Black Dawn

Black Dawn

A Chapter by Beemo

[Chapter 5] “Black Dawn, Claudius, and an Awakening”

Upon awakening Shaknu’s eyes first caught sight of Oli’, who was sitting down on the dirt floor of the quarters with his head resting upon the walls. His right arm was propped up on his right knee with his left leg stretched out. The voice of the being from the strange forest echoed through Shaknu’s head, “A loud bang will burst out from the forest.” Shaknu’s head was throbbing so hard he could barely see straight, his back and chest ached something horrible. Shaknu made an attempt to sit himself upright upon the damp sheets below him, trying this in a dazed and confused state he didn’t realize that the ceiling was just above him. BONG! Was the sound of his head hitting the metal bars from the bunk above him. Amarina hurried to his side gently tilting his head back to rest upon a sack stuffed with grass. “You must rest you hit your head hard out there.” She said with a smile on her face. “That wind from the forest was powerful, unlike anything I’ve seen before.” Said Justice, who was standing at the foot of the bed shaking his head.             “These things are a foreshadowing of what will follow.” Echoed through Shaknu’s head, chills ran down his spine along with the drops of cold sweat which poured down the side of his face like a tropical storm. “The day before the attack I accompanied Lilho on a walk.” Said Shaknu to introduce his narrative, he continued on telling the others about the forest and the creature which stopped them on the road. He also told them everything that the creature said would happen and the things that had already happened. As he was talking Ja’Quil who had just entered the room, said in a frightened tone “The sun, it hasn’t come up in hours and the sky, the clouds have no color in them they’re just black. Some of the clouds have flashes of red in them.” Upon hearing this Shaknu sat up quickly, but this time remembering not to hit his head, and slowly with the aid of Amarina made his way outside to meet the others.

After leaving the quarters Shaknu took in the disaster which the being in the forest had said, “Breaking trees, destroying buildings and injuring thousands.” Trees were lying all around the camp and the area around it, stumps and tree roots all torn up and thrown about. The small slave quarters on the north and western parts of the camp had been obliterated as well as the camp circle. Many people lay around them screaming in agonizing pain from being scrapped up by the fragmented tree bark that were sticking out of their hands, legs, arms, and feet. “Look, just as he said, the black dawn this can only mean that the balls of fire and boiling rain will soon follow.” Said Shaknu in a grim tone, he also noticed that there wasn’t any sight of the slave drivers or the Amberceezian warriors. He didn’t hear the sound of the whip of the task master. Then he recalled, “But, this Black Dawn might also become a beacon of hope it might provide escape… if you make the right decision.” Shaknu then said in a determined tone of voice, “We leave for Krakatoa, we depart in an hour so get packing.” “Krakatoa is a dwarf city, we’re Miticeezians and we will not contaminate and intermingle ourselves with the likes of dwarves!” cried a Miticeezian local whom Shaknu recognized as being Claudius Morphius, a popular merchant about a year or two older than Shaknu. “This one Shaknu and his brother Justice, along with Oli’ and Ja’Quil, their families lost Fletchingburg and didn’t even try to defend the name of Miticeez.” Said Claudius scornfully, at hearing this a crowd of the slaves of the camp gathered around to hear the words of Claudius. “But their families made a SHOW of being ‘kind’ and ‘caring’ but they revealed their true colors when we were attacked.” Shaknu observed the heads of some of those in the crowds nodding and they began murmuring amongst themselves. Shaknu’s determined facial expression changed into a fiery glare which was set upon Claudius. Claudius being the arrogant person he is would pose a problem and Shaknu as well as the others knew this. Shaknu walked over and stood eye to eye with Claudius, “I said what I meant so get your stuff and be prepared to leave with the rest of us.” Slightly bowing his head and sarcastically retorted “Sure thing MY LORD. But tell me what will occur if I choose not to go, MY LORD?” Justice could see his brother’s muscles tense and the fingers on his left hand straighten preparing to deliver a back hand slap to Claudius. Justice stepped splitting the two apart, “Men, brothers we are all Miticeezians let us not become unreasonable and keep the peace among us.” Shaknu’s gaze never left Claudius who was now giving a sly smirk, fortunate that Justice stepped in when he did otherwise Claudius wouldn’t have a mouth to smirk with, let alone a head. “Let us appoint a leader who will lead us to new territory and establish new Miticeez.” yelled one of the men of the crowd. “Yes, he is right, who might be fit for this position?”  asked Claudius who obviously wanted himself to inherit this role, his mind clouded by his ambition and narcissism stirred the crowd into an uproar.

“Let us appoint Claudius, my brother, he was the one that spoke out against the betrayal of the royal families in Fletchingburg. The royal families were also snobby nosed brats who wouldn’t help anyone but the rich and prominent. When my brother and I needed help to support our families, they lent no help no matter how hard we pleaded and begged. Let him be our leader, he can do more than what these heathen sons of the former families. Is he not also tall, strong and above all Miticeezian? Do you not agree?” cried Elbon Morphius, Claudius’s brother. The crowd roared in unison as to symbolize their agreement the appointing of Claudius as the new leader. Justice incensed said, “Stop misleading these people Elbon, you know you aren’t pure blood Miticeezians, now don’t you?” Elbon’s face became pale as the crowd went from praising him and his brother to second guessing the trustworthiness. “Um, well um,” stuttered Elbon. “Tell them the truth, you know the reason why our parents didn’t help you and you know why we let you and your family suffer. So why don’t you shed some light on that bold faced lie you’re proclaiming?” asked Shaknu. “No, no you’re a lying heathen of a dog, and you shall be banished from all that is Miticeez and your soul will be demanded forever until it is brought to me on a silver plate. Kill them!” yelled Claudius. Without warning the crowd became a mob and began to lay hold to Shaknu, Justice, Oli’ and Ja’Quil. They threw them to the ground and began mobbing them throwing punches, kicking them, some grabbed thick branches, others used the blunt ends of the stakes of the tents. They hit the four as hard as they could for more than five minutes, after they finished their ruthless onslaught; they tossed their former leaders they reduced to refuse. Claudius then walked over and looked at the four obviously feeling proud of himself, he then noticed at his feet that Shaknu was struggling to his feet barely making it to his knees. He stooped down and said, “Oh by the way, I know I’m not a full blooded Miticeezian.” Shaknu’s eyes widened, he had only said that to sway the people to his side the fact that it was true was disturbing to the thought of Shaknu. “You have really given me a new light on what I have in store for me in the future. My family isn’t Miticeezian at all in fact; my family is the stuff of legend unlike you primitive apes who claim to be a mighty city. Can you say that now when your capital has been reduced to rubble?” Claudius then asked him “I want to show you something.” He took a sharp branch and cut himself up the length of his arm, and began peeling his skin off his arm bit by bit. Shaknu sick to his stomach watched in horror as the semi-dark Miticeezian skin, to the yellow skin of a full blooded, Amberceezian.

 

 

 

 

 



© 2013 Beemo


Author's Note

Beemo
Darkness Has Fallen Part II of Book 1
Coming soon to Writers Cafe

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a little confusing in the beginning. be more descriptive as to where they are - inside or outside. Then you could also give more emotion and detail of when the person is describing the sight outside. This sounds interesting and i might read it from the beginning. but this is just my view from this chapter

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beemo

10 Years Ago

Thanks, i'll begin fixing the story.
Beemo

10 Years Ago

It might also help to read the chapter before, and if need be the whole story. Instead of posting ev.. read more
Darkening Shadow

10 Years Ago

ok



Reviews

This is a little confusing in the beginning. be more descriptive as to where they are - inside or outside. Then you could also give more emotion and detail of when the person is describing the sight outside. This sounds interesting and i might read it from the beginning. but this is just my view from this chapter

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beemo

10 Years Ago

Thanks, i'll begin fixing the story.
Beemo

10 Years Ago

It might also help to read the chapter before, and if need be the whole story. Instead of posting ev.. read more
Darkening Shadow

10 Years Ago

ok

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 20, 2013
Last Updated on May 20, 2013