Still life

Still life

A Story by Jaybee23
"

At times: It may fee,l like you're stuck in motion-going nowhere. But, as mundane, hard, or depressing life gets, it's still life.

"

Still Life



     I once saw an album cover of a prominent band, the title read; “oh inverted world”. I'm starting to grasp the concept. The world is upside down. In this world your living just to die and dying just to live. We sit around in our force-fields blocking out the external world. When we do interact with eachother: it has little human qualities. It's as if we're sleepwalking when we're awake and awake while we're dreaming-like insects passing by and feeling eachother with their antennae-then, proceeding to the next task.

     We are at the dawn of the technological revolution: where groundbreaking discoveries will be made effortlessly. We have come so far but have we really? Is all this change really for the better of society? Some argue yes, others no, and, a growing majority just don't care. The latter of the bunch is the group that terrifies me. At least the others-while there views may be extremist- at least, have a view. They have an opinion, and aren't like the mindless insects I depicted earlier.

    There are still moments in life-moments that seem to last eternity. Where the dull reality of being humans sets in. When these moments occur, we reach for an immediate solution, our cellular devices. These devices might as well be integrated into our bodies on the sheer basis of usage-which is destined to arrive.

     In a society obsessed with candy colored pills that will take you to magical place of euphoria- the cellphone is just another band-aid for a permanent problem, the human condition. The sheer fact that this issue exists, I find problematic. With all the problems of modern society, it's easy to see why taking a pill, to fix it, seems appealing. The truth is, society wants you take the pill-the medicine companies profit, and, you benefit- it's a win-win right? Wrong, the problem we are enduring, as stated previously: is the matter of the human condition. And, as a society, it is becoming the status quo to be 'comfortably numb'-I could care-I couldn't care-I don't know. We have lost the choice to feel. This is the beginning of a deep-rooted conditioning that will transcend generations.

    The question is :it better not to feel at all, then to risk the chance of never being happy, and, possibly being sad? To that, I say hell no.

 We are the living. We are the lifeless. We are the dead. We are robots

© 2017 Jaybee23


Author's Note

Jaybee23
Where are we headed?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on June 18, 2017
Last Updated on June 18, 2017
Tags: life, technology

Author

Jaybee23
Jaybee23

LA



About
I'm a writer just starting off with a burning passion to make the world a better place. I believe I can do so by giving people something to read and escape to. I mostly write action and adventure, mos.. more..

Writing
Unplugged Unplugged

A Story by Jaybee23


Calmer Waters Calmer Waters

A Story by Jaybee23


Fame Fame

A Poem by Jaybee23