First Run

First Run

A Story by Joseph Matsuda
"

This is the first hand account about what a team faced on their way escaping from hordes of infected in Left for Dead 2 game. The source is a member of the player team involved respectively.

"
Left for Dead 2 Cooperative
Somewhere in USA
July 23, 2011
Around 08:00 PM GMT +7
Team Member 'J'

Order of Battle:
Survivors:
Team Member 'A'
Team Member 'P'
Team Member 'W'
Team Member 'J'                                     
Pilot (s)

Infected:
- Common infected
- Boomer
- Hunter
- Smoker
- Witch
- Tank 


                 
                 My team were given an objective to reach designated certain extraction point, to pull us out of the abandoned city, as it seemed to be. At that time, I didn't know anything about what I would face on that place. First time I saw after the screen changed, I was on a highway with cars scattered and or piled up in front of me, it was already twilight at that time. At the rear of a car, the starting point, some guns and apparently other kits as well such as ammunition and medical equipment were on the ground. I saw other teammates already spawned on the point, two of them were still quiet, unmoved. A bit far from me, suddenly a horde of zombie-like infected, rushed to my teammates, some of them breached to the rear where I was. They were like mindless living dead human, appeared to be pale or grey so far I remembered. First contact, I casually shot at some of them with my weapon easily, only a few or just one put their attention on me. The situation grew sour when I passed first car obstacle, there was chaos in the place, bushes on a street bank, my teammates and the infected mixed up, soon I jumped to the battle. The infected came from unexpected direction, close combat and melee took place. I even saw while we moved, an individual infected still chased my teammate in front of me, it tagged along. The first adrenaline-rushing battle took place on a motel. There, I faced a boomer on a hallway, it was easy shot, he was put down. A room to room fighting ensued, I even made a bed room to be a defense pocket luring the infected to get inside through a window. Nevertheless, on a connected two rooms with a path leading to continue the run, I had a melee with the infected, I was cornered on something higher than a floor, a view you would see when a cat cornered over a table by dogs below till resorted to draw my sidearm.
             
             
             The main pattern of the battle resembled urban warfare. We fought our way through building by building, room by room and corner to corner. Relentless infected ambush and ancient era battle charge were not uncommon. We saw The Tank, The Witch, The Hunter, The Boomer and The Smoker involved. I didn't fight as 'me' but as us, I didn't even think about myself but always ready to rush to assist a teammate who needed help without second guessing. I was ready to be left behind supposing my situation was beyond help.



Fell Behind

                 There was a time when perhaps (So far I remember) I was so busy in action till I realized (When I saw my teammates from afar) that I fell behind my teammates surrounded by infected. Furthermore, I succeeded in catching them, of course by fighting my way.


Caught Unarmed

                 We got inside a room that has a pack of medicine, perhaps ammunition as well. While I was taking  a pill, a horde rushed into the room and the situation progressed in to a melee. I was really caught unarmed and maybe even frozen for a while. With only a pill bottle on one of my hand, I fend them off (using melee option, I think it was a fist) to fend the enemy till I took chance (If I am not mistaken) to put my weapon in use. What I learned that the battle was maybe relentless in nature and without mercy. Surrender is not an option. I don't think the infected would take prisoner. 


The Gate Charge
                
               Usually, it was the infected who charged us along the way but that time, a counter took place. When I reached an entry gate in an amusement park, A horde of infected rushed as usual, it was concentrated on my front because of a gate or gates, so more contained but hypnotizing as it looked to be massive. I had a baseball bat on my hand, I rushed charging the massive infected and hitting everyone on my front horizontally. Using their own tactic. Nevertheless, because of the lack of number, I came to be neutralized.



Roller Coaster Rush
                 
               We arrived on a roller coaster track. A teammate told us to rush in this area. Along the way to reach the other end, on the track, apparently the infected scaled the track poles and ambushed us from left and right. A melee ensued. I fought as individual.. fought and rushed to the goal. At a slope, I looked back and I felt I left two of my teammates behind, maybe at that time I felt grief in my heart then I turned trying to catch a teammate. A turn to a bridge taken but soon I found myself on a trap. On a steep bridge, the infected, by scaling it, came in front of me. No difference with my rear. I fought vigorously to the end using melee and sidearm, switching rear and front thought about nothing but taking them down. A thought came to my mind to tell my friend to leave me behind. I felt desperate. I didn't remember anything after it till when I turned, there was my teammate behind. I supposed all opponents were wiped out. The place is where my performance was at the worst.




Friendly Fire 

                    Fire wrongly directed at our own teammates indeed occurred.  On my experience, it was caused by panic. There was suddenly a border line drawn between my reflect and logic. I just shot anyone moved in front of me. Especially during a melee. Trigger Happy words may describe it well. But on later progress, I stopped from doing it or at least, less likely to happen.
        

From Distance 


                     I did picking targets from distance. First time using Uzi-like or Uzi SMG from a slope near a river. To minimize threat.



Extraction 

                   In this battle, on a stadium, we deployed a more organized strategy. We put traps, picking up explosives and formed a horizontal defense line with our back covered by a wall. A helicopter was to take us out of the stadium. That's where the final battle took place, less melee. A funny but horrible thing happened. once again, I fell behind my teammates who already boarded the helicopter. Again.. surrounded by infected. In the end, I managed to board the chopper though the place where I was supposed to jump in order to board was ,perhaps, partly occupied by infected.




Source: Team member 'J'
                     

© 2011 Joseph Matsuda


Author's Note

Joseph Matsuda
Complementary Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_4_Dead_2

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

365 Views
Added on July 30, 2011
Last Updated on July 30, 2011
Tags: battle, dead, first, for, game, left, melee, person, shooter, survive, journal, fighting, run