be paralyzed twice.

 

Besides, if I do plan on becoming a true Christian later in life, what plans could God possible have for me? I am just a paraplegic studying nursing. Besides learning to walk again, I have done nothing extraordinary in my life. I have no amazing gifts or talents.

 

            I had just barely published my post when someone commented back.

            “God knows what He is doing, Heather. Already, He is doing amazing things through you. Now, you just need to open your eyes and see it. Imagine what more He could do for you and through you if you would just let Him into your life.”

            “Lord,” I prayed for the first time, “I do not know what in the world You are doing through me. I pray You would reveal Your plans for me. How does being paralyzed fit into Your plans? What can I do for You? Amen.”

 

Chapter 10

 

            I was dying. The doctors told me I was experiencing some complications and while they were doing everything they could, my chances were not that great.

            Sarah stayed by my side all the time. She really wanted to talk to me but I was still in a daze.

            I was still angry at God but I knew that I needed to surrender my life to Him or I would be experiencing something way worse than what I was going through right now. But the two sides of my argument were sending my brain into havoc.

            And for once, when Alicia came into my room, I was eager to talk about religion.

            Alicia gave me a weak smile. “The hospital told me what was going on. They recommended I come talk to you.”

            “Do you get told about every dying patient?” I asked.

            “Almost.”

            I looked over at Sarah who was sleeping on the couch. If she had not been asleep, I would have told her to give us some privacy.

            “So is there something you want to talk about?” Alicia asked.

            “My brain is wrestling with what I should do and what I want to do. Should I let go of my anger and let God into my life or continue with my rage?”

            “You know what I think you should do. Your eternity depends on this.”

            “But what can I honestly do for God now? I am dying!”

            “I read a book once where this teenager committed suicide. Before she died though, she wrote a book about her life, including a section on becoming a Christian. Then, she mailed copies of the book to people so that they would know how to bring Jesus into their lives. The book is now published and a best seller.”

            It was too late for me to write a book but since I had so many fans, maybe I could still make a difference dead.

            “God has given you the opportunity to have all your sins forgiven, Heather. We are all sinners and do not deserve a single blessing from God. I know you are angry at Him for everything that has happened because of the accident. But really, did you deserve any of those things such as a nice family and the ability to walk?”

            “I guess not,” I admitted. “But it is still not fair that the accident had to happen to me.”

            “God has still given you good doctors and a sister that cares. You have other blessings that you do not deserve.”

            “I guess you are right,” I agreed.

            “God has special plans for you, Heather. I know you might not like those plans, but that is why the accident happened to you and not someone else.”

            Everything that Alicia made sense. It would be rude of me not to accept the gift of forgiveness, especially since I did not deserve it and God chose to give it to me anyway.

            “Dear God,” I prayed out loud, “I am sorry I have blamed you for the accident and have been too stubborn about bringing You into my life. I know I probably do not have that much time left on Earth, but I am ready to accept Your forgiveness and to live the rest of my life for You. I only hope it is not too late to make a difference. And Lord, I thank You for all the blessings You have given me. Amen.”

            I looked up to see Alicia in tears. “Welcome to the family,” she said and gently hugged me.

            Sarah had woken up and I could tell that she had heard my prayer. “I hope someday I can forgive God for everything, just like you,” she cried.

            Suddenly, I began to feel faint and the monitors around me started going off. Doctors flooded my room and I passed out.

 

Chapter 11

 

            I opened my eyes and looked around the room. I felt like I had been asleep for days. I felt like I had a ton of energy and all I wanted to do was get out of bed and do something.

            “Thank goodness you are awake!” Sarah cried when she saw that my eyes were open.

            It was coming back to me. I remembered feeling really sick and praying to God.

            “I feel better now,” I said.

            “You took a turn for the better yesterday and then the doctors said there was a good chance you would make it. But then, you would just not wake up.”

            “You should not have worried about me so much. If I had died, I would be spending eternity in Heaven with Jesus. I only hope someday you will make the same decision so that you can be with me.”

            “I will be going to Heaven with you, Heather. I heard everything that you and Alicia said when you thought I was asleep. It really got me thinking. One day, when I thought you were dying, I asked the hospital to contact Alicia so that I could talk to her.”

            “Congratulations, Sarah. What led to this decision?”

            “Despite everything that I have been through, I realize that I am still very blessed. I realize that I owe God for all these blessings. He deserves my worship. And when I talked to Alicia, she told me about the gift of forgiveness and how I needed to accept this gift and to live my life for Jesus.”

            “I am really happy for you, Sarah. But what comes next?”

            “What do you mean?”

            “So what are we going to do to live our lives for Jesus?”

            “God will tell us, Heather. I am sure your plans include addressing all of your fans and telling them about Jesus. And I am wanting to do something like Alicia in hospitals.”

            “I suppose I should write a blog about how I am alive and now a Christian.”

            “That would be a good place to start.”

 

Chapter 12

 

            The next time Alicia came to visit, I had a really important question to ask her.

            “You know how you said good people do not get to Heaven just because of their behavior?” I asked.

            “Yes,” Alicia replied.

            “Then does that mean drunk drivers could go to Heaven?”

            “If they surrendered their life to Jesus, then yes. Why do you ask?”

            “Well, I do not deserve Jesus’ forgiveness, but He gave it to me anyway. The drunk drivers do not deserve my forgiveness, but Jesus forgave them, so I think I should too. After all, that sounds like something a Christian should do.”

            “Forgiveness is hard for everyone. I applaud what you are doing. If only more people could forgive their enemies, then the world might be a better place.”

            “That is why I am going to write about it on my blog.”

            “You have done some great work through your blog. I know your sister says that you do not read the comments, but a lot of people have been touched by you. People that have been paralyzed in accidents are going to try walking again. People are also giving their lives to Jesus.”

            “I never thought I would be able to make a difference after becoming a paraplegic-twice at that.”

            “God’s plans do not always make sense.”

            “God has revealed something else to me,” I said.

            “And what is that?”

            “God told me I should try to walk again. He did not tell me if I would be successful but He still told me to try.”

            “Well, I will be praying that You will be successful. But even if you are not, God will still be able to do something amazing.”

            “And I cannot wait to see what is next!” I said excitedly.

 

 

 


 

 



© 2014 Kimberly Adams


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on April 17, 2014
Last Updated on April 17, 2014
Tags: car, accident, drunk, driving, drunken, God, Jesus, sister, orphan, guardian, paralyzed, paraplegic, hospital, doctor


Author

Kimberly Adams
Kimberly Adams

About
My favorite thing to do is write. After I surrendered my life to Christ and became a Christian, I decided that I would write for God. I usually focus on depression in my writing as well because it is .. more..

Writing
Sheltered Sheltered

A Chapter by Kimberly Adams