Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by jumbie's #1 fan

Chapter 3

 

            Sunday evening, Christine decided to ask her father about Lydia. “So Dad, did you break up with Lydia?”

            “Yes, honey, I did.”

            “Are you going to divorce Mom?”

            He sighed. “Yeah, I think so.”

            “What about Jess?”

            “Well, she is your mother’s daughter,” he admitted.

            Christine nodded. “Her and mom will survive.”

            “How? Helen won’t be able to last on her own when the divorce is final.”

            “How long will that take?” she asked.

            “Probably months.”

            Christine sighed. “Well, at least we’re out of there.”

            “Yeah. Christine, I’d like to talk next Friday night. I want you to tell me everything that’s been going on with you. I would plan this earlier, but we just started this huge project. For real, I mean. It’s not an excuse.”

            “Okay Dad, that’s fine. I’ll rent some movies and get ice cream.”

            Evan smiled. “Perfect. It’ll be a father-daughter date.”

            “Please don’t ever say that again, Dad.” Christine laughed. “No, seriously.”

            Evan was laughing. He was amazed at how much light and personality shone through her.

            She noticed her dad looking at her with a look on his face. “What?” she asked, giggling.

            “I love you sweetheart,” he said, kissing her on the head.

            Christine hugged her dad. “I love you too, Dad. I’m going to go to bed, so I’ll actually get up for school.”

            “Okay. Good night.”

            She smiled. “Night.”

 

 

            Monday flew by. So did Tuesday. Wednesday did too. Christine could not be bothered by anyone at school. Not even David. She now kept a can of pepper spray with her at all times. Her dad also called her cell.

 

            “Hey Dad,” Christine answered her phone.

            “Hey honey, I have some news.”

            “What kind of news?” she asked curiously.

            “Well, only if you want to. See, I’ve been doing such a good job on this project, they offered me a promotion. They want me to move to Sacramento. You’d be able to leave everything behind here in Newport. All of your memories, pain, your mother…”

            “Dad, that sounds wonderful!” Christine was so excited, she could barely contain herself.

            “Great! I was thinking about moving Monday.”

            “Oh my God! I am so excited!” Christine squealed.

            “Okay, well, I have to go, but I’ll see you Friday night.”

            “Okay. Have you even been home?”

            “Yeah, but you’ve been asleep. I've gotten home really late.”

            “Oh. All right, I’ll see you Friday.”

            “Okay. I love you.”

            “Love you too Dad.”

 

            Christine hung up the phone . “Yes! This is the best thing ever!” She blasted her Paramore music and ran through the suite. Singing along with the music, she danced and jumped up and down.  “This is the best night of my life!” she squealed.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            The following evening, Evan was in his office. He was going through a book of paperwork when his phone rang. Oh it’s probably Christine, he thought. He answered it. “Hello?”

           

            “Evan? It’s Lydia.”

            His voice suddenly grew quiet. “Lydia, I told you to stop calling me.”

            “We have a situation that is unavoidable. I need you to meet me.”

            “Lydia, I can’t see you. I am very busy.”

            “Busy enough not to see me?” she asked playfully. “Evan, it’s really important.

            Evan sighed. “I have 15 minutes. Where do you want to meet?”

            “Come to the Starbucks outside your work. I’m already there.”

            “See you in a few.”

 

            Evan saw Lydia sitting at a table sipping a caramel cappuccino, her favorite.  “Lydia, what is this about?” he asked impatiently pulling out a chair.

            “Impatient, are we?” Lydia smiled that smile that made Evan weak. “I have some news that you’d be interested in…”

            “What is it?”

            Lydia smiled. “Well, I am going to have a baby.”

            “And you're telling me this, why?”

            “Look at the paternity test. It’s yours.”

            Evan’s eyes widened. “Give me that.” He snatched the test out of her hands. “There’s no way.” It was true.

            She put her hand on his arm. “Evan, we’re going to have a baby.” She was so calm, so steady.

            So many things were racing through Evan’s mind. “Lydia, I can not have a baby,” he said flat out.

            Her smile disappeared. “Why not?”

            “I’m moving. With my daughter. To Sacramento. I got a job promotion.”

            “I’ll come with. When you get a divorce, we can get married.”

            “No. Absolutely not. I am not raising a baby. I cannot have my daughter know that I am having a child with a woman who is less than three years older than herself. I simply will not do it.”

            Lydia’s face grew serious. “I am not raising this baby by myself. You are going to help me. Whether  you like it or not. You are partly responsible.”

            Evan picked up his stuff. “I have to go. I’m sorry Lydia.”

            “Sorry? That’s all you have to say? Evan, if you don’t help me raise this baby, I’m going make your life a living hell. Starting with your job. You’ll lose it. Then you'll lose your daughter. And I’m sure you wouldn’t want that, right Evan?”

            He shook his head. “I’m leaving.”

           

            Evan couldn’t concentrate on his work when he got back. What am I going to do? I can’t tell Christine. I am not going to raise a baby with Lydia . If I don’t, she’ll destroy my life. I have to leave. Evan pulled out a piece of paper and began to write.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            Christine was sitting in Ray’s office the following day.

 

            “So, Christine, how was your week?”

            Christine smiled happily. “Everything has been good. Well, my mom and I had a major fight, and I ran away. Then the cops found me, and then they took me home. Dad found out that my mom threw a crystal plate at my head. He took me to a hotel. And now, we’re moving to Sacramento. I’m leaving Newport, Barbie, and Hell Mom.”

            Ray smiled. “That’s great. I’m so happy for you.”

            “I know. I’m so happy too. I can’t wait to leave here.”

            “I bet. You can leave all of your bad memories behind and start a whole new life.”

            “My sentiments exactly. Well, I have to get to class so I can let them know that I’m leaving.”

            “Well, then. Have a great time in Sacramento. I hope you find that new life that you're looking for.”

            “Yeah, me too. Thanks Ray.”

            “No problem.” Ray watched Christine leave the office smiling. She pulled out her cell phone. “Hey honey. Remember that girl Christine I was telling you about? Well, guess what?” Ray told her husband about Christine’s life turn-a-round. “I mean, Mark, you should have seen the light in her face. This was the girl that came in here last week, completely torn apart and depressed. I am so happy for her. She deserves this.”

            “You know, it’s funny,” Mark said into the phone, “the way you describe Christine, she sounds like you when you were her age.”

            “I know. I just want everything to work out for her.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            Christine got to the suite that night. She slipped her key card into the slot in the door. “Dad?” she called out. “I saw your car in the parking lot, but…” The suite was dark. “Why are all the lights out?” she wondered aloud. Turning them on, she saw her father’s slippers at the entry way. “Dad?” she called out again. “I got the ice cream. How do you feel about watching Underworld?” There was no answer.

            Christine walked down the hall to his room. She saw the desk light shine from underneath the door. “Dad, I was calling you,” she said as she opened the door.

            There he was, lying on the ground in a pool of blood. Next to him, lay a silver gun. One bullet hole through the side of his head.

            Christine was horrified. She tried to scream, but no sound came out. She took this image in, the blood, her father, the gun, and the bullet hole. She was feeling very sick. That spinning feeling again. “Oooh, I’m going to be sick.” Christine ran into the bathroom.

            When she got out, she was crying. “Dad,” she said sobbing. She grabbed the phone and dialed 911. “I’m at the Hilton Hotel and my dad is dead. He shot himself.”

            “Okay, stay there. Drink some water, and we’ll be over as soon as possible,” the voice on the phone replied.

            Christine hung up the phone and cried. She walked into the living room, so she could stop staring at her dad’s body. She paced up and down holding a bottle of water, waiting for the police to come.

           

 

 

            The police came shortly after the call. Christine watched them go down the hall, set up CAUTION tape, and take pictures of her father’s mangled and bloody body. Christine couldn’t watch. She started feeling that dizzy feeling again. Why she couldn’t shake it off, she didn’t know. The spinning started, then departed when an officer asked her if she had anyone to stay with. This had not dawned on her. In all of the turmoil, Christine had not realized that now she had no one. The only person that understood her, that was going to take her away, was her father.

            Now he was dead. There was no moving to Sacramento, no getting away from Helen and Jess, and worst of all, no escaping David. I knew it was too good to be true,  she thought sardonically. Christine watched as the officer called her mother.

            Within twenty minutes, Helen and Jess arrived. Helen caught sight of her almost ex-husband’s bloodied body and bawled. Jess shot daggers at Christine, like it was her fault that Evan was dead. The room swirled again, Christine’s vision was distorted. She couldn’t make out faces anymore, just blurred images. Then she fainted.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            Christine woke up in her bed at home. Well, what had used to be home. She was back with Jess and Helen. Sitting up groggily, she saw her suitcases that had been packed to go to Sacramento had been brought up. Christine stared at them sadly, knowing they would not see the daylight of Sacramento. Then she thought of how she would be imprisoned here in Newport. David would always follow her and hurt her…

            That was the icing on the cake. David. The worst part about staying in Newport. Never would she be free of the torment. Christine looked at her  suitcase and remembered. Rummaging through her suitcase, she found it. The razor blade. Christine looked at it, and then at her wrist. One for Dad, she thought miserably as she slid it across. She watched the blood seep through, but didn’t feel it, or at least, didn’t try to feel it. The phone rang. A few minutes later, Helen came up the stairs.

            “Oh good, you're conscious. Christine, we have to go to the police station. They found letters next to your father’s body. One addressed to Jess and myself, and then one to you. The police say it is some evidence to why he killed himself.” Helen’s eyes brimmed with tears.

            Christine didn’t argue, didn’t make any remarks, just simply nodded. She wiped her wrist on her pants discreetly and followed her down the stairs without a word.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            They arrived at the police station within minutes. The police had them all sit down at a metal table. The officer presented Helen and Christine their letters. Jess looked a bit put out because Evan hadn’t taken the time to write her one. Serves her right. Dad never even knew Jess, Christine thought. He barely had the time to know me, she thought bitterly. She opened her letter with caution, knowing that these were the last words that her father would say to her.

 

Christine,

            I know that you’re probably confused. If you're reading this letter, it means that I’m gone. I must’ve had the guts to really take my life. I’m so sorry that you had to find me on the night that we were to hang out. I wish I was more of a father to you during your life. See, the reason that struck me to take my own life was because Lydia called. I told her I didn’t want to see her, but she had said it was urgent. So, I took the time to meet her for coffee. Then she broke the news to me. She’s pregnant. I told her that we were moving, that I wasn’t going to raise another child (because I did so good raising the two that I have), but then she threatened to destroy my career, and have you taken away. I couldn’t bear to have that happen to you. The only solution I could think of to this problem was to take myself out of the picture. It’s not like my presence on the earth was all that wonderful anyway. I hope that you’ll keep the affair between the two of us, I would like your mother not to know the kind of man I was. The police will have to look at this letter, but please let this remain in confidentiality between us. I love you so much, and I hope you understand why I had to do this. Goodbye forever, my beautiful daughter.

              

               Love,

                       Your father

 

            Tears were flooding down Christine’s face. Understand? Understand? How am I supposed to understand?  She stood up. “I have to go.” She grabbed her letter, shoved it into her pocket, and ran out of the station. Rain began to fall, just like Christine’s tears. Her tears were both sad and angry. She ran to the park, the place where she went after every fateful event took place in her life. It was her asylum. Where she went crazy at. The park was empty. Christine took the time to say everything she needed to at her newly non-existent father.

            “You love me?” she cried out. “This is love? You're a coward Dad! Running away from your problems! We could have worked our way through this! But no, you had to take the easy way out!” Christine’s anger had evaporated. She collapsed to the ground, crying. “I wish I had done the same,” she whispered.

            “Christine.”

            She looked up to see the figure emerging from the shadows. “David, please leave me alone. I can’t take any more torture. Or if you're going to hurt me, kill me. I’m begging you. Please put me out of my misery.”

            David knelt down beside her. She winced as he put an arm on her shoulder. “Now why would I hurt you?” His tone was soft, his eyes were sincere. It was the old David, Christine could see. The one who cared for her, who would always be there for her.

            She threw herself into him and cried. He hugged her tightly and whispered to her that everything would be okay.

            “Honey, I am so sorry for everything. I miss you so much, and I’m going to be here for you. You know I’m the only one in the world for you. I’m the only who will care and understand your pain, right?”

            She nodded. “I know. You're the only one.”

            David cradled her in his arms. “I think I should take you home.”

            They walked to her house. David tilted her chin up and gently kissed her. “Get some sleep, I’ll come by tomorrow.”

            “Okay.”

            “I love you Christine, remember that.”

            “I love you too,” she replied, stepping into her house. She shut the door behind her and watched David through the window. Helen came up to her.

            “Christine, I was worried. I didn’t know where you went.”

            She turned. “There’s no point in kissing butt, you're not reading my letter.”

            Helen eyes widened. “Is that what you think?”

            Christine raised her eyebrows.

            “Okay fine. Why won’t you let me read it?”

            “Because it isn’t any of your business. And because I don’t like you.”

            Helen narrowed her eyes. “Give me the letter.”

            Christine rolled hers. “No, I don’t think I will.” She walked away. “Going to bed,” she said loudly.

           

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            Christine lay in her bed, unable to sleep. She probably wouldn’t for a long time. The bloodied image of her father burned in her mind. She would never forget the sight of him lying on the floor. Attempting at thinking of something other than her father, she chose to think of David. He was so understanding tonight. It was like having that boyfriend who loved me, who wanted to be with me. Maybe, he didn’t rape me. He was drunk. A lot of people can’t help the things they do when they're drunk. Nothing bad had ever happened before that night. He had treated me like I was his princess, just like he had tonight. He does love me, she decided. And I will be his, forever.

 



© 2008 jumbie's #1 fan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved this chapter, but when Christine's Dad died I wanted to punch the computer I was so up set (thankfully I didn't).
I wanna cry for her.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow...I feel for Christine she has gone through so much that nobody should have to go through, ever! it shocked me that evan did that but it really tops everything off. Very amazing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Amazingly awesome chapter!! Truly amazing! Very well written. When i read about her father, my heart just collapsed and i really didnt want to read any more because i was so sad. But i wanted to finish the chapter, and pushed myself to. That's how emotionally brilliant this story is. Im an extremely emotional guy, and do get sad, forgive me hehe. It was just so painfully sad to hear about the incident with her father and her words that followed. Ripped me apart, man hehe. Im bound to this story hehe. But im way too skeptical of this David tho. The guy creeps me out, hehe. Onto the next! >>>>

B.A.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Oh my.....this chapter is so sad and poor Christine. I can't wait to read more and see what happens next. I'm really hoping things get better for her. Great work!!!

Heather

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, this is beautiful.. I'm definitely in tears! Truly an amazing write! And I relate so much! I truly envy your talent! Beautiful write, I hope to read more!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

398 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 23, 2008
Last Updated on August 12, 2008


Author

jumbie's #1 fan
jumbie's #1 fan

Norman, OK



About
All my life, writing has been the one thing I've been good at. Of course, that's an opinion, and it depends on your tastes. Throughout everything in my semi-short life, writing is the one thing that c.. more..

Writing
Home Home

A Poem by jumbie's #1 fan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..