When do you speak out?

When do you speak out?

A Poem by Jon Roggie

Sometimes the contemplative moment hits me,
  and of course the questions start.

A bombardment of images,
  combined with the endless soundtrack....

What else could be expected?

Rage is easy,
  and so very simple.

Just be carried away with the mob mentality.

Joy,
  overshadowed by materialism.

Pain,
  echoed by random tears,
     mostly ignored.

Once in awhile,
  voices should sound from the silence,
    carrying across the room.

The message reflecting the emotion,
  but understanding the cause.
  

   Maybe,
     opening an eye.
        One not shadowed by the crowd.

© 2014 Jon Roggie


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It seems to be the way of the world these days, but as long as we have voices speaking out, it doesn't have to be. It is very rarely armies that change the world, no matter what the history books say, it is the individuals actions and words that can have the biggest changes to our times. Keep speaking my friend, thought provoking write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jon Roggie

7 Years Ago

Thank you.
Too often, words are ignored. Simple acts are not noticed. Armies change the lan.. read more
Perhaps, maybe.. we need cut down on both speech and silence. Then, sit back to analyse which has given or taken most pleasure, empathy, courage, and so forth. There's a saying something like.. 'silence is only golden for those digging at the heel of a rainbow' .. can take that or leave it. However, how would someone suggest that with body language? Your words are so utterly thoughtful, they make for debate, yet your phrases lie gentle and logical. Maybe, speaking out, daring, to dare lies in the day to day and certainly not politics - words balanced with sanity - whatever that means!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jon Roggie

7 Years Ago

Wow. You took some time on this one. To be honest, this one was sparked by the current events of t.. read more
Its not enough to feel bad but to endeavour to truly understand. And perhaps even address. Critique of pop culture. The last line original and impactful.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shannon

7 Years Ago

Lol. It's like hide and seek? Thanks for the heads up. It might help me frame future reads.
Jon Roggie

7 Years Ago

Due warning. I am not consistent. It is always what I am feeling at the moment.
Sometimes, .. read more
Shannon

7 Years Ago

Confession: stories are by far my favourite, even in poetry form.
Wow. I really like this. It's got a nice flow and a nice, contemplative nature to it. You're really talented.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jon Roggie

7 Years Ago

I can't believe this one is almost two years old. I just ramble on. Thank you.
'pain, echoed by random tears, mostly ignored." this is so true, we often ignore our pain even if we are aware of it...it rides on our backs without much attention. thank you for sharing this beautiful and insightful piece.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jon Roggie

7 Years Ago

If you enjoy, and find something within these words, I did something. It means something to me. Th.. read more
Intense in thoughts. I loved these lines:

."Once in awhile,
voices should sound from the silence,
carrying across the room."



Posted 7 Years Ago


Jon Roggie

7 Years Ago

This one feels more true with each passing day. Thank you.
Powerful use of thoughts and words. You left a lot for the reader to think about. Materialism is the need of the new generations. Few see real world. I believe we must do what we want. Not follow the sheep and the cattle to the slaughter house. Thank you Jon for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jon Roggie

7 Years Ago

I still think there should be more to this one. It does not feel complete.
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Poetry support to motivate readers to think. This poem did.
I like this odd assortment of observations & feelings, which so perfectly illustrates what you've shared in your profile! I don't say much with my mouth, mostly with my fingers, these days. But there are all kinds of ways to speak, especially not to forget body language & facial expressions! I can relate to each one of your observations here in a different way.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jon Roggie

7 Years Ago

Thank you. My rambles usually come to a point, even though they may take awhile. You do have to no.. read more
Ah, yes, those contemplative moments that begin a deluge of words, feelings and images that must be put down. It still surprises me that some people do not seem to notice the things that we writers do. I know that I want to catch the moment, the feeling, the image so that it will not disappear. I love how you end with the hope that someone will receive the message and understand, perhaps making them more receptive to their own heart. Just my take. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Jon Roggie

7 Years Ago

This one still keeps popping up. Granted it takes a couple of years to get this kind of number.
read more
Shimmerbliss/CAF

7 Years Ago

I will indeed! :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1627 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on November 28, 2014
Last Updated on December 1, 2014

Author

Jon Roggie
Jon Roggie

Porterville, CA



About
I tend to ramble, and rarely explain myself. Take that as you will more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..