The Phone Call

The Phone Call

A Chapter by Jeremy Hiles
"

The new night guard receives a mysterious phone call.

"

I sat down in the chair and grabbed one of my books, Frankenstein.  It had always been a favorite of mine, and I figured I could read it during the slow, quietness of the night.  I was sitting comfortably in the chair, which I found could recline slightly for added comfort, and was just getting into the book, near the end of the first chapter.  Suddenly the phone rang out, loudly.  I jumped, nearly dropping my book.  My heart was racing from the surprise and the volume of the phone ringing.  I groped for the phone and picked it up with a shaky hand. 


“Hello?” I said.  


“Hello, hello?  Hey, uh, I was told to record a message for you, to help you get all settled in for your first night.  I actually have worked in that office, and am currently on the day shift.  I think we are supposed to alternate shifts at some point or something.  Anyway, I know, it can get a bit overwhelming, and sometimes creepy, but I want you to know there is nothing for you to worry about.  Uh, you will be fine, so let’s just focus on getting you through your first week here, okay?” 


I sat there, somewhat worried and somewhat reassured at the same time.


“So, first there’s an introductory greeting from the company that I am supposed to read, kinda a legal thing, you know.  “Welcome to Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza.  A magical place for kids and grownups alike, where fantasy and fun come to life.  Fazbear Entertainment is not responsible for damage to property or person.  Upon discovering that damage or death has occurred, a missing person report will be filed within 90 days, or as soon as property and premises have been thoroughly cleaned and bleached, and the carpets have been replaced.”  


I sat in shock, almost not even hearing what this guy was saying.  Why such specific procedures for missing persons? This had to be a joke.  The guy on the phone continued on.


“That might sound bad, but there is really nothing to worry about.  Sure the animatronics might get a bit….quirky at night, but remember, these characters hold a special place in the hearts of children and we need to show them a little respect, okay?”


“Now, just keep in mind, the animatronics to tend to uh, wander a bit at night.  They are left in like a free roaming mode.  Uh…something about their servos locking up if they are turned off for too long.  Sometimes we even let them walk around during the day for special events; the kids love it, getting to walk around with their favorite characters.”  Well I thought that made sense, in a way.  It would be a big deal to see these things walking around.


“Now, uh, for some reason, when these characters are wandering around at night, they tend to be drawn towards noises and lights, probably because they are programmed to entertain our guests for their parties, so they are looking for the party.  Um…they probably will try to come into your office, but if they get close, just close the doors and they should wander away again.  Otherwise you could be subjected to them singing those songs they sing all day long, ugh.  I shudder to think of that…. Anyway, uh, just remember, check on the cameras, keep an eye on those animatronics, and only close the doors when you absolutely have to, gotta conserve power. I’ll chat with ya tomorrow, good night.”


I sat the phone back down on the cradle, and leaned back in my chair, trying to absorb everything I had just heard.  It had to be some kind of elaborate prank on the part of the other workers.  It had to be their way of bringing in a new worker, trying to scare me on my first night on the job.  I sat there for several minutes, just trying to calm down, let my heart rate settle down, get my breathing under control, and relax a bit.  I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. 


I stepped out into the hallway and walked towards the front of the building.  Most of the lights had been turned off, to conserve power no doubt.  But there were still a few lights on here and there just to keep the building from being pitch black.  These lights gave off a slightly yellow, slightly pale glow.  They certainly didn’t help me feel calm; the lights cast an eerie glow around the room, which only served to make me feel uneasy again.  


I turned and walked down another hallway, towards the party room where the animatronics were supposed to be.  I don’t know why, but I guess out of some mixture of fear, caution, and naiveté, I tip toed towards the door.  Ever so slowly, I peered around the corner.  My eyes looked over the room, past the tables, across the chairs, over the decorations, and up to the stage.  The animatronics were still there.  


I breathed a sigh of relief and let out the breath that I had not noticed I had been holding.  Feeling more confident, and certainly more at ease, I walked back to my office with a bounce in my step.  I had faced my fears, which had been undoubtedly manipulated by my coworkers, and I had shown that I would not be scared off by some story that animatronics could actually walk around of their own free will.  Feeling proud of this fact, I plopped down in my chair, grabbed my book, and put my feet on my desk as I leaned back in the chair. 


I pushed the phone call from my mind and started back on my book.  After reading another chapter, I glanced at my watch: 12:48.  I took a quick look at the monitors on the wall.  Party room; check.  Hallways; clear.  The stage; all animatronics where they were supposed to be, no surprise there.  I looked over the other screens for the remaining rooms, and happened to glance back at the one for the stage.  My heart skipped a beat.  I blinked my eyes hard and then looked back.  Chica was nowhere to be seen.



© 2015 Jeremy Hiles


Author's Note

Jeremy Hiles
The fan fiction goes even farther!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awesome! I like how you build the tension, you don't let us have it all in the first chapter or two, we have to wait a couple of chapters before things start getting spooky! Really enjoying this and looking forward to more! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jeremy Hiles

8 Years Ago

Glad you like it! I take it you have read all of the other chapters then?
Kimberly Miller

8 Years Ago

Yep! I got caught up! :)
Jeremy Hiles

8 Years Ago

Awesome! Glad to hear!
^^ I enjoyed reading. A very interesting call to have lol, does that happen in the game as well? I liked the scene where he was nervous when checking the stage because of the call. xD guess he believes now that it isn't a prank lol

Good Job

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jeremy Hiles

8 Years Ago

Glad you enjoyed it! Yes, the phone call is in the game, I took part of the call straight from the .. read more
~*~Peace Keeper~*~

8 Years Ago

^^ haha well that makes sense, haha yep no doubt in his mind lol
Jeremy Hiles

8 Years Ago

haha for sure!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 8, 2015
Last Updated on August 8, 2015
Tags: 5 Nights at Freddys, Five, Nights, Freddys, Fazbear, Chica, Bonnie, Foxy


Author

Jeremy Hiles
Jeremy Hiles

Kathleen, FL



About
I enjoy reading and writing most all genres. I have written several short stories and am currently working on two books, as well as another story that very well could end up becoming a book too. I l.. more..

Writing