ILLUSIVE REFUGE

ILLUSIVE REFUGE

A Poem by Sir Joe
"

The real is realized but comfort comforts

"

 

The raucous here and now

Is definitely

Deafeningly bothering!

It thunders my consciousness

As I reside in its scope.

 

Define reality.

Fair to them, not to me?

Fie! Matter it does not

For another domain

Caters my existence.

 

There, there’s enchantment,

Freedom unrestrained,

Mirage thingamabob

Beyond man’s thinking

Or God’s conception.

 

The real is realized

But comfort comforts.

Being boxed and at ease,

I doubted if I

Should ever come back.

© 2013 Sir Joe


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This for me is a monologue of the consciousness (ego) that is in the middle of realization about reality in the material world and about existence. As to the form and choice of words, surprising it is that after two poems this week, you would exhibit rapid growth, you have evolved from being a young soul into a matured one not just in term of form but also in term of argument and or message that you were trying to convey.

I have the same sentiment in a matter of defining reality, but I have also to bear in mind the fact that beyond raucous reality there still exists the law of naturalism which is worse, so I have to understand and embrace life as it is. As for the thought that I have grasped in this powerful piece, it will be the poetic persona’s choice if (s)he will come back or just allow himself/herself to be boxed and be at the comfort of the comfort ( needs and wants) provided by another domain. Freedom anyway is not detachment from anything, but it is making a choice or making an act on something and the readiness to bear the consequences of the own choice and/or action. If the other domain can provide the poetic persona 's needs to better define his/her existence, then nothing wrong with being in the refuge of another domain.


Posted 11 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Belle

11 Years Ago

What I have said is only my reaction after reading your poetry. I liked the piece Li'l Brother, very.. read more
Belle

11 Years Ago

Correction : What I have said is only my reaction after reading your poetry, it only means that at s.. read more
Sir Joe

11 Years Ago

Hehehe your reaction is greatly appreciated, ate Belle. =)
How overwhelming!
That's why .. read more



Reviews

A very thought invoking poem...really loved it..

Posted 10 Years Ago


Sir Joe

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Tatal. =)
Sir Joe...I have not previously read you, but I feel that that might be soon changing. I was reviewing the winners in Helena's recent "Frostian" contest (of whom I am one), and read yours, and was quite taken with it, though the Frost connection was to my aged eye somewhat obscure. I read the discussion on your use of the word "fie", and I was impressed that a writer as young as yourself was able to stick to his guns so effectively, to defend his position. If you would like to read more of a writer who uses archaisms quite regularly, I invite you to read me to your heart's delight; I have long preferrred the writers of the 18th and 19th Centuries to those of the 20th and 21st! I saw several blocks of copy in these comments that I was unsure as to the meaning of; was it Tagalog, from which I would infer that you are Filipino?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sir Joe

10 Years Ago

Sir Mark, thank you for reading this poem of mine and for reviewing it at the same time. I'm honored.. read more
Reality to me is whatever one chooses to make it. We all to often allow society to dictate what we should and should not do, eat, wear, listen to. To me, my reality is made up of the people I love and the friends I hold dear. My domain is the world in which I was born, not just the city or the state I was born in nor just the people I choose to keep closest to me. For me it's more about being in touch with ones self so as to better share ones self with those that choose to include you as a friend or a loved on. Cherish this gift of yours for as far as I can see you are using it well. This is a very well written and thought out piece and each person who reads it will take from it a different meaning. That,is the mark of a true poet. An ability to convey their own feelings yet still allow the reader to interpret the piece in his/her own way...! Awesome!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sir Joe

10 Years Ago

That is overwhelming, Realmwriter. Thank you so much for your kind words.
=) I'm so honored to.. read more
realmwriter

10 Years Ago

You are most welcome. It was an honor to read and review your piece...!
Well written and a wonderful read. Well thought out and all in all a superb poem. Thank you for submitting this to the contest!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Helena

10 Years Ago

lol, you had better believe it sir joe. Well deserved poet!
Sir Joe

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much! =)
Helena

10 Years Ago

You are most welcome.
pards..i keep on reading all of your new poems(to me cause i'm new here.haha.) astig tlga andmi n ng poems m d2!frustrations pardz?hehe..this friend of mine is really great!in everything!learn from his work!yeah.haha.:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Sir Joe

10 Years Ago

Thanks pards. hehehe always text me when you are online. Wait for my review of your works. =) I'll a.. read more
but can we find comfort in realization...maybe the realization that our world is not this one..and something great is waiting for us on some other plane of existence.

like this...like the "thingamabob"

the very end of the poem sounds like Frost's "the road not taken"

"way will lead on to way"

we probably will never come back.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sir Joe

11 Years Ago

Thank you for your words of wisdom, Sir Jacob. =)
I appreciate you effort in reading my poems... read more
Not bad. You manage to get your point across very well and you use some great imagery here, but I really don't like that 'fie' in the middle of the second stanza - it seems much too archaic and I think it somewhat ruins the mood.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sir Joe

11 Years Ago

I understand your point. But I think I have to stick to the position of the word "fie" in my poem. I.. read more
Daisie Vergara (Dhaye)

11 Years Ago

It's okay. It is only my opinion. Anyway, you are the writer, you still have to follow your thought.. read more
Sir Joe

11 Years Ago

Hahaha Anyway, thank you for your words. I appreciate your comments. I'm also a fan of Shakespeare's.. read more
The poem is written with a old mind and style. I like the way you led the reader into thoughts and struggle. In life we learn many things. We must bend and flex to know some type of happiness. I like the flow of thoughts and the realistic ending. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sir Joe

11 Years Ago

Thank you, Coyote Poetry!
=)
A very thought invoking piece! Great job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sir Joe

11 Years Ago

thank you!! =)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
This poem the is as elusive as its illusionary scope… so i interpret it on how I understand:

First stanza ~ I think it speaks to the bothering mistakes followed by the bothering voices in our head as it thunders its regrets….

Second stanza ~ Reality is never once fair, the least for me… but really doesn’t even matter like you said… well it depends on the person’s free will… maybe this illusive refuge you talk about is about our dreams & fantasy…. An escape to all those problems that bothers us….

Third stanza ~ I guess that’s the power of our imagination… it seeks beyond more… the seeker in us that is always on search for meaning and purpose… it’s the freedom of our thoughts to fly everywhere without any hindrance…

Forth stanza ~ you end the poem in such intriguing note “I doubted if I should ever come back” – sometimes reality holds us down & societies unnecessary’ s concept makes us think twice… so coming back to the comfort zone is much as best for the moment…

I hope I understand your profound poem.
Great one kabayan!


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sir Joe

11 Years Ago

That is a very in-depth interpretation, Kabayan. That is why I am always glad when you review my wor.. read more
Pax

11 Years Ago

ayan may utang ka na...lolz... anyways... your always welcome... i learned from my best couch ate be.. read more
Sir Joe

11 Years Ago

You're most welcome. I hope that the three of us meet at once. =)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

760 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 27, 2013
Last Updated on March 27, 2013
Tags: illusion, reality, comfort zone, refuge, imagination

Author

Sir Joe
Sir Joe

Stoneville, Oragonland, Pearl of the Orient Seas, Philippines



About
Writing is one way I preserve memories, ideas, thoughts, and moments. When I write, I feel I keep a record of the pieces of my existence. Through writing, my deepest emotions become unrestrained, the .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..