Ward Neglected by Voluntary Guardian

Ward Neglected by Voluntary Guardian

A Story by Juan Valdez
"

An account of negligence.

"

Hello, my name is Juan Valdez. I have been neglected. True Colors Residence, an organization that works with Section 8 to house homeless LGBT youth accepted my tenancy. True Colors Residence had me hospitalized at Harlem Hospital after their licensed social worker Melaney Mashburn and the building manager Kimberley Marshall observed that I was experiencing mental health problems. Harlem Hospital released me into the custody of True Colors Residence after diagnosing me with schizophrenia. True Colors Residence neglected me by allowing to keep control of my expenses. They were aware that I was schizophrenic and displaying risky behaviors. I was evicted from my apartment, which was payed for by public assistance, and escorted out of the building by a court Marshall. That whole time no one, not even me, was aware that this action was an injustice. I was later arrested by the NYPD for sleeping in the subway terminal. I was evaluated and transported to South Beach Psychiatric Center. I was in the South Beach Program for over a year. I was released into the custody of Catholic Charities Beacon of Hope. I ran away and engaged in risky behaviors. I assume they didn’t call the NYPD when I left the program. I was hospitalized many times while living outside and was never returned to Beacon of Hope. After getting lost on Laguardia Airport property I was picked up by the NYPD and after questioning hospitalized at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center. I called my parents and they traveled from Florida to New York to come get me. After moving in with them in Florida I was still displaying symptoms and being rebellious, so they called the Police. My father opened a guardianship case and I was evaluated by three doctors and deemed disabled by schizophrenia. I am now lucid after treatment and able to asses that I have been neglected by the system. As my first guardian, proven by the Harlem Hospital custody form signed by Melaney Mashburn on the behalf of True Colors Residence, I should have never been evicted from my apartment. I want True Colors Residence, and all of the parties that neglected to see that I was being neglected to take responsibility.

© 2016 Juan Valdez


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on December 15, 2016
Last Updated on December 16, 2016
Tags: True Colors Residence, Juan Valdez, NYC

Author

Juan Valdez
Juan Valdez

About
I am a hobbyist. more..

Writing
Success Success

A Story by Juan Valdez


Action Action

A Story by Juan Valdez