The Color of Irony: Silver and Cold

The Color of Irony: Silver and Cold

A Story by jumbie's #1 fan
"

This is a short story I wrote for creative writing. It is based on AFI's Silver And Cold Music Video. If you like the story, watch the video. It will make sense

"

Juli DeLong

Per 7

 

The Color of Irony: Silver and Cold

 

The water is calm, with a ripple every now and then. He watches as black birds fly over the lake. Oddly enough, the birds do not make a sound. No, they glide over the dark water. As he gazes down at the body of water below him, Davey thinks of all that has happened in the past few weeks. The death of his parents, the loss of his girlfriend to his older brother, and on top of that, he was fired by the record company.

Everything in Davey’s life was falling apart. Here he was in the exquisite city of Prague, and he can’tt even enjoy it. With his back against a pillar, Davey once again looks at the water. About some 20 yards out, he can distinctly make out  a man sitting in a little gray rowboat. Glancing at his watch, Davey looks at his hands. His eyes glaze over as he remembers the conversation he had a few minutes ago with his best friend Jade.

 

Davey had walked along the Manesuv Most Bridge and over to an empty phone booth. He knew that his closest friends, Jade, Adam, and Hunter were down at the café, waiting for Davey to show up. Little had they known, Davey didn’t ever intend to make an appearance. He had dialed the number to the café, in hopes that Jade would pick up.

“Hello?” A man’s raspy voice answered the phone.

Davey was quiet. “May I speak to Jade Puget?” he asked, finally.

“Yeah, hold on.” The man covered the receiver. “Hey, is there a Jade Puget in here?”

Jade stood up. “Yeah, that’s me.”

“You got a phone call.” The man handed the phone to Jade.

Jade hesitantly picked up the phone. “Hello?”

“Jade.”

Jade was relieved. “Davey, oh man, it’s you. Where are you? I thought you said you’d be here.”

“Jade, I’m not coming,” Davey said as he tucked his wavy black hair behind his ears.

Adam and Hunter both looked up from their coffee as they noticed the change in Jade’s expression. “What do you mean, you’re not coming?” Jade asked, his voice damp with worry.

Davey pressed his head against the glass wall of the phone booth. It was cold. “I just…I…I can’t take this anymore. I’m finished.”

“Finished? What do you mean?” Jade fretted as he motioned to Adam and Hunter.

“I’m on the bridge. I’m sorry, Jade.” Davey hung up the phone. He exited the booth and walked to the edge of the bridge.

Jade hung up the phone. “It’s Davey,” he said to Adam and Hunter. “He’s on the bridge. He’s gonna jump. We have to go!” All three of the guys grabbed their coats and rushed out of the café as fast as they could. They ran passed a car, but then Jade stopped. “There’s no time!” Adam ripped open the door of the car and they all piled in. The keys were in the car, so Adam sped off into the streets to find Davey before it was too late.

 

So there he was, standing on the edge of the bridge. As the time grew near to noon, Davey was preparing himself to jump. Taking one last glance at his watch, he unhooks the clasp that holds it together and dropps the watch into the lake. Davey looks around at the empty bridge. He slowly unbottons his black jacket and removes it. He moves a little closer to the ledge. As he gazes into the dark water, a tear rolls down his cheek and onto his lips. He run his tongue over his lip ring, and tastes the salty tear.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Did he say why he was on the bridge?” Hunter asks as the car speed increases.

            Adam shakes his head as he steps on the gas pedal. “No, he just said he was finished. We have to find him!” He turns sharply, causing the brakes to screech rather loudly on the empty streets.

            “Do you think he would? Jump, I mean,” Jade asks, frightened.

            Adam’s eyebrows furrow. “Given the circumstances, I wouldn’t put it past him.” Suddenly he slams on the brakes as a small car comes out of nowhere. He exhales. “That was close. We’re almost to the bridge.” Once again, the speed of the car increases.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The calm water is looking ever so inviting to Davey. He can see his reflection in the glass-like water. He stares down at the man that he has become. Covered in tattoos and clad in black, it is almost astonishing Davey can be so broken. To an outsider, Davey looks menacing and intimidating. But inside, he is growinging weaker, barely able to hold on. The sky was growing darker. How fitting, he thinks bitterly to himself. He looks at his hand and notices the ring his ex had given him. Slipping it off his finger, he lets it fall from his hands and plunge into the water beneath him.

The splash mades him think of other people in his life. Jade, his best friend who has always been there for him. Adam and Hunter too. All of them came to the funeral of Davey’s parents. Davey can remember staying up late in the studio with the guys and rehearsing their songs. These were the people that he used to joke around and sign autographs with. They were the ones who kept him alive, no matter what life threw his way.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“There he is!” Jade points from the backseat of the speeding car.

            “Drive faster! He’s getting ready to jump!” Hunter shouts.

            Adam floors the car. He can see Davey on the edge of the bridge. Almost there, he thinks as he grinds his teeth and grips the steering wheel. He’s going to be okay. We’re gonna save him. I won’t let him---

            “ADAM! LOOK OUT!!!” Jade screams.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Davey sighs. It’s not worth it. It will get better. He takes one last look at the inviting water. No, he thinks defiantly. He picks up his jacket just as a deafening explosion happens just down the street. Without a glance back at the explosion, Davey walks off the ledge. He smells the smoke, but doesn’t turn around.

He puts on the jacket and jams his hands into the pockets of his pants. He walks past the explosion. Sirens sound in Davey’s ears as he heads toward the café.

 

 

 

© 2009 jumbie's #1 fan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lol, this was SOOOO frustrating to read! Lol.
You're good at getting me all excited then cutting me off..
You're Literarily Teasing me!
LOL
Its like sexual frustration, only...
different

Posted 15 Years Ago


That has got to be the most depressing thing I have ever read.
Gotta love "Life hate me" irony, though =/

Posted 15 Years Ago


wow awesome

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

267 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 1, 2009
Last Updated on February 4, 2009

Author

jumbie's #1 fan
jumbie's #1 fan

Norman, OK



About
All my life, writing has been the one thing I've been good at. Of course, that's an opinion, and it depends on your tastes. Throughout everything in my semi-short life, writing is the one thing that c.. more..

Writing
Home Home

A Poem by jumbie's #1 fan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..