Chapter 51

Chapter 51

A Chapter by Jemma Packman

Indigo sat in her office looking through papers and playing with her necklace. Meredith enters the office and says “Indigo, what are you still doing here?”
Indigo says “I was going through some new information on an old case.”
“You were in early this morning. Don’t you have a girl to go see?”
“Not tonight. She’s spending some time with her family.”
Meredith sits down. “Not invited?”
“I was but I need to work on this.”
“Indigo, I admire your dedication, but sometimes you put too much focus on your work and it can come between a relationship. Believe me.”
“I won’t let that happen.”
“I said the same thing before I got divorced.”
“I’m doing this for her.”
Meredith sighs. “What is it?”
“Summer’s rape case. It’s never been solved. I want to see if there’s anything I can do to get it re-opened or at least find out who did it.”
“Let me help. I have experience in criminal law.”
“I can’t ask you to do that.”
“You didn’t. I’m offering.”
Indigo nods. “Maybe a fresh set of eyes will help. I know there’s something I’m not seeing.”
Meredith takes some papers off the desk and looks through them. “This is brutal. There were no leads?”
“No.”
“There may be a case for attempted murder here, but it’s weak.” Indigo groans and plays with her necklace. Meredith looks up. “What are you fiddling with?”
“Oh, it’s a necklace Summer gave me. She had it on her when she was attacked.”
“May I see it?” Indigo nods and leans forwards. Meredith leans across the desk to have a look. “It’s beautiful, but it looks broken.”
Indigo laughs. “It has another half.”
Meredith looks at the papers again. “There’s only one necklace on the evidence sheet. Where was the other half?”
“When Summer gave me this a few days ago, she said I had the other half.”
“You had it?”
“Yeah. When Summer gave me this, she told me she had just picked them both up and when she came round after the attack, she only had the one.”
“What was on the other half? And how did you get it?”
“It has my name on it. They were meant to be like promise rings. I’d have her heart and she’d have mine. Now we have.”
“That’s really sweet. Is she still like that now?”
Indigo smiles. “Yeah, well mostly. She’s a lot more guarded now, but she still knows how to wrap me round her finger.”
“I didn’t ask about your sexy life. But, if she still makes you feel like that, marry the girl.”
“Her mother and her son think I will.”
“Son?”
“The result of this was an amazing little boy. I’ve only met him twice but I feel such a strong connection with him. Is that weird?”
“No, I don’t think so. Anyway, back to the necklace. How did you get the half with your name on?”
“My brother gave it to me a few days later.”
“Where did he get it?”
“I don’t know. I never asked.”
“Will you now?”
“Yes. It’s a lead. Oh my God. Thank you, Meredith.”
“Don’t thank me yet. I’ll have Zarifa look at all the jewellers in the area at that time.”
“I’ll ask Summer. Zarifa’s trying to get the original police file.”
“Ok. I’ll tell her to bring the file to me.”
“Why?”
“Two reasons. One, the police report will have photos in which you won’t want to see, and two, I’m taking over this case. You’re too close to this. I will allow you to investigate some aspects but I will decide what and when.”
“What? Why?”
“I told you, you’re too close to this. The more you find out what happened, the more you’ll look at her like a victim.”
“I can’t be shut out on this. I promised I’d protect them.”
Meredith stands up, collects the papers and puts them in the box. “You won’t be, and you’ll all be protected. Ok? I won’t let you down, Indigo. You have my word.”
Meredith picks up the box and walks towards the door. “Thank you.”
“No problem. Now, go home and relax.”
Meredith leaves the office. Indigo rubs her face, grabs her phone, presses the screen and puts it to her ear. “Hey… Everything’s fine… Can you come to mine tonight? I need to talk… I’m just leaving work now. Give me thirty minutes?... Yeah. See you soon. Bye.”


© 2016 Jemma Packman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on July 2, 2016
Last Updated on July 2, 2016

Finding Summer


Author

Jemma Packman
Jemma Packman

Hull, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Jemma Packman


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Jemma Packman