Dark Skies

Dark Skies

A Story by John Parker

Dark Skies: Part One

 

His eyes strained as they peer down the pitch black abyss of the corridor that lie ahead of him.  Something vile lies within the confines of the walls of the test facility.  Putrid scents of decaying flesh and congealed blood flowed upwards out of the darkness.  Uneasiness crept up his back and right into his mind.  It was in there and it was waiting on him.  Two days ago he had seen her from a distance.  As he had stood on the ridge he had known she was watching him also.  She could have been upon him with in seconds if she had wanted too.  But, she was playing a game with him and he knew it.  There weren’t many humans left and she was playing the game cats play with their meals with them.  Letting go and run for a minute then bringing them back and holding them within her clutches again.  The scientists were wrong these creatures were smart.  They should have known that from day one; but they were too caught up in making more of them.  The first time the world had laid there eyes upon the United States new war machines; so to call them, they awed at the possibility that man could have brought them back to life and could control them for their own gain.  But, they were wrong.  They did bring them back to life, yet they would never control them.  These were the creatures of the devils own making.  They lived in the dark hundreds of thousands of years before our kind ever stepped foot on this rock.  We did bring them to their demise at one time and made them myths.  But, now they were doing the same in return to us.  Suddenly the gun in his hand begins to shake.  It was time he knew he couldn’t wait much longer.  She could lay in there for weeks waiting on him.  But, the food that was stored in there was his only chance of survival.  Food wasn’t that easy to come by now and neither was the precious water that was stored within these walls either.  The creatures that rule this land now made it almost impossible for anything breathing to survive.  Fields of crops lay to waste by their breath, rivers and lakes made undrinkable from their urination and the air had became so heavy with sulfur that it was almost impossible to breath.  Looking around he notices a youngling approaching in the Northern sky.  There was no time to waste; he had a better chance of survival with the large adult female than he did with a youngling.  They did not play games.  The only thing on their minds was to eat and grow stronger, even if it meant eating one of their own.  Quickly, but quietly making his way into the entrance he could finally hear her breath coming from deep within the compound.  Damn, it was hard to make out what was what within the looming darkness ahead, but he dared not light a match to help him see.  Maybe within the darkness he could sneak past her; unless she decided to light up the compound.  Trying not to make an abrupt movements he makes his way down the long corridor every once and a while finding his foot landing upon a rotting corpse.  Oh God this could end up being his fate; being one of the rotting corpses lying on the ground or he could be her next dinner or he could go back out and starve to death not even haven tried to get to the food.  He knew what his choice was and it was worth dying for.  He was going to be one of the survivors even if it meant being on the run and hiding for the rest of his life. 

 

 

 

 

 

Part Two

 

     A scraping sound seeps out from the black room ahead.  He’d heard this sound before; it was the swishing of her large tail as it passed back and forth across the tile floor.  In his mind he could clearly remember the size of that thing; as he had watched her pass through the woods below him the other day.  Damn, it was twice as long as a Cadillac and had to be a good two feet thick in most spots.  She was a mammoth beast and could take down a full grown elephant without even trying.  But, her tail wasn’t what was sending fear through his heart; it was those talons of hers.  If she grabbed him it would be the end right then and there.  There would be no waiting for those massive teeth to sink into his skin.  Those talons would pierce right through him as she picked him from the ground.  He’d seen this happen before when one of the large males had grabbed up a rider and his horse; neither of them stood a chance.  The creatures’ talons had sliced right through their flesh like a knife through hot butter.

 

     With one last breath Mark pushed his way into the large room that lay at the end of the corridor.  Damn where was she, he knew she was there in the darkness.  At least neither one could see the other.  At least that was one thing that they had in common.  A deep breath comes from the far corner of the room sending a warm breeze past his face.  His eyes burnt from the sulfur filled stream of air rushing towards him.  Ok she was to his left if he hugged up to the wall to the right he should be able to sneak right past her.  But, if he made just the slightest sound she’d be on him so quick he’d never know what happened.  What any warning a small ball of light bursts out from the left side of the room lighting the whole room up.  The light stings his eyes and forces him to close them for a split second so that they could adjust to the new born light.  Petrified Mark stands firmly against the wall knowing what is about to happen to him.  His eyes open and fixate upon the massive beast resting on the other side of the room.  Why didn’t she move?  What was she waiting for?  Small bursts of fire one by one rise from her right nostril and keep the room lite.  She had known he was there and she wanted him to know it also.  Mark watched her waiting for her to make her move upon him.  Damn it what was she waiting on?  She had him dead in this tracks.  Taking his eyes off her for just a second he glances towards the doorway about twelve feet to his right and then whips his eyes back towards her.  Could he make it?  The doorway was too small for her to fit through.  It was worth a shot.  If he stood there he was going to be her dinner anyways.  Maybe there was another way out of this place.  He could get into the other hallway and finally light a match to see where he was going and find some food.  Then and only then he would try to find his way out of this place.  He would have to try to find another route out of here without trying to go past her again.  He could feel his muscles tighten as he got ready to sprint for the door.  He didn’t know if he could make it, but damn if he wasn’t going to try.             

   

 

© 2008 John Parker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

- Part II, second para might need a spelling correction. A typo mistake i guess.
- '... Fields of crops lay to waste by their breath, rivers and lakes made undrinkable from their urination and the air had became so heavy with sulfur that it was almost impossible to breath.'
Very descriptive yet mysterious. It gives you the idea what Mark is up against but then it gives the readers more piece to grasp the challenging situation.
waiting for more...
Redraven

Posted 6 Years Ago


Astonishing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


ohh chilling, you have a great plot and this was very well detailed, the only thing wrong with it are a few grammer problems that can easily be fixed. very well done and i hope you continue with this. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


Interesting story - almost sound like it could be turned in to a movie. very descriptive.


Great Write
Rayne

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

419 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2008

Author

John Parker
John Parker

Canton, NC



About
I am a 34 year old horror screenplay writer and short story writer from North Carolina. Founding member of the Southern Horror Writers Association. Also a guitar player for 20 years now. Mechanic .. more..


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..