Firefly

Firefly

A Poem by Lady Lazarus.

The voltage tries to resist her
shaking, but still to the touch
current encircles her retinas
trying to keep standing up

worrying about the after before
No ones cares what you are anymore
Your cheeks have lost their sweet hue
Pushing contours together til the bruises turn blue


You still grin at me there in your bed
its just tissue keeps your smile up instead
You're not quite there
I'm not quite here
My adoration has grown severe


Violet discomforting thoughts induce a whispered panic
I want to believe in nothing romantic
my footsteps will only leave stains
going to be washed away by the rain

I want to believe in the absurd
I want to believe in something naked to innoccent eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2008 Lady Lazarus.


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

this poem is yet again amazing, i love it. great work. you have such a beautiful means of words. that somehow flow within my own mind. you somehow think in the same way i do. the way that most people dont understand. great poem, just beautifully put together. another fav.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is so powerful reading it is like being possessed by a hurricane.
Every line is a small pocket of sadness and beauty and talent.
I think it's my favourite of yours for it's elegant flow and raw emotion.
Love,
Alice.

Posted 15 Years Ago


An excellent poem, a definite pleasure to read. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


What I gather from this poem is that a woman is in some sort of relationship with the "Firefly". Said boyfriend puts up a front of happiness, love and affection, but inside he is depressed and "bruised". The poem does not really say why she stays with him, perhaps there is no reason?

"You're not quite there/I'm not quite here" and "I want to believe in nothing romantic" means that the relationship is pretty damn shallow.

hmmm.. however the title and the first paragraph give it another element... I can only assume that the guy is flashy like a firefly and the relationship has.. chemistry.. energy... but he IS only an insect afterall...

Did I guess right?

Good poem.

Posted 15 Years Ago


wow. this is the best thing you've written, methinks. i'm still not entirely sure what its about, though ive read it several times through, but whatever it is its something very moving, very bleak.

"You still grin at me there in your bed/its just tissue keeps your smile up instead" is chilling, and "worrying about the after before" is one of those brilliant little lines that tickles me so.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

322 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 22, 2008

Author

Lady Lazarus.
Lady Lazarus.

glasgow, United Kingdom



About
'...And I picked on the whims of a thousand or more Still pursuing the path that's been buried for years All the dead wood from jungles and cities on fire Can't replace or relate, can't release or .. more..

Writing
ttt ttt

A Poem by Lady Lazarus.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..