The Button

The Button

A Story by Jeremy Davis
"

This is a bit of flash fiction I did based on a writing prompt about a psych experiment

"
The man in the lab coat left me here about an hour ago. The room around me is absolutely silent. The walls are bare. The floor cold and entirely uninviting. The only remarkable thing in the room is a bright red button set in the centre on a pedestal: the lights all focused on it in the eeriest of ways. I couldn’t help but focus on it as my mind slipped into boredom.
As I stared at it, the man in the lab coats words echoed through my mind. So cold and robotic.
"The manner of this experiment is simple. Under no circumstances are you allowed to press the button in the centre of the room. Failure to follow these instructions will be considered a grievous failure, and you will be expelled from this and any further testing. Do you understand me?"
All I could do was nod and breathe heavily. There was something imposing about this man. Maybe it was his pristine white coat. Maybe it was the title of doctor next to his name. Or maybe it was just the stern look that penetrated my soul as the word “failure” left his lips. Whatever it was, I could not push that button. I would not disappoint that man.
But still that bright red colour called to me more and more as I sat in this barren, lonely room. Hours passed, or maybe they were minutes simply amplified by the stillness of the situation.
As I slowly started to inch towards the button, wanting only to look at its pedestal, that cold, robotic voice filled the room.
"It is time for your first test mr. Engle. If you choose to break the condition of the experiment now and press the button, you will be given one million dollars. You will, however, be expelled from this facility having chosen personal gain over the program"
Oh my god. A million dollars would set me up for generations. I could live without care forever. I wanted to press the button with every fibre of my being. But my feet would not walk me toward the centre. The fear of seeing the wrath of the man in the lab coat left me standing in my corner. I could not do it. I sat down on the cold floor and bid my time by looking away from the button that called my name louder and louder. I stared only at a spot between my legs.
"Ah, mr. Engle. I see you have chosen wisely. Now the next test will begin. If you rightly refuse again to push the button, a stranger will be disposed of. Their life will be ended, and the blood will be on your hands alone. Your commitment to this experiment, should you decide to remain steadfast, will be well appreciated"
No. This is just a trick. They wouldn’t kill anyone for a stupid test. That is utter nonsense. The doctor is imposing, but he is not mad.
A loud, shrill scream filled the air. The sound of a woman pleading for her life filled the room. She was pleading for her children.
"This is your final chance Engle. What will you do?"
I sat there in shock. It was real. That poor woman’s life, her children’s well being. All of it laid in my hands. I can press the button, I’m going to. But… why am I still sitting here? I can’t move. I cannot bring myself to disobey the mad man pulling the strings. If he would murder a stranger, surely he would dispose of a betrayer like me. I tucked my head between my legs.
The scream filled the air again. Louder. More frightened
Then it all ended in a bang.
"Very well done Engle. You have served us admirably"
I sat there. All I could do was sit there. I couldn’t disobey, but every fibre of my being hated what I had done. I’m a monster. But I’m a monster with honour and life ahead of me.
The door opened. It was the man in the lab coat, this time dressed brilliantly in an elaborate military uniform.
"You are now free to go Engle. I do, however, have an offer to make you"
As his words washed over me, all I could do was nod again. What have I gotten myself into?

© 2014 Jeremy Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on February 16, 2014
Last Updated on February 16, 2014
Tags: flash fiction, fiction, psychology

Author

Jeremy Davis
Jeremy Davis

athens , GA



About
I'm a student at a university. I enjoy writing just to push what I can do. I hope you all can enjoy some of my weird little attempts. more..