Chapter 50

Chapter 50

A Chapter by Jemma Packman

Indigo rings the doorbell. After a few seconds, Summer answers the door and says “You made it. Just in time. The boy has to get to bed but he refuses until he’s seen you. Come in.”
Indigo steps inside, closes the door behind her and says “Why until he’s seen me?”
“Something about needing a goodnight kiss from both his moms.” Indigo freezes. Summer laughs. “I’m kidding. Ethan wants to ask you something. It’s me that wants the kiss.”
Indigo kisses Summer. “What does he want to ask?”
“He won’t tell me.”
Ethan runs into the hallway and says “Indigo, you’re here.”
Indigo says “I heard someone wanted to ask me a question. Is that true?”
“Yes, please. Do you want a drink?”
“I would, thank you.”
“Mommy, can you get Indigo a drink so I can talk to her?”
Summer smiles and says “Sure, son.” Summer turns to Indigo. “What do you want?”
Indigo says “I think you know.”
Summer winks and goes to the kitchen. Ethan grabs Indigo’s hand and leads her in to the living room. Ethan says “Please take a seat.” Indigo sits on the couch. Ethan sits next to her. “Are you comfortable?”
“Yeas, thank you. Ethan, what is this about?”
“We need to wait for mommy.”
Summer enters the living room, passes Indigo her drink and says “Why are you waiting for me?”
“Mommy, sit next to Indigo, please.”
Summer sits down. “What’s going on, Ethan?”
“Mommy, I love you.”
“I love you too, son, but you’re scaring me.”
“It’s school…”
“What about school?”
“There’s this thing and I don’t have a daddy…”
Summer shouts “Ethan, if you’re getting bullied because you don’t have a dad, I want you to tell me. Right now.”
Ethan starts crying. Indigo says “Summer, calm down. Ethan, come sit with me.” Ethan sits on Indigo’s lap. “What’s wrong? Why did you want to ask about school?”
Ethan says “I don’t think I should say now.”
“Why not?”
“I made mommy angry.”
“She’s not angry. She’s worried. Are people saying or doing bad things to you because you haven’t got a dad?”
“No.”
Summer leans back with a sigh and says “Oh, thank f**k.”
“That’s a bad word!”
Indigo says “Yes it is, and we’ll punish her later if you tell me what’s going on at school.”
“We’re having a career week and everyone gets to take their mommy and daddy in to talk about their jobs. But I don’t have a daddy so I was wondering would you do it?”
“Why me?”
“Grams is old, Uncle Silvain is mean and has the same job as mommy, and when you and mommy get married you’ll be like a daddy but a girl.”
“What makes you say your mommy and me will get married?”
“Grams said it’ll happen because mommy has always had a plan.”
Summer says “Ok, buddy, time for bed.”
“But Indigo hasn’t answered my question. Will you do it? Please?”
Indigo says “Of course I will. You let me know when it is?”
“Thank you.” Ethan kisses Indigo’s cheek. “I’m going to have the hottest parents in the school.”
Summer says “Are you saying you don’t have the hottest mommy already?”
“Yeah, but Grams said you look more like a boy and you’re better looking than the other kids daddies. She said I get my handsome from you.”
“You need to stop repeating what your Grams tell you.”
“Why?”
“Because she’s f*****g nuts.”
“Mommy! You said a bad word again!”
“Yeah, yeah. I got a potty mouth. Now, come on. Bed.”
Indigo says “Hang on, Sums. There’s something me and Ethan need to do first.”
“Really? What?”
Indigo looks at Ethan and smiles. “Your punishment. Tickle attack!”
Ethan jumps on Summer as he and Indigo tickle her. Summer squirms, laughs, stands up with Ethan in her arms and says “You think that’s funny?”
Indigo and Ethan both say “Yes.”
“I’m sorry I said a bad word. Twice.”
Indigo says “And?”
Summer looks at Ethan. “I’m sorry I yelled and made you cry. Indigo was right. I wasn’t angry, I was worried. I didn’t mean to scare you. Can you forgive me?”
Ethan wraps his arms around Summer’s neck and says “I forgive you, Mommy.” Ethan kisses Summer’s cheek and lays his head on her shoulder. “I’m ready for bed now.”
“Ok, buddy. Say goodnight to Indigo.”
Indigo stands up and says “I’ll say goodnight to both of you now.”
“You’re leaving?”
“I’ve got an early meeting and I’ve not been getting much sleep recently.”
Ethan says “You don’t need beauty sleep. You’re pretty enough already.”
“Handsome is not the only thing he got from you.” Summer smirks. Indigo kisses Ethan’s forehead. “Little man, will you close your eyes and cover your ears for me?”
Ethan nods and does as he’s asked. Summer says “Why’s he doing that?”
“Do you want him to see this?”
Indigo kisses Summer. “I guess not. And the ears?”
“Want to explain what we didn’t finish in my office?”
“Hell no.”
“So, when will we finish that?”
“Soon. I won’t make you wait too long.”
“You know I hate waiting.”
“I know.”
Summer kisses Indigo. Sabrina says “Can you not do that while holding my grandson?”
“I’m taking him to bed now, Mom. I’ll see you soon, Indi.”
Summer kisses Indigo’s cheek and goes upstairs. Indigo says “I’ll let myself out. Nice to see you again, Sabrina.”
Sabrina says “Indigo, wait. I have something for you.” Sabrina opens a small cupboard and takes out a box. “This is everything I have on Summer’s case. Please, take it.”
Indigo takes the box. “Why are you giving this to me?”
“I want to know who hurt my little girl, and I trust you to take care of my family. I saw how you were with Ethan. I know you’ll protect them both.”
“I will. With everything I have. Thank you”
Indigo goes to the door. As she opens it, Sabrina calls out to her. “Indigo, Summer told me what you said about Ethan today.”
“I, erm…”
“He should have been your son, too. Maybe one day he will be.”
Indigo nods and leaves.


© 2016 Jemma Packman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on July 2, 2016
Last Updated on July 2, 2016

Finding Summer


Author

Jemma Packman
Jemma Packman

Hull, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Jemma Packman


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Jemma Packman