Inanimate

Inanimate

A Stage Play by Joe
"

Play I had written for my high school senior year AP English course. Enjoy!

"

Two classmates, Jimmy and Wanda are walking through the park. Jimmy is down-to-earth and well educated, and Wanda, to be frank, is not. This was a sunny afternoon, but as they walked, clouds formed overhead. It starts to rain, so they walk inside a nearby pizzeria. Just as they walk in, it starts to pour.


Jimmy: Whew, that was a close one.


Wanda: Yeah, I mean, I hate getting drenched.


Jimmy: Oh, you hate everything. I mean really now, you hate the rain? It’s something necessary for �"


Wanda: “The earth to become fertile,” yeah I know I’ve heard it before.


Jimmy: You never wanna hear anything!


Wanda: Nope. I just want to aimlessly get through my days. I mean, like seriously, who takes their days seriously?


Jimmy: (to waiter) I’ll have a chicken slice. You gettin’ anything?


Wanda: Yeah. Gimme a Sicilian.


Jimmy: Ya know somethin’? You got nice eyes.


Wanda: What’s that supposed to mean? I don’t care what you say, you’re not getting in my pants.

Jimmy: Oh, no, I mean I’m not trying to. I just never really noticed. I mean, s**t we’ve been going to the same high school now for four years and I’ve never taken a good look into ‘em.


Wanda: I think you think too much, Jimbo. Any more interesting details you got?


Jimmy: Well, yeah, look at this pizza. (to waiter) Thanks.


Wanda: Yea? Whattabout it?


Jimmy: Look at this here knife I got. I can cut my pizza right down the middle and get two mini slices. You can cut your Sicilian in four squares.


Wanda: What the hell are you talkin’ about?


Jimmy: Look now, put your eye at the edge of the table. For my slice, it’s just a simple line, even though it’s really a triangle from standing above it. That’s all. For your slice, it’s a great big chunk no matter how you look at it.


Wanda: Whatever you say.


Jimmy: No, seriously, now look, see this here nickel? It’s a nickel now, but if I place it flat on the table and place my eye at the edge, it’s a line! How f****n’ cool is that!


Wanda: You’ve got way too much time on your hands.


Jimmy: No, actually, I have it all on my wrist.... you do like my Swiss watch, right?


Wanda: I think the cheese on this slice is Swiss too. Yuck.


Jimmy: All I’m sayin’ is this stuff is so cool. Something could be 3D one sec, and the next, it’s 2D, dependin’ on how you look at it!


Wanda: Jim, look, I don’t care what you say, I’m just trying to eat.


Jimmy: Looks like the rain is stopping now.


Wanda: Yea, good. I’m leavin’ after I’m done �"


Jimmy: Where are you going to college next year?


Wanda: Oh I dunno. Somewhere in Troy.


Jimmy: New York?


Wanda: Duh.


Jimmy: Have you visited it?


Wanda: Nah, I’ll be spending the next four years there so I’ll have plenty of time to look around.


Jimmy: Will you?


Wanda: Look around? Of course I will.


Jimmy: No, I mean, have time.


Wanda: I have all the time in the world, Jimbo.


Jimmy: Depends on how you look at it, I guess.


Wanda: Would you stop saying that?


Jimmy: Why should I?


Wanda: Because. I don’t feel like talking anymore.


Jimmy: Okay, so what do you feel like talking about?


Wanda: How I can’t wait ‘til graduation.


Jimmy: Oh yeah? Whys that?


Wanda: Can’t wait to get out in the world. Make a name for myself. Ya know. The usual stuff people do when they attend and graduate college.


Jimmy: Everyone is differ�"


Wanda: And I can’t wait to set up my own law firm. I’ll be truly happy then.


Jimmy: Is becoming a lawyer something you’d like to do?


Wanda: Well yea, obviously. And it’ll get me some good money.


Jimmy: I heard passing the BAR isn’t exactly a walk in the park.


Wanda: It’s a piece of cake.


Jimmy: Really? You want some? I don’t think they have desserts at this place.


Wanda: Would you stop that?


Jimmy: Why should I?


Wanda: It’s annoying. So yeah, becoming a lawyer will make me happy.


Jimmy: For the money, of course.


Wanda: That’s all there is to it.


Jimmy: Money isn’t exactly the means to happiness. Take this here napkin. So many times it’s neglected as being a rag to wipe the snot out of people’s noses. Seriously. But its true longing is to absorb something and clean it up. That’s all it is intended for.


Wanda: You’ve gone f****n’ nuts.


Jimmy: I have two and they’re quite firm, thank you very much. I’m just sayin’ think before you speak. And money isn’t everything. You’ve gotta try and find your true longing; you know… who you really are.


Wanda: Alright, Jimbo! I have plenty of time to do that. I’ll go home now, I’m tired and want to take a nice long sleep. Today has been seemingly the longest day ever. I’m so tired I wish I could just sleep forever.


Jimmy: Okay, Wanda. Whatever you say.

© 2011 Joe


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on April 9, 2011
Last Updated on April 9, 2011

Author

Joe
Joe

New York, NY



Writing
Circular Logic Circular Logic

A Poem by Joe