Chapter I

Chapter I

A Chapter by Joshua

RE: Soho house operation

Director,

Many thanks for picking up this operation on such short notice. The members of The Bureau and I have taken into account the…suddenness of the anomaly’s appearance, and upon return, a meeting will be set up to discuss a raise in your pay. Take it as a thank you for your quick co-operation, and swift erection of a temporary base around the property.

Thankfully, as you are aware, we had an abundance of Techies and other staff members at our disposal. However, we are aware of EX-138’s station in the operation. You and EX-138 have a, let's say difficult but efficient work ethic, despite your differences in management.

Remember, you are the director. Don’t let an EX get under your skin. Besides, he’s the only one we have available at this given time.

Those behind info death have pushed forward the false claims of an irradiated site. Though an infestation would have been less time-consuming, it has caused the evacuation of civilians in a five-mile radius. Any accidents, well, it will be much easier to cover up. Don’t worry about that though, it's below your pay grade.

Keep the staff happy, and report any findings in the BDoA (Bureau Database of Abnormalities).

And you and EX-138 behave, we don’t want a redo of Kent.

- The Members of the Bureau

***

Jessica sighed, as she found herself doing with all emails from the Bureau. She placed her elbow upon her temporary desk and leant on her propped up hand. They were right, this was impromptu, extremly so, and to call her in during her son’s 10th birthday? If she was in any other form of employment, she would’ve flat out refused. But of course, this wasn’t no ordinary line of work.

No excuses, no matter the commitment. If you’re called up, you’re called up. Birthdays, funerals, weddings, none of it mattered when the anomalous is concerned. It was less of a job, and more like prisoner labour with paid holidays.

She knew this of course, even when they held her employment meeting. It was nothing new, it was just like the CIA, just with a few extra steps, and the percent chance inof death increased tenfold.

But again, paid holidays was nice.

Her sigh however wasn’t aimed at the Bureau’s non-chalant take on the operation, or their baseless promises of a raise (of which had been promised more times than she could count). No, it was his includement. EX-138.

And Kent.

Her thought pattern was suddenly broken by the swift appearance of a gruff, tall man. A beige coat covered a buttoned white shirt, with fitted Bureau mandated black trousers, fitted with a leathergun holster. This usually housed a modified Colt .45, specifically crafted for all staff members and directors. However, the gun occupying the holster was infact an old school Smith and Western revolver, its barrel shortened. Jessica knew who it was however as soon as the cheap scent of aftershave wafted towards her.

Behind the man followed a much shorter man, in his early 20s. His once fixed and smartened hair now rusteled with stress, with beads of sweat falling from his forehead onto his black buttoned shirt.

“Aplologies Director. I tried stopping the man but he’s an EX and-”
“Thats enough Davis, you may leave”. Jessica cuts through the intern’s words, who inturn nods, and turns to leave, closing the temporary flimsy wooden door behind him.

“What the hell Jess? Radiation? Really? Like hell any muppet with more that two braincells will believe that bullshit!”
Smithson slams his fist on the desk, causing the coffee in Jessica’s mug to vibrate harshly.

She sighed.

Don’t let him under your skin.

“If you have a complaint EX-138, you can take it up with the Members of the B-”

“Oh cut the corporate word vomit Jess! You saw the scans the Techies did, there isn’t anything remotely radioactive for miles!”

Another deep breath.

“Siting a radioactive incident was the only way we could clear the residential areas in the time that we did. Efficiancy is key here EX-138”

“Efficiancy? Sure, efficient for the cover up’s if this s**t goes sideways. Never saw you as much of a Bureau bootlicker Jess, but I suppose Kent has had an affect on us bo-”

Jessica slams her hands on her desk and stand up.

“Thats enough EX-138!”

“Use my goddamn name for christs sake!”

Tension in the room became palpable, and Jess felt a surge of rage bubble within her. How could he just mention Kent like he wasn’t at fault too? They didn’t know anyone was left. She still sees those kids in her dreams too.

Jessica sits back down, and looks up and Smithison.

“If thats all you’ve come to say, I suggest you leave Smithison”.

Smithson struggled, but finally managed to rid himself of the tension within himself. Reaching into his coat pocket, he pulls out his notepad, and throws it onto the desk.
“I did a small amount of recon around the house, thought I’d share.”
Jess flips through the scribbled notes provided, in turn transfering them onto a document on her laptop. Silence permiated throughout the room, with each opportunity Smithson took to talk swiftly cut down by a hard stare from the Director.

“Thank you for this extra information Smithson, you may leave.”
“Look Jess, you know I don’t mean to-”
The Director again points a cold stare towards Smithson.
“Leave, Smithson.”
In her hands, Jess plays with a small purple stress ball, the soft foam becoming more wrinkled and worn with each squeeze.
Smithson sighs and nods, but before leaving, checks the top corners of the walls, before retrieving a folded piece of paper from his coat sleeve, before placing it on the desk, and turning to leave.
“You know,” Jess begins, “You should really wait for your designated squad before jumping into unknown anomalous territory. EX doesn’t stand for expendable Smithson.”
Smithson turns, giving a wry smile towards the Director.
“Sure Jess. See you”.
Upon the doors closing, Jess lets out a held in breath, the exhale long and hard. She opens her desk draw to store her worn purple ball into, before noticing the paper which Smithson had left on the desk. She didn’t ask what it was, but considering his cautious actions of camera checking before handing it over, she imagined it was important. Closing the draw, she reaches for the paper, and unfolds it. Her grip on the paper becomes strained, with crinkles appearing upon the piece’s surface.

Songbird

The draw opens. From it, Jess retrieves a small Clipper lighter, and ignites the paper, watching it burn. When nothing but ashes remained, she swept them onto the floor, placed her purple stress ball into the draw and closes it. Her hand reaches under her glasses, and she rubs the top of her nose, relaxing her eyes. She was tired. Stressed. But she couldn’t stop, as whatever this house was, it just became interesting. And it was connected to her and Smithson somehow.

She chuckles as her alarm on her phone goes off, with a reminder for the first expedition starting in ten minutes. Jess stands, grabbing her blazer from her chair, and moves towards the door, having one final thought coming to mind.

If anyone was going to deliver my karma, it was going to be those damn kids.


© 2022 Joshua


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

7 Views
Added on July 17, 2022
Last Updated on July 19, 2022
Tags: Mystery, agent, thriller, crime, horror, conspiracy


Author

Joshua
Joshua

Stoke, United Kingdom



About
Just here to share my poetry and any short stories I begin writing. One of my anthologies, "A Gaze Into Another Life", is available on amazon kindle! more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Joshua


The House The House

A Book by Joshua