Chapter 5 (One Month Later)

Chapter 5 (One Month Later)

A Chapter by jumbie's #1 fan

Chapter 5 (One Month Later)

 

There was Jess. Walking towards her, eyes full of tears. She seemed radiant, the sun shining through her silky, blonde hair. Then the clouds darkened. It began to rain. Jess’ warm smile faded. Her eyes turned to sadness. She reached out for Christine, but the darkness engulfed her, taking her away from Christine. Christine reached out for her sister’s hand, only to find out she couldn’t grab it. Jess was gone. Christine turned around to see her father. Evan looked at her with tears in his eyes. “Don’t make the same mistake I did,” he said, smiling. “John. He was amazing you know. You could learn something from him.”

            “Daddy, who’s John? Is he someone you worked with?” Christine didn’t understand.

            He smiled sadly. “I wish. Ten ten, honey. Remember that when you wake up. Ten. Ten. I love you baby girl.” Then he was gone.

           

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            Christine woke up with a bad taste in her mouth. Where am I?  she wondered. She heard little beeps and saw off-white walls. Her eyes fluttered open and everything came back into focus. The accident. Jess and Helen. The pills. She had dreamt a dream, but could not remember. Her arm was connected to an IV. A doctor came into the room. She was in a hospital.

            The doctor looked at her. “What is your name?” he asked.

            She tried to speak, but no sound came out.

            “Take a deep breath. Now try again.” 

            “C-Christine Carter,” she whispered.

            “How old are you, Christine?”

            “Sixteen,” she whispered again. “What happened to me?”

            The doctor looked at her. “Christine, we found an  unhealthy amount of pills in your bloodstream. When you were found, you were already unconscious. You’ve been in a coma for almost a month now. I am Dr. Mark Hamilton. I’ve been watching over you for a while now. So has my wife.”

            “Your wife?” Christine asked, still speaking in a quiet tone.

            Dr. Hamilton nodded. “My wife, Ray, is your school counselor. She’ll be happy you're awake. I’ll be back, Christine.”

            Christine racked her brain. Oh yeah. I remember. I saw Ray after David hurt me. I think I yelled at her… It hurt Christine to try to think that far back. “Ow,” she said as she tried to sit up in her hospital bed.

            “Christine, don’t try to sit up. It might damage your brain,” Dr. Hamilton warned as he came back inside; Ray following behind him.

            “Christine. I’m so glad you're alive,” Ray said, rushing to her side.

            Christine didn’t say anything, but wondered why this woman seemed to care so much. Christine had seen people acting like they care about her, but she knew it was just courtesy. But this was different. Ray had a motherly feeling to her. The way she stroked Christine’s hair soothingly. Normally, Christine would never have let anyone touch her like this. But now, Christine could not care less. It felt comforting to know that someone cared about her.

            “How is she, Mark?” Ray asked her husband.

            Looking up from his clipboard, he smiled. “Well, she’s going to live, but there is some news Christine.”

            “News?” Christine asked, her voice returning to normal. “What news?”

            Dr. Hamilton shifted uncomfortably. “Well, I, uh. I’m going to send Nurse Kelly in to talk to you about it.”

            Ray stood up and flashed Christine a warm smile. She left the room with her husband.

            Nurse Kelly came in after her. She pinned up a picture of Christine’s insides. Christine noticed something in the picture.

            “What is that?” she asked, pointing to at the odd shape in her X-ray.

            Nurse Kelly sighed. “Christine, that’s your baby. You're pregnant.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            Pregnant. Pregnant. The word was echoing in Christine’s mind. She could barely think. Barely breathe. The machine that was hooked up to her started beeping. The room was swirling before her. She distantly heard Dr. Hamilton and then all color faded.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            “Christine? Christine,” Dr. Hamilton tried to rouse her.

            “Huh?” Her eyes fluttered open. “What happened?” she asked groggily.

            “ You had an anxiety attack when Nurse Kelly told you that you were pregnant.”

            “Oh.” Christine did not know what to say. What could she say?

            Dr. Hamilton asked all the nurses to leave the room. He sat down before her. “Christine, did you have unprotected sex?”

            She dropped her eyes. If you can call it that, she thought angrily. “Yes, I guess you could say that,” she muttered.

            Dr. Hamilton sighed. “Well, you’ll need to be taking prenatal vitamins regularly so the baby will be healthy. We’ll give you a pamphlet on all you’ll need to know about having a baby. Ray can even help—“

            “I’m not having the baby,” Christine interrupted.

            He stopped. What?” he was slightly taken aback.

            “The baby. I’m not having it,” she repeated.

            “What do you mean?” he asked.

            “I want an abortion. Ever heard of it?” she asked rudely.

            “Oh, yes, of course. With your condition, you’ll have to wait about two weeks before having the procedure. You need to stay in the hospital for a few days. We have to keep running some tests to make sure you're completely okay. Which,” he said cautiously, “we’ll have to figure out your living conditions in light of recent circumstances…”

            “Like the death of my mom and sister?” Christine asked bluntly.

            He nodded. “Yes.”

            Christine was putting two and two together. “And by living conditions,” she said slowly,” you mean that…I’m homeless.”

            Dr. Hamilton shifted uncomfortably yet again. “Well, we haven’t found any relatives yet…”

            “That’s because we don’t have anyone else,” Christine replied. “So where do I stay? After I leave here, I mean.”

            He looked at her. “Well, if we can’t find anyone, foster care. Or adoption.”

            Christine scoffed. “I’d die before that happens.”

            The doctor looked at her sharply.

            “Sorry. Too soon, I guess,” she said quickly, forgetting that she almost had died.

            He nodded. “A little. Christine, there is something we need to talk about too.”

            “What is it?”

            He gestured to her wrist. “Those cuts on your arm. Christine, the police found a razor blade in your drawer.”

            She stared at the floor. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

            “Christine, we have to do something.”

            “No,” she said flatly. “Leave me alone.”

            Dr. Hamilton shook his head. “All right. For now, I will leave you be. But we will talk about in the days to come.”

            She shrugged. “Whatever.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            Christine lay in her hospital bed flipping through her magazine that told her about parenting. Dr. Hamilton had not quite understood the idea of her getting an abortion. But he didn’t understand. No one did. And no one would. Plus, David would definitely come after her and the baby anyway. So, she felt like she was doing the child some good. In addition, Christine would never be able to look at the child with love knowing it was part of her rapist ex-boyfriend. She’d probably end up hating it. And that wouldn’t be fair to the child. Christine scoffed. Please, it’s not even a child yet. Otherwise, I’d be killing someone. Far as I am concerned, it’s just a thing. Nothing more than a speck of dirt inside me.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            Dr. Hamilton peered inside the hospital window. Christine had fallen asleep. He sighed deeply. Ray put an arm on his shoulder. “Honey, what’s wrong?”

            He sighed again. “Well, Christine’s pregnant. She wants an abortion.”

            Sadness washed over Ray. “She wants to terminate that little baby’s life?”

            He nodded. “Yes.”

            “But isn’t that normal for a young girl?” Ray asked.

            “Well, yes. But you should have seen the look in her eyes. She really didn’t want it. She loathed  it. It makes me wonder if something happened.”

            Ray raised her eyebrows. “Like she got abused? I mean, I know her home life is horrible…but—“

            “Not abuse, I’m thinking more like…rape.”

            She gasped. “You think?”

            He nodded. “I’m almost sure of it. That would explain Christine’s disgust for the baby.”

            “Well, we have to do something. You can’t let her have the abortion.”

            “And what do you propose I do? Christine has to make the decision and she’s dead set against keeping it.” Dr. Hamilton looked into the window again. “I just wish she would realize just how important this child is.”

            Ray wrapped her arms around her husband. “Well, there is someone that can help her realize.”

            Dr. Hamilton smiled and kissed his wife. “You’re right, Ray. We do know someone.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            Christine had been in the hospital for a day and she already was getting antsy. She was ready to get out of the hospital. “Oh my God! I’m gonna shoot myself!” she said exasperatedly.

            “Well, that wouldn’t be good.”

            Christine turned her head. “Who are you?” she asked rudely.

            “I’m Josh. I volunteer here at the hospital. I was told to ask you if you needed anything.”

            Christine sat up and looked at him. “Yeah, to get out of this freaking hospital would be nice,” she said bitterly.

            Josh smiled. He had a nice smile. Christine began to actually notice this guy. He had brown hair that fell in his eyes. Blue eyes. He was attractive.

            “So, Christine, was there anything else you might need?”

            Christine looked away and sighed. “To not be pregnant.”

            He looked at her. “You're pregnant?”

            She nodded. “But not for long.”

            His face fell. “Oh.”

            “Oh, are you gonna judge me now?” Christine asked accusingly.

            Josh put his hands up in protest. “Hey, whatever you decide is your business. It’s not my place to judge.”

            Christine looked at him. He was serious. “Oh. Okay. Well, other people are judging me.”

            Josh smiled warmly. “Well, I don’t do that.”

            She looked out the window overlooking the city. “No one understands my decision. They wouldn’t get it. Plus it’s not like it’s a baby now. Girls get abortions all the time. Why should I be any different?” All of this came spilling out. It was like Christine was trying to reason with herself.

            Josh looked down the hallway. A doctor motioned him over. “Well, Christine, it was nice meeting you.”

            She didn’t say anything. She was still lost in her thoughts.

            “You know, if you have to sit there and convince yourself why you have to terminate the baby’s life, maybe it’s not the right decision after all. Just a thought,” he added. Then he left.

            Christine let his words echo in her head. She rolled her eyes. “Whatever. Like he’s ever been pregnant.” Still, “terminating” did not sound like a normal everyday thing.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

           

            Christine was wandering mindlessly around the hospital. She felt fine, but Dr. Hamilton insisted she stay at the hospital a few days longer. She was progressing so much, that she wouldn’t have to say too much longer. Gazing at the hospital exit doors, she realized she had nothing to go home to. In fact, she didn’t even have a home.

            All these thoughts were occupying Christine as she walked around. Then, as she looked around, Christine realized she didn’t know where she was. Nor did she remember what floor or what number room she had. Crap, I have no clue where I am!  She thought frantically. Oh man, Oh man.  Then Christine spotted Josh talking to an elderly  man in a wheelchair. Josh was listening to the man intently he seemed to be telling Josh a story about his childhood. Christine smiled at his obvious boredom, but never-faltering smile. That guy sure smiles a lot. He could be an ad for toothpaste…

            Josh looked up from the man and saw Christine staring at him. She darted her eyes away, but he had already seen her looking. He excused himself from the elderly man and walked over to her.

            “So, I seem to be noticing you watching me,” he teased.

            Fighting the blush that crept up on her cheeks, Christine  retorted, “Actually, I was thinking about how you smile too much. Is your face frozen?”

            He shrugged. “Not that I know of. What can I say? I’m just a happy guy.”

            Christine peered at him curiously. “Are you gay?”

            He was taken aback. “Um, no.  I can’t be a happy guy and be straight at the same time?”

            Christine rolled her eyes. “Well, let’s just say I don’t see much of your kind around.”

            Josh raised an eyebrow. “My kind? Jeez, what kind of people are you around?”

            “I’m not. I mean, I’m not around people.”

            “Oh. So uh, did you need something?”

            Christine remembered. “Oh yeah, I need to know where my room is.”

            “Here, I’ll walk you.”

           

            As they approached her room, Josh had said something funny that had  Christine laughing. He looked at her.  “What?” she asked.

            “You're really pretty when you smile. You should try doing it more.”

            She couldn’t help but smile, but it quickly disappeared as she realized who was occupying her room. “David.”

            He stared at her. “Christine. Where have you been? I’ve been waiting for you for fifteen minutes.” He narrowed his eyes at Josh. “Who’re you?” he demanded.

            Josh appeared not to be fazed by David’s rude tone. “Hi, I’m Josh,” he said sticking out his hand. David looked at it disdainfully. Josh dropped his hand and said, “Well, Christine, I guess I’ll talk to you later.” She nodded wordlessly.

            After Josh had left, David turned his attention back on Christine. He shut the door. “And just what was that about?”

            Christine shook her head. “Nothing. I forgot where my room was and he volunteers here…”

            “A likely story,” David retorted. “God, Christine, you walk out on me and then disappear for a month and end up in the hospital?”

            “Oh, excuse me. Did I forget to call you while I was in the coma?” Christine shot back. “God, David, I’ve only been awake for two days!”

            “Wait,” he said slowly. “You’ve been awake for two days?”

            “Yeah. What about it?”

            “And you didn’t call me.”

            “Obviously not.”

            “Well, are you getting out? We have some unfinished business, Christine,” he said threateningly. Christine’s eyes widened as the bit of metal glinted from David’s pocket. She opened her mouth to scream, but he put a finger to her lips menacingly.

            “David, please, don’t,” she pleaded.

            “Shut up Christine. One month ago, I took you in time after time. One mistake after another. I’ve dealt with your disobedience and took you to the finest restaurant in town. Then you repay me by leaving me and stealing my car. And punching me, as I recall.”

            “David, I’m sorry. But it was really important…” she trailed off as he pinned her to the wall. He pulled out his blade.

            “Guess I’ll have to teach you a lesson then, wont I?” He went to cut her, and she suddenly screamed out.

            “David, I’m pregnant!”

            He stopped. “What?” he demanded.

            “I’m preg—“

            “Shut up. I heard you,” he snarled. “How?”

            Christine looked at him as if he was an idiot. “Um, well, gee. How do you think, you moron?”

            “You're not going to have it. You’re getting an abortion. I can’t have this,” he replied.

            Christine nodded. “I know. I am getting an abortion as soon as I can get out of here.”

            “Good. Now, where were we?”

            “You're still going to hurt me  even though I’m pregnant?” she asked, horrified.

            “What does it matter? It’s going to die anyway. I could just kill it.” He stepped forward to slash her stomach.

            “Stay away from me!” she screamed and shoved David into the wall.

            Just then, the door flung open and Josh barreled in, pinning David to the wall. “I think Christine’s made it pretty clear she doesn’t want to see you right now. Why don’t I escort you out of the hospital?” He was surprisingly strong, and was able to divert all of David’s attempted punches.

            Christine stood there in amazement. She had never seen anyone put David in his place. She watched as Josh dragged David out the exit doors and shoved him. He yelled something at David and shut the door.

            Christine sat back on her bed, dizzy from the adrenaline and fear that held her a moment before. The room once again was spinning. She fainted.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            A few minutes later, she woke up in her hospital bed, with an IV hooked up to her. Dr. Hamilton came in.

            “What happened?” Christine asked.

            “That’s what I’d like to know,” he replied. “Josh said he had to kick out a guy because he was bothering you. Did something happen, Christine?”

            Christine opened her mouth to say yes, but her words quickly turned to no. “No, nothing happened. He was just being annoying, that’s all.”

            “Christine, your blood pressure was high, something had to have triggered it. A little fight wouldn’t have done anything.”

            “Well, there’s nothing wrong,” she said loudly. “I’ve been getting dizzy a lot lately.”

            Dr. Hamilton looked at her. “In the mornings?”

            She stared at him. “No, all the time. Why?”

            “Well, when a baby is inside of you, you get dizzy. It’s called morning sickness.”

            “Oh. That explains a lot,” Christine mumbled. “And it’s not a baby.”

            “All right. Get some rest Christine and I’ll come back later to check on you.”

            “Can’t wait,” she said in mock happiness.

            After he left the room, Josh entered.

            “Hey Christine. How are you?” he asked.

            She rolled her eyes. “Just peachy. I love having a needle stabbed in my arm,” she replied sarcastically.

            He ignored her retort. “Did that guy do anything to you, Christine?”

            She stared at him. Yes. “No,” she replied rudely. “He’s just my ex-boyfriend.”

            Christine could tell he didn’t believe her. “Christine. You were scared.”

            She rolled her eyes yet again. “No I wasn’t. As far as I’m concerned, it’s not really any of your business. Now. Get. Out.”

            Josh looked at her and sighed. “Can I get you anything before I leave?”

            “Actually, Cheetos would be great,” she said emotionless.

            Josh laughed and murmured something Christine couldn’t hear.

            “What was that?”

            He smiled. “Have you been wanting Cheetos a lot lately?”

            “Yeah. So?”

            “Well, when you're carrying a baby, moms typically get cravings for a certain kind of food. My mom and her friends used to talk about it when they were pregnant.” He smiled again and left.

            “It’s not a…” Christine started, but was too tired to finish. She closed her eyes. “Baby…it’s not…pregnant…David…” she drifted off into dreamland. Or nightmare world.

 



© 2008 jumbie's #1 fan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A tightly woven context, I wil go back and read from the begining

Posted 12 Years Ago


I'm so glad she has Ray and her husband.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow I seriously hate David he ticks me right off! Gosh and I knew it! As I was reading I kept thinking she was pregnant and to find out she is...I mean wow. This story is definaly uhh-maze-ing!!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So far you've grabbed my attention like a pitbull grabs an arm (I'm loving this story)..lol

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh man. Poor girl :(

Im about ready to take this David out, man. He needs to be in jail, bigtime, or some place worse. This Josh seems like a pretty cool guy, tho. I just hope he sticks to his word, hehe. These chapters keep getting better and better. I so cant wait for the next one. Send it to me!! *Applauds* :) :)

B.A.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow, what a chapter. I'm really anxious to see what happens next and if she goes through with the abortion. Again, you're doing an amazing job with this story. Great work!!!

Heather

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

306 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 27, 2008
Last Updated on August 12, 2008


Author

jumbie's #1 fan
jumbie's #1 fan

Norman, OK



About
All my life, writing has been the one thing I've been good at. Of course, that's an opinion, and it depends on your tastes. Throughout everything in my semi-short life, writing is the one thing that c.. more..

Writing
Home Home

A Poem by jumbie's #1 fan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Goodbye Goodbye

A Poem by Nana Carmine


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by jumbie's #1 fan